Waking up upset

jok33g
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:38 pm 
Post subject: Waking up upset
Hi
My son (2yr9mths) keeps waking up about an hour (sometimes less) after going to bed and he sobs and cries almost hysterically. I am really not sure what it is and I find it quite disturbing.

I don't know if its bad dreams or the fact that I am not in the room. He has only started it recently although he has never been a great sleeper and always ends up in my bed sometime in the night (something I wished I had knocked on the head when he first started it). Maybe its a faze.

Has anyone else had experience of this?

Jo
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:12 am 
Post subject:
hi Jo

Isaac has had a lot of instances of waking upset recently. I've been putting it down to a combination of house move and new baby. He does seem to be improving slightly. Has anything changed recently that could be worrying your LO?
Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:30 pm 
Post subject:
Hi
There is nothing that I can think of that has changed recently. I thought he could have started being scared of the dark so I have the black out blind up a bit and open the door more. He has asked me to open the door, so it could be that. He seems to wake every night whether we have done loads or not done much. I hope its a faze.

Jo
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:31 pm 
Post subject:
hey Jo

I did a bit of reading, and at his age it seems likely its his imagination kicking in. It may be worth talking to him in a calm moment about anything that might scare him. He may need to have a comfort routine at bedtime where you check in his wardrobe and under his bed and reassure him everything is safe. The door open thing could be that he needs reassuring that you are close. If you have a baby monitor from when he was younger, you could try plugging it in and explaining to him that it is so mummy can hear him, so you can check he is OK all might long - might be enough to relax him.

My nephew is a similar age and is having a similar phase - sis in law had to change him out to a proper bed as he was utterly convinced that his cotbed was infested with spiders, and there was no way he could continue to sleep in it!!

Looks like it should pass eventually though - although it might be quite a long phase, depending on his imagination!!

Anna
xx
Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:41 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks Anna!

I have talked to him about what has woken him and he says he is missing me! I have been using a night light but tonight, for the first time, I have left his bedside light on, slightly covered so he doesn't think its morning if he wakes up!

He always wakes in the night and ends up coming into my bed. Something he started perhaps over a year ago now. I should have put a stop to it then but at the time I had recently left my violent OH and I hated staying up in the night with him as I started thinking about everything. So for a easy night I let him sleep in with me. Now its a habit I think.

I think he might have a good imagination. He certainly remembers things that have happen months ago. I just hope that he isn't remembering the bad times with my OH.

Thanks for info, I appreciate it

Jo Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular