Separation Anxiety

Mummybeans
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:48 pm 
Post subject: Separation Anxiety
Hi

Just wondering if anyone can help this blubbering wreck!

I have a daughter who's just turned 3. She's been with a childminder since she was 6 months, and has always been a happy, confident little girl. Last week when I took her to her childminders, she starting clinging to my leg & crying that she didnt want to go. I thought this was a bit odd as she's always been so fiercly independant. She also had an episode after her Nan took her to playschool, where she burst into tears and started crying for Nanny.

Again, both yesterday and today when leaving the house for the childminders, there were tears & clinging. Its really upsetting me to see her so distressed, and I end up crying all the way to work. I've asked her why she doesnt want to go, and she says 'I dont like it'.

Is this normal? and will it get better?

Thanx for listening

Mel xx
RWneedssleep
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:29 pm 
Post subject:
Hey,

It is normal - my friend's little girl is five and she leaves her at school crying but she is fine as soon as she is out the door.

Sorry I cant offer any advice, my boy is 16months and for the first 6 months at nursery would go off fine and for the last 3 weeks has cried and chased me out the door every single time. I am really hoping it is just a phase and will get better.

I would just keep sending a reassuring message to her, giving her a cuddle and leaving. Try not tlo let her see you upset and if you can wait for a bit out of her sight you will probably hear her cries go very quickly.

Good luck x
dazedmum
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:02 pm 
Post subject:
All children have this at some stage, has she fallen out with a playmate there? Is she just bored of it and ready for something else?

I wouldnt worry too much if the rest of her behaviour patterns dont change, hope alls well soon x
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:51 pm 
Post subject:
Thanx guys for your support.

Its always good to know that someone else understands what you're going through. Its getting a bit easier to leave her now without getting upset myself. I do feel a bit wicked though cos I shove her through the door & leg it Twisted Evil . Its gotta be for the best in the long run. xx
shootingstars
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:43 pm 
Post subject:
I think all kids go through it, i work part-time in a school and the children at the age of 4 and 5 still have days when they want their mum, dad, nan or grandad, whichever as dropped them in, although once there sole carer as left after 5 mins or so they perk up and all is forgotten, i would speak to your childminder and see if there have been any issues her end, and the same with playschool, It could be something so simple as going to the toilet alone, i had this problem with one of the children at school,
Hope you find a solution soon,
Stars xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular