chi1
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:30 am 
Post subject: alcohol and preganancy
Hi,
I have just joined this forum.
Just found out last wk that I am pregnant. This is not a planned pregnancy, hence I am sooooooo anxious and extremely worried because the last 4 - 5 wks ( prob since i conceived) i have drank quite a lot over the wkends as have had many celebrations. Apart from that I do drink the glass of wine or 2 over dinner as well...
Since finding out i am preganant i have stopped alcohol straight away.... However
What is the likelihood of my baby being born with FAS or even suffering any mental affects?? Are the chances high?
your opinions would be greatly appreciated!!
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:19 am 
Post subject:
Hi Chi

well, it kinda depends who you talk to to get an answer! I had a couple of weekends where I got really REALLY drunk early on, before I knew I was pregnant, and I was terrified I'd done damage. It is theoretically possible that you COULD have done damage, but you would have to be quite unlucky. The way the nurse explained it to me was that almost all FSA babies are due to consistent alcohol abuse or binge drinking throughout preganancy - NOT the occasional glass of wine or very early days drinking. Very little of what you eat and drink get through to affect the baby in the first 3-4 weeks.

Do ask your doctor though as they will be able to give you better stats/figures and more reassurances. As long as you've stopped now, you should be fine. From now up until about 6/7 months is all the crucial development stuff, so best not to push it over the next few months!!

Good luck - hope it all goes OK

Anna

p.s. welcome to the forums Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular