Does anyone know anything about sperm donatin?

sharonkelly
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:26 pm 
Post subject: Does anyone know anything about sperm donatin?
Hello all,

I've posted a few times before, during a period when my partner was having a vasectomy reversal. Unfotunately, it wasn't successful and since we got that news we've been looking into other options.

We went to a ferility clinic this week and have been told that there is no treatment available on the NHS and with their being no sperm present in my partner's semen we would need a procedure called ICSI, rather than standard IVF. This will cost 5000 per cycle with only a 35% chance of success.
Needless to say, this is such a lot of money, and money that we do not have, unless we were to take a loan, and in the current climate, I think this would be unwise. After all, if the procedure is successful you want to be able to provide for your child properly, rather than worry about debts. And if it isn't successful, where do you draw the line in terms of borrowing more?

Anyway, after considering the fact that the percentage rate is low, and the fact that the clinic will only implant 1 embryo (even though I am only 25, they say the risk of twins would be high and dangerous), we have decided to look at other options, and donor sperm has come up.

I was wondering if anyone has any information about the procedures and costs, and also success rates? My partner and I want a baby so very much and are willing to consider all options.

Hope to hear from some of you soon

Sharon x
lucyliu99
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:23 pm 
Post subject:
rainbownetwork.com go to the forums
there are lots of sperm donors on there
most do it for free just because they like to help ppl have kids
you can pay for them to have STI tests etc.. most have regular tests and show certificates etc..
the genuine ones dont ask for any money
we are hoping to conceive with a sperm donor as we cannot afford IVF and it success rates are low in comparison to the real mccoy. We are inseminating using plastic syringes and pots for the sperm.
If you want any advice let me know
Good luck
Linda
lurchy
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:33 am 
Post subject: Sperm Donors
Hi My wife and i went to the Bristol Centre for reproductive medicine which still has a limited supply of fully checked out donors, cost of treatment is about 800 for first go plus 90 per scan and about the same for a consultation, remaining goes are about 650 we had 5 goes, second go my wife got pregant but had an early miscarriage and after the 5 go we are up to 9 weeks and counting. so there is hope, some helath trusts will fund at leat one go but it is a post code lottery as ours wouldnt. good luck with your plans and we wish you every success
tracyx
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:43 pm 
Post subject: Donor Sperm
I am using the web - first4fertility : Only used it once so far and cost 450
I preferred this option to the rainbow site as it is totally anonymous
My issue is trying to work out when to 'order' the sample
I'm using ovulation test strips and for example I've done a test at 2pm and I'd say the line is 60% as dark as the test line - I'm, thereforeexpecting it will be the same as the control line later this evening or tomorrow morning
The delivery's are in an evening - so am I best having it delivered earlier i.e. This evening or waiting until tomorrow evening !!! - Nightmare !
ClairaBell
Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:25 pm 
Post subject:
Wow, I never realised any of this. For sperm donation I automatically assumed that you went to a private clinic and paid loads, but it seems there are cheaper options out there.
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:22 pm 
Post subject: Re: Does anyone know anything about sperm donatin?
Hi my wife and i could only go down the donor route as i too have 0sperm count, we went to the Bristol centre for reproductive medicine based at southmead hospital Bristol
cost there are about 800 for first go then around 650 every other go, plus 90 per consultation and or extra scans, with regard to success rate on the second go my wife who is 30 got pregnant but we had an early miscarriage on the fifth go we had success again and we are expecting our child in march/april 2009, so there is hope, the centres average they tell is about 8 goes but there are no guarantees, and donors are not in great number, the centre only allows them to sire 3 children before stopping there samples but i would highly recommend them to you.
good luck
marcus and lesley plus 1?
sharonkelly wrote:
Hello all,

I've posted a few times before, during a period when my partner was having a vasectomy reversal. Unfotunately, it wasn't successful and since we got that news we've been looking into other options.

We went to a ferility clinic this week and have been told that there is no treatment available on the NHS and with their being no sperm present in my partner's semen we would need a procedure called ICSI, rather than standard IVF. This will cost 5000 per cycle with only a 35% chance of success.
Needless to say, this is such a lot of money, and money that we do not have, unless we were to take a loan, and in the current climate, I think this would be unwise. After all, if the procedure is successful you want to be able to provide for your child properly, rather than worry about debts. And if it isn't successful, where do you draw the line in terms of borrowing more?

Anyway, after considering the fact that the percentage rate is low, and the fact that the clinic will only implant 1 embryo (even though I am only 25, they say the risk of twins would be high and dangerous), we have decided to look at other options, and donor sperm has come up.

I was wondering if anyone has any information about the procedures and costs, and also success rates? My partner and I want a baby so very much and are willing to consider all options.

Hope to hear from some of you soon

Sharon x
hopingforamiracle
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:36 am 
Post subject:
Sharon

Hope you don't mind me asking but how long ago did your OH have the reversal? and how long had he been steralized?

My OH had been through the same thing. Please feel free to PM me.

Lisa
xx
Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:16 pm 
Post subject:
i am using an anonymous donor for home insemination
gl all
xxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Fertility Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular