kids and MP3

mistyrain3g
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:38 pm 
Post subject: kids and MP3
My fiance and I are in a BIG disagreement about MP3 players. He believes it is ok for his 9 year old to have a MP3... whereas I say she is to young. I said that my 9 year old daughter is not allowed to listen to his 9 year old daughters MP3 player because she is to too young. His daughter has a selection of modern pop and country songs on her player... not childrens music. I believe if they are playing music in the clubs children should not be singing along to possiable inapproiate lyrics. For example his daughter had "barbie girl" on the MP3 and taught me some lyrics that are NOT good!!!! Even after this he believes there is no difference between listening to the radio and listening to an MP3!!!!! I know from personal experience that you hear ALOT more if you are listening to an MP3 vs. the radio. Am I over reacting??? Opinions, advice please.
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:51 pm 
Post subject:
Before i met my hubby my son only really listened to the music that i listened to ( 60s and country and western) but then i met my hubby and now he listens to anything from 60s to modern stuff like Knickleback and Foo Fighters. He has a couple of CDs and has his own MP3 with Queen, Pink Flloyd on it, well to be honest its got allsorts on it. (He is 9)

He sings to CDs in the car and to the music channels on T.V. but if theres a word he knows he should no say he hums that bit or misses it out. Hes heard much worse from the youths that hang around the church yard just up the road.

At the end of the day its your choice on what your daughter listens to or watches but i think that most shopping centres and shops play the stuff they get to hear it anyway. At least if you know what she is listening to on MP3 you can control it.
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:00 pm 
Post subject:
You make a good point about controling what your child is listening to... I comprimised and said my daughter can have a cd player with music I deem approiate. I get very frustrated about the music that is being exposed to kids these days... in shopping centers. My daughter hears music in the car... but I am able to change the channel. I heard a new song the other day that totally appaled me...(thank goodness kids were not present) it was about a girl kissing a girl with very discriptive lyrics!!! I will not let my daughter listen to the radio wout me due to possiable inapproiate lyrics. I think that kids need to be kids... they are growing up toooooo FAST!!!!!! When she is a teenager I will allow MP3.... and I will still make sure I know what she is listening to.
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:01 pm 
Post subject:
You make a good point about controling what your child is listening to... I comprimised and said my daughter can have a cd player with music I deem approiate. I get very frustrated about the music that is being exposed to kids these days... in shopping centers. My daughter hears music in the car... but I am able to change the channel. I heard a new song the other day that totally appaled me...(thank goodness kids were not present) it was about a girl kissing a girl with very discriptive lyrics!!! I will not let my daughter listen to the radio wout me due to possiable inapproiate lyrics. I think that kids need to be kids... they are growing up toooooo FAST!!!!!! When she is a teenager I will allow MP3.... and I will still make sure I know what she is listening to.
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:48 pm 
Post subject:
you have some really valid points there, you can actually control what goes on the mp3 as you have to put it on there so its not all bad.
i think if you deter her from the idea of it too much, she may just go behind your back anyway, unfortunatly this day inage the kids want to grow up too quickly which is awful but i would have a little trust in her and if she abuses that trust then take it off her till she is older.
sorry if that sounds harsh. x
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:11 am 
Post subject:
It dosen't sound harsh. My duaghter was ok with waiting for an MP3 till she is a teenager. It is my fiance that could not understand where I was coming from. My daughter is superivised at all times.... she is only 9. She is able to play in the back yard with friends and what not... but not allowed to go shopping alone. So there is really no way for her to get an MP3 without permission. I trust my child and we have a wonderful realonship she totally understands my viewpoint on the topic. Just because other parent's allow their children to do things at a younger age I will not, if I don't agree with it. Not to sound harsh. My child has tons of friends, toys and does many activites... so she is not sheltered and locked up, just think things can wait till a certain age.
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:23 am 
Post subject:
well thats your perogative (sorry about dodgy spelling!), your partner should understand and respect that as you only want whats best for your daughter. Only you know what is best for her so i would stick to your wishes on that one.
I wouldnt have let sian go to town with friends at 9 yrs old either , the world just isnt a safe place these days is it?
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:36 am 
Post subject:
Totally agree with you.. the world is certainly scary these days!!!! We are working through the disagreements... we don't argue... just butt heads about a few topics. Thanks for the input!
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:45 am 
Post subject:
no problem, im sure you will come to an agreement on this one, or agree to just disagree.
take care. x
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:53 am 
Post subject:
Its so hard isn't it nowadays? Me and hubby have talked about it for the coming years, and decided on the big things like no TV or PC in his room, no mobile phone etc until a certain age. But the smaller things like MP3 players and suchlike - what a nightmare!! I lean towards kids being kids and not having all this stuff - good lord when I was 9 they brought out rollerboots (as opposed to roller skates) and all I wanted was a pair of rollerboots... lol. times change so much don't they?
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:55 am 
Post subject:
they certainly do...it makes me feel really old sometimes. we all want to be able to move with the times but its difficult as we dont want to push our children into adulthood before they have even reached their teenage years!! there is so much more available to younger kids now and so much peir pressure to have all the up to date stuff. x
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:28 pm 
Post subject:
I am certainly with you... let kids be kids!!! I think alot of parents go with the majority because it is easier! Just because all the other kids have it dosen't mean that my child has to as well. I remember getting mad at my parents for the same reason!!!! Other kids were able to have tv's and all the cool stuff in their rooms wheras my sister and I were not! Makes total sence to me now! I do let my daughters have a tv in there room to watch cartoons... that are on DVD... no unmonitored tv however! It is shocking how many parents allow their children to have grown up stuff... WHY?? They people wonder why kids are in major trouble at 12 years old! Even schools seem to be following suite, at my daughters celebrate success party the dj was playing pop... Britney, pink... ect! I was outraged as was one other mother... the school did not share my views!!! What do you do??? Protect them at home!!!!
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:37 pm 
Post subject:
yeah right, they say its safe for kids to watch tv before 9pm that is such a joke...some of the stuff on before 9 is disgusting that even makes me cringe and is certainly not for young eyes.
they are showing stuff that really isnt for kids eyes.
like you say though alot of parents (and the schools) try to keep up with current trends just to make themselves look good yet they obviously dont have the best interest of the children at heart do they?
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:44 pm 
Post subject:
Ok just my 2p,

I'm pretty sure a 9 year old would not be going out bying CD's or downloading MP3's unsupervised. If a CD has a parental advice lable for expicit lyrics, avoid it sure, but not alowing your kids to have an MP3 player Shocked Shocked Shocked

I had a walkman when I was 8, my mum and dad bought me Kyle records and bros and even maddona, not letting your kids have an MP3 seems a bit OTT to me really, I mean you can vet what goes on it like my mum and dad did with what records i was alowed to listen to and buy with my pocket money, (I remember them turning the radio off when me and my bro were sat in the back of the car singing along to "relax" when I was about 7 and laughing betweeen them selves, I had no idea why until I was about 24 and it suddenly clicked.) But completely not alowing them a player Shocked are they not alowed a CD player in their room or a radio?? A 9 year old should be learning dance routines and singing along to their favouraite girl/boy band I dont see the difference between a CD player in a room and a MP3 player???

I'm sorry I just don't get your argument at all I'm affraid Rolling Eyes

And on the Watershed subject, did you know there are 2 watersheds? the 5.30pm for younger children, up to 11, and the 9pm for 11 to 15 year olds, I think they are very well regulated, and I don't see any problems with the programes that are on before 9pm at all, there's no swearing blood or sex, and if there is it is minimal or done in a way to try and educate, Hollyoaks for example has been running a very carefully done story line about drug addiction recently, and this is on after 6.30 so aimed at teenagers really.

think back to when you were a kid/teenager and the stuff you listened to and watched and then think about your veiws again, and then wonder if you have the reigns maybe just a tad too tight.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular