Which car seat is the best?

Confused2B
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:07 pm 
Post subject: Which car seat is the best?
Hi. I'm now 6 months and we're starting to look for a first car seat, but there are just so many! Is everyone else having this problem?

I just wanted to know how other people are deciding?

Are they all as safe as each other, or should I be going for a particular type of seat? Where can I go for advice? Are there particular features that I should look out for, or has anyone had problems?

Any help from wise heads gratefully received!
ElliottsDaddy
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:04 am 
Post subject:
we went for the Maxi Cosi - for several reasons:

1. It had an excellent review in Which? - safety etc
2. It fitted onto our Quinny three wheeler.

They didn't have the isofix version then but if you can have isofix get it, it will save you time and effort getting the seat in and out.

I would highly recommend this brand.
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:25 am 
Post subject:
the Which safety reviews are really useful definitely - as there is a difference between the different brands. You will, like most of us, have a price range of course, so make sure you look within that range Very Happy

Have you already got a pram etc? If not, then it might be worth going for a travel system, where you will often get the carseat effectively free. We went for the Jane Slalom Pro Matrix system, which has a normal carseat, and the added bonus that the carrycot part is also a lie flat carseat - making it much easier for the journey home from hospital, and any early weeks car journeys before baby's neck can support his head properly. Also a good safety record on the brand. Not cheap if you pay full price (about 500+) but we got the full set for 400 with a bit of internet shopping about Very Happy

Also I'd advise you go look at some carseats - some of them feel quite flimsy, whereas others are built much more sturdily. Mothercare, mamas and Papas etc big stores will usually have lots on display, and a knowledgeable person available to discuss with you.

let us know how you get on!

p.s. which reports aren't free, but you should be able to find them in your local library with any luck, saving you spending any extra.
Gayle
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:09 pm 
Post subject:
We have a bugaboo cameleon and the maxi cozi is fantastic, you can also buy an attachment which secures the seat to isofix cars which i recomend everyone buys for that extra security.
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:55 pm 
Post subject:
hey confused Very Happy

the decision method is going to be a bit personal to you, depending on what's important - but, you should always base the choice around a few main things that are essential.

- safety
- comfort
- does it fit in your car
- sturdiness
- price
- flexibility (i.e. up until what age is it useable?)

those were our main criteria for choice, I'd say Which guides and testing them out in the shop are you best methods for really choosing.

Good luck!
marry
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:54 am 
Post subject: Which car seat is the best?
Hi,

I have found a website that is selling infant car seats and I had bought one infant car seat for my 3 month old son. You can yourself choose a suitable infant car seat for your infant. There are varieties of car seats that will suit your children, infants and pets.

infant car seats - http://www.ordercarseatsdirect.com
Penska
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:51 pm 
Post subject: which car seat is best?
Hi

We've had a Maxi Cosy for ages and it's been superb. Not only does it tick all the safety boxes, it's also really easy to fit in any vehicle, ours has been in a Landrover, a VW, a Saab, a Toyota. We had an older Britax seat that was really awkward to fit so the new Maxi Cosy was very welcome. The thing I like most is that it's really easy to adjust when baby falls asleep. It will recline really easily and to an angle that really supports the child. No flopping heads. Our little girl is now 4 and by just adjusting the straps up a notch it's still as comfy as ever for her.
Look on e-bay for a second hand one, then just buy a brand new cover - perfect!
caramumofmany
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:59 pm 
Post subject:
i just bought a carseat from mothercare the cheapest they had which was 40 pound its nice and big and does the trick i would just rather not pay out for something really exspensive that they aren't going to be in for more than 5 mins
Penska
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:25 pm 
Post subject: which car seat is best?
Oh I disagree, a good car seat will suit a child up to 5 years, that's a lot more than 5 minutes! Paying a little extra for safety and convenience is well worth the money. I know, I've had cheapo seats and they're rubbish in comparison. Our oldest is now 7 and into a booster seat and even that's important to get a good one and keep them as comfy as possible.
caramumofmany
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm 
Post subject:
sorry not trying to make a debate but i have 5 children so we have been very selective about what we have bought i mean we have had carseats in the past that just haven't been any good and we also have a caseat that can be used up to the age of 5 but after sitting the baby in it it just didn't look right so we bought the first stage car seat which is great
http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B000ILEQM4/sr=1-4/qid=1202819297/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=44450031&mcb=core
this is the carseat i have so its hardly a cheap cheap one
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Travel with your Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular