Legal for baby to be put in front seat of car?

kerrylyn78
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:04 pm 
Post subject: Legal for baby to be put in front seat of car?
hi guys - does anyone know if it's legal to put newborn baby in front seat of a car? Any advice much appreciated - many thanks x
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:55 am 
Post subject:
hi dnt know but the uk but deffinatley illegalk here in australia
as it is very dangerous the back seat is the best place for your baby up until the age of 7 yrs old hope this helpsi cnt imagine it bemuch different at all over there
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:05 am 
Post subject:
not recommended over here in New Zealand either, I dont think its illegal here but it so unsafe, even in a minor accident. More people die in the front passenger seat than anywhere else in the car. If you have an airbag in the front passenger seat then there is a high risk of it killing your babe, even if it went off accidentally. Babes in the front seat are so much of a distraction to the driver too.
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:57 am 
Post subject:
Hi Kerrylyn

a newborn needs to be in a lie-flat or rear facing child seat. Lie-flats only fit on rear sits, rear facings fit in either. The reason you should be wary of using the front seat is that most cars now have airbags, and if you have a child in any car seat (front or rear facing) on a seat with an active airbag, they are likely to be killed or badly injured by the airbag in the event of an accident. I'm pretty sure its not illegal though as long as you don't have passenger airbags.

Full details here: http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/campaigns/childcarseats/childcarseats.htm

Hope that helps

Anna
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:25 pm 
Post subject:
many thanks all xx
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:48 pm 
Post subject:
yes its legal. but cant do it if you have airbag. i have airbag but switch mine off wen baby is in front.

hoping4
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:28 pm 
Post subject:
hi i thought i would also say that yes it is fine to have baby in the front but only if you are able to turn your airbag OFF.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular