81%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 11
HannahM
AskBaby Team
AskBaby Team
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:46 pm 
Post subject: Bringing Up Baby
Wow - I finally managed to catch this program last night (had it recorded on video) and I must say I was completely shocked by the 'Strict Routine' - to me it all seems a bit heartless.

Having said that we were discussing it in the office today and one of my collegues tried out something similar with his little boy (leaving him in his pram in the garden and feeding him at arms length) and now he's an incredlbly sociable little thing - guess it might work after all!

Did anyone else watch it?

Han x
Tilley
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:38 pm 
Post subject:
I think its awful - can't imagine being that cold to your baby even if it does work.
Littlemo
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:19 pm 
Post subject: Bringing up baby
Hi,

Never posted a comment on this site before, but felt had to pass comment on this Ch4 show. Our second baby is due next month, and we've definitely found that treating your child as an individual, with his/her own needs/patterns etc, is the way to go. I.e the 60's way is best. Our son has slept all through the night from 5 weeks, and still, at aged nearly two, sleeps for at least 14 hours at a time. Can't believe anyone would seriously suggest cuddling for ten mins a day and abandoning baby in the garden for hours at a time. Love, attention, and a complete disregard for what a book says is, I think, the key. No-one knows your child better than you, least of all some author who, the chances are, has never had a child of their own in the first place!! Save your money, or at least spend it on something more useful and trust your instincts. I guarantee you'll get a happy and relaxed child in return!!!!
mamamia
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:29 pm 
Post subject: Bringin up baby
My mum told me of a woman who left her child outside in the garden for three hours inside a pram with the hood up. During that time the position of the sun changed and the baby died of sunstroke. It seems madness to me that a helpless, vulnerable baby should be left unsupervised for that length of time, apart from anything else a curious cat could explore the interior of the pram, weather conditions could change, older children could gain access to your garden even though you might think that it is 'safe', a football might suddenly arrive from a neighbour's garden. Where are the parents as protectors of their child's safety?

I thought it was interesting that Claire Verity expressed her views as though relishing taking part as the wicked witch in some pantomime. She was arrogant, obnoxious and smug - I could not imagine anyone paying for her services, she spoke to the parents as if they were small children about to do something naughty if their baby was 'caught' being out of bed after 7pm.. I also thought it was interesting that she comforted a crying mother who was not allowed to comfort her crying baby of two days old - why is it acceptable to comfort the mother but not the child?

Jay Nicol
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:44 am 
Post subject:
well, I didn't see this programme - but it sounds horrific!!! why on earth would you not comfort your 2 day old baby when he cries? It's a bit sick if you ask me. Poor little thing.

I guess for me I'll see how it goes (8 weeks til 1st baby due) but I'd like to think I'll be able to work out a routine that suits us both, with as little distress as possible, eventually!! I most certainly won't be leaving my baby in the garden for 3 hours!! (or in fact anywhere)
dame
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:47 am 
Post subject: bringing up baby
I too think the strict routine is too strict, even though some of her ideas do work. I suggest the baby whisperer by tracy hogg. The routines in there are so realistic and my baby thrives on it.
skyeblu07
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:26 pm 
Post subject: programme is just ridiculous
I watched the programme with my husband and we both thought it was complete rubbsih no book no matter what decade it is from should dictate how you look after your child. some methods from each one works such as routine. I have two children and iam now expecting my 3rd in 10 weeks. I never followed any methods with the care of my two as i felt it was best to be with the baby and determine for myself what works and both my children as both are unique had different needs. I followed a few simple rules which was routine, love care and undivided attention. whenever my children required my attention or help they got it and whenever they cried fro a hug they were hugged. They had a basic guide of feeds every 4 hours however if they were hungry earlier or later they were fed when they wanted it. as at the end of day just because we are parents doesn't mean we have the right to say that our child doesn't need feeding just now as they have a set time. If they are hungry they need to be fed regardless of time. and lets face it we all need and crave love and affection.
dame
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:25 pm 
Post subject: routine
I think a good routine is essential, as my little girl will 9 out of 10 go straight to sleep at the same times each day without me having to stay with her and feeds at regular intervals, but like you say, i do feed her if she is upset because of hunger as growth spurts do happen. My 7 month has gone off her solids and so will give her a bottle sometimes instead of her drink of water. But we all do things different and it is what works for mum, dad and baby that matters. Laughing
dame
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:27 pm 
Post subject:
I think routine is essential and do what is best for baby and mum and dad. My 7 month now goes to sleep and the same tlime most days and is happy to go sleep without me being there.
KaylaEmsley
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:26 pm 
Post subject:
i think a routine is essential, my babygets all the attention she needs, bottles every four hours with baby rice twice a day play time in between and sleeps when she wants to, the only thing im really strict about is when her bedtime is! all this has worked now at the age of 11 weeks she in a cot on her own and sleep from 11- 9 everyday, the only thing id suggest to people if they cant get baby to sleep is to change there routine to bath then feed before bed as your baby counts bath time as play time and it harder to put her down afterwards as she still thinks it plaly time, ive noticed that my dasughteris alway more tired after a feed than a bath, but thats just my routine a its works for me

chees kayla x
dame
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:40 pm 
Post subject: bringing up baby
My little girl slept through the night pretty much straight away too, my routine was 8-4am with a feed and then from 5 weeks didnt need a nte feed, but slept 7-7am and was nice to have our evenings! She still goes down at 7 but now wakes as has got dependant on her dummy and we have to now take it away from her really! dreading it!
kazzz
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:37 am 
Post subject:
I never saw the program my daughter never used to sleep in her cot from day one.The night she was born she slept in with me most of the night she just wouldn't settle in hospital.When i took her home she would have about an hour in her mosses basket then be in with me for few hours then i'd put her back in her bed & gradualy she would sleep longer in her bed...I breast fed her for 2 weeks as was getting sore breasts.i used to get her off to sleep before putting her down...But this time around i will do things totaly different...I will not breast feed,i shall not speak to him on night feeds so he knows that its bed time,ishall let him get himself off to sleep by listening to his musicals & HOPEFULLY he will sleep like a good boy....But who knows what will happen?...lol...

Karen....
dame
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:11 pm 
Post subject: babt talk
How old is your baby Karen? Mine is 8 months, she is doing better on her dummy now and seems to keep it in at nte and sleeps till 7 so will just put her in her own room for now and try dummy later on!She does go sleep without our help which I learnt from my first child who is now 9 whom i had to rock to sleep most ntes!! and we have our evenings, which is what i craved and was determined to get this time round.
kazzz
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:46 am 
Post subject:
Hi my daughter will br 9 in January...

Karen...
dame
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:21 am 
Post subject:
Hi, oh i thought when you said this time round you will do it differently you had another one. Are you expecting. We have deicided to take your advice and leave her with the dummy until she is 1 and just put her in her own room this wkd!!Ah! Hope she will be ok. She has actually started putting the dummy in herself, think I will get a few more and place them around her cot.!!He he..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular