car seat problem ..... i dont know what to do

tinajane
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:20 pm 
Post subject: car seat problem ..... i dont know what to do
hi again ,
my little 1 is now 15 weeks old and she is currentally in a small car seat that can be removed from the car, but to be honest its lookin like shes gettin a bit big for it, i ve got a big britax 1 that is ment to b left in the car, and its ment to be suitable from new born, but when we tried usin it back facing she looked like she was gonna fall out of it,
so im just wondering if any1 has put a young baby in a forward facing car seat and what the reason behind not puttin them forward facing is, if any1 could help me i'd be really really greatful because i dont know what to do,
thanks tina
MrsMummy
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:36 pm 
Post subject:
hi, they can't go forward facing as if you stop quickly it would seroiusly damage your little ones neck.

i put both my kids in the britax one from 6 months and all my friends who have kids all waited untill at least 6 months aswell, at 15 weeks i wouldn't imagine they had out grown there baby one, my little boy is a big boy and when he hit 6 months he started winging when he went in so we knew he wasn't comfortable. i know the britax ones say from birth but i personally wouldn't put them in that young, but thats just my opinion i am sre a lot of people would say different
Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:28 pm 
Post subject:
Hi there!! Just on the subject on why you shouldnt face an infant forward. Even the constant stop start motion of the car can cause injury over a period of months very similar to Shaken Baby Syndrome, In the event of even a minor nose to tail accident, the impact is enough to over stretch the spine and spinal cord. Its recommended that your child remain rear facing till 12 months of age, at this stage they are more capable of bracing themselves more efficiently than a younger child. Some people forward face a little younger because their child grows to long and their legs become scrunched up against the back seat, but try and leave as long as you can. Over all though its a personal choice and as long as you can make an informed decision, you have to do what you think is best for you and bubs. If you really concerned. visit your local child health clinic and get there advice.
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:03 am 
Post subject:
agree with both the above Very Happy

Isaac is a big baby, now just over 6 months old and still in his rear-facing seat. It's a pretty tight fit, but he seems OK with it and I wouldn't be comfortable putting him in a front facer until (hopefully) 9 months old. At 15 weeks yours is definitely too young to be in a front facer. Might be worth double checking that you are seating it right on the back seat? We had ours at the wrong angle which is why his feet looked scrunched - its much better with a small adjustment. Mothercare and Halfords both do car seat checks if you aren't sure.
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:26 am 
Post subject:
thanks the both of you for ur advice,
the reason i put her in her forward facing car seat is because the car seat i had was off a travel system, and really was to small for her, her legs were hagging over then end of it,
im gonna pop down to halford to day and buy a much bigger rear facing car seat as we do a lot of travellng because my parents live 3 hrs away, i wanted something thats more comfortable for her to sit in,
so thank you much for your advice im really greatful for it
cheers tina
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular