Im am so scared!

Kimbell1987
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:33 pm 
Post subject: Im am so scared!
This is my first pregnancy and i am very excited. The thing i am scared of is the birth i am petrified of needles and PAIN!!! Can anybody please tell me what to expect i know this isn't going to be pain free but i want to be prepared for the worst.

Also could you tell me when i should start feeling movement from my baby and what this feels like.

Many thanks

Kim xxxx Confused
BabyGill
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:58 am 
Post subject: Scared of the Unknown
Hi Kim

I'm sorry I can't offer you any advise as I am also to soon go through the torment of childbirth - albeit not for 10wks or so (with my first child). I just wanted to respond as you are not alone I am also very scared of the birth and have been scared of needles but had to have so many injections and blood tests during my pregnancy that I am a lot calmer around them now (I find it helps if you dont look).

In the case of an epidural its pretty difficult to look so my best advice if thats on the cards is to just relax and breath. I have been told by so many mothers that the key is to breath and listen to the midwife when she tells you!!! Just remember that when it is all over you will have a beautiful little baby to look after all of your own!!

If anyone out there can offer any advise though I would love to hear from you.

Thanks
Sarah x Razz
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:48 pm 
Post subject:
hehe similar situation to me!!

I'm due in 8 weeks, getting very scared of the pain now (I am soooo bad with pain of any kind). I had a chat with the anaesthatist on the hospital maternity tour this week, which definitely helped a bit to set my mind at rest. He also advised to check info from the Royal College of Anaesthetists, so I had a look and found this: http://www.rcoa.ac.uk/docs/childbirth.pdf

you've got lots of options, depending on what your hospital/care team offer. I'm considering going for a water birth if the pool is available (there's only 1 in my local hospital) as more and more now I find being immersed in water is incredibly comforting and takes away all the aches and pains.

You should get to have a couple of chats with your midwife about you birth plan - use these chats to find out what is available, and to start planning what you want to do - my advice is don't rule anything out just yet!!!
BabyGill
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:06 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for the advice and factsheet - definately worth the read and good to know about my options. Good luck with your little one

Sarah xxx
mcflurry
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:58 pm 
Post subject:
you worry about it now we all do but when it happens it happens and you just seem to do it (according to all my friends and people i know who have children) they all seem to say its as though your not there yeah your in pain but it feels like an out of body experience and when its over its over and theres a little bundle of joy in your arms i must admit i to am worrying a bit about it but i just think people have been doin this for years and i am going to be in hospital in the best hands so i am just tryin not to think of it to much and at the time im sure i will just be thinking get it outtttttt hehe and i bet the needles wont even bother you you'll just think yes pain relif just get high on the gas and air before your birthing partner does hehe xx
Unyomi
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:57 pm 
Post subject: labour
am also expecting my first baby and i ve been advised by mums that courage and patience should be the watch words. i think we shoul think more of the joy after the pains. this will definiately reduce our fear. fear? never.

Unyomi, Nigeria.
Charlplusbabies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:23 am 
Post subject:
my little boy is 5 and i can still remember that pain.
yes it is very painfull and yes it isscarey.
i am absolutely petrified of havin another so i keep puttin it off and puttin it off!!
but the best thing you can do is blow your contraction away. when it comes take a big breath in and blow it away.
your midwife will be there with you and she'll support you every step of the way.

you wont have a needle unless you opt for an injected pain relief. and when your in labour, you will not worry about that needle at all!!!

you'll be fine

good luck!!! xxx
moodles
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:35 pm 
Post subject: my labour
First of all congratulations!!

I had my first baby 4 months ago. I think the thing that helped me was just being positive before I had him. I thought to myself, I dont know what's going to happen and there's nothing I can do to change whats going happen so dont worry about it. Take it as it comes. My baby was born with the aid of the ventouse and I had to have stitches. That for me was the worst part of the birth. The contractions were more painful than i'd expected but I got through the whole labour on just gas and air and I am a REAL wimp!!!

I just kept thinking before the birth, it can't be that bad or nobody would ever have more than one baby. The minute you hold your baby for the first time you forget the pain. I would do it all again tomorrow.

As for feeling your baby move they say for your first anytime between 20 and 24 weeks but I felt mine around 17 weeks I think.

Hope this helps a little.
KaylaEmsley
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:46 pm 
Post subject:
hi,
my daughter is 11 weeks old! and now i think about the pain i went through (even though i had a epidural, i still got some pain but i got told if i had waited ten minutes later it would of bin to later to have it), its the best pain of my life and it wont seem it at the time because when i got home i couldnt even stand up off the sofa withiout help as your bodys so weak and in pain, but i would do it all over again the only thing i will say dont do is try and be a hero and do everything, the best thing to do is when you get time to yourself (an hour should be enough!) get a nice warm bath with lots of salt in it as it helps heal thing alot quicker,

Child birth is the worst pain and the best pain it nothing to fear at all
dont listen to any one else apart from yourself when it comes to pain relief if you want it then have it no-one will think any worse of you for it!

kayla x
queenmyers02
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:06 pm 
Post subject: Pain
I am sorry to be the one to give you the raw truth I am on my 4th and it doesn't get less painful. Labor hurts period. The only thing that can help is pain meds, please prepare yourself. I had all of mine natural and the pain is awful. All I can say to help you is please get pain meds.
Shara
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:50 am 
Post subject:
KaylaEmsley wrote:
hi,
my daughter is 11 weeks old! and now i think about the pain i went through (even though i had a epidural, i still got some pain but i got told if i had waited ten minutes later it would of bin to later to have it), its the best pain of my life and it wont seem it at the time because when i got home i couldnt even stand up off the sofa withiout help as your bodys so weak and in pain, but i would do it all over again the only thing i will say dont do is try and be a hero and do everything, the best thing to do is when you get time to yourself (an hour should be enough!) get a nice warm bath with lots of salt in it as it helps heal thing alot quicker,

Child birth is the worst pain and the best pain it nothing to fear at all
dont listen to any one else apart from yourself when it comes to pain relief if you want it then have it no-one will think any worse of you for it!

kayla x

That is the best advice, every birth is different, so why stress over things that may never happen?
cometomama
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:48 pm 
Post subject: Dont worry too much:)
KaylaEmsley you say to have a bath after birth with lots of salt to speed up healing, but wont the salt (if you mean normal salt) irritate the place as thats what usually salt does???
I got 4weeks to go and I can advice just no to worry too much as you don't know what's actually gona happen on the day of labour. I got my birth plan and aiming for as natural birth as possible but still keeping my mind open. Going to try concentrate on my breathing as much as I can:) Smile
KaylaEmsley
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:31 pm 
Post subject:
hiya, salt didnt irritate the wounds at all!!! ive had no complains so far when ive suggested it!! if you think about it salt has always been a great anticeptic for wounds! your doctor will tell u to to soak a deep cut in salt water before putting a plaster on it. anyway everything ive said is only adivce and has helped me i just passing it on, and i would prefer it if i wasnt underminded by people if i have a problem with what somebody has said i send them a personal message as it then will not cause promblems on the forum so if you have a problem please pm not make me feel two inches big in front of people

reguards kayla
cometomama
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:00 pm 
Post subject:
I'm sorry if you feel i was attacking you with my comment but thats not what I meant. I was just asking in general as I really wanted to know as wouldn't mind to try it when I needed. And I'm sure other girls will appreciate it as well. Thats the whole point of forums no?
Again I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings with my comment
Shara
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:10 am 
Post subject:
If I may add my little bit, the salt baths do NOT hurt, they are actually soothing. I know that now some docs suggets drying there throughly with a hair dryer, after bathing to help keep ifection away. (Of course don't have it too hot) ouch! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular