My daughter is nearly 2 and still doesnt talk

emkeljan
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:40 am 
Post subject: My daughter is nearly 2 and still doesnt talk
My daughter is nearly 2 and still doesnt talk. Im very conserned. There is abousltly nothing wrong with her hearing as she always turns round to when shes called or when she hears Barney. please let me know if theres anything I can do to help her. Ive also tried everything from reading her books, sitting down one to one and talking to her. Ive also bought her nursery cd's tyhat plays fram anomal songs but still notting. I'm really worried and feel lost. I dont know what to do. She starts pre-school soon and I feel she will be left out if she continues to not talk. I really need advice as I'll try anything.
twinkletoes
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:44 am 
Post subject:
When my nephew was 20months he was still not talking; my sister took him to the doctors and got a referral to a speech therapist and to have a hearing test. The hearing test was perfect. He is over 2 now and whilst is not really stringing a lot of words together he has really come along and we can clearly understand him. The speech therapist is very happy with his progress. Hope this helps.
carriedoneer
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:55 pm 
Post subject:
neither did einstein. dont worry. as long as she makes herself understood youll be fine. if she makes no noises by three id get a diagnosis. but almost all kids do NOT have speech problems and parents are worrying needlessly. i think speech therapy for kids is insane. a modern development.
sammi86
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:13 pm 
Post subject:
my son didnt start talkin till he was just over 2, he wud say things like mummy, daddy and bye but thats bout it, i didnt really worry about him, i always think that kids learn at their own pace, and even tho it took him a while to start tlkin he picked up really quick and now hes nearly 4 and doesnt stop!! as for pre-school, wen my son went he cud talk but the pre-school thought he cudnt coz he wudnt say a word wen he was there, so try not to worry, she may even start to talk wen she has the influences of others her age as she will want to interact with them and she will learn from them.
millwallrose44
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:30 pm 
Post subject:
Hi there. My son is exactly the same. He is 22 months now, and does not say much. He says mammy daddy grampa and a few other little things, but for new words he just kind of says 'da'. I have spoken to the health visitor at length, and she has just suggested reading to him, talking to him all of which I already do. He totally understands everything that is said but just has no desire to talk properly yet. After researching and talking to others, I have realised he will just do it at his own pace (although sometimes I still worry). All I can suggest is carry on doing what you already do and when the time is right she will talk. Please try not to worry too much - I am sure you are doing everything right.

OOOO0
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:38 pm 
Post subject:
I agree Millwallrose. All children start to talk a different times.. I think pre-school helps with their speech and soon comes on being round other children who are communicating all the time. I work at one and this happens often. Rather than being left out other children communicate in other ways. So dont worry. Pupx
hazelandskye
Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:56 am 
Post subject:
my girl skye is two years ten months she hardly talks can say some words though and she knows what i ask her and she does what she is tould i would not worry as most kids that attend dont talk much at her pre school got tould she plays with every one and they look after her she comes home sleepy but when she wakes she points and trys new words she will soon catch up so never fear every child is dif they will get there in there own time if nothing by three years i would take them to doc see if they can find out if any thing is wrong so i would just wait not every child is the same if they were it would be a very boring world so just wait might give you a shock when they do start chatting away

andrea28
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:12 pm 
Post subject:
i would worry to much at this piont as all children talk in there own time. but when they start u cant shut them up....lol look at it for her view she dont need to talk you can do it for her.... all she has to do is look and us mothers know what they want... when she goes to school it will start because they dont know she or what she will want by a look or pointin

Good luck but if ur worried speck to ur health vistor
manxy
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:55 pm 
Post subject: speech problems with my 22 month old daughter
Hi im very worried about my 22 month old daughter she is still not talking aswell as other children around her age, has anyone else had this problem i would love some helpful advice xx
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:19 pm 
Post subject:
hi,

is he not saying anything at all. my daughters nearly 20 months and can say mam, dad, baby, dog, nana but not much else and doesent say them a lot you have to encourage her.

but im not worried they speak wen there ready.

DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:59 pm 
Post subject:
you can always ask your health visitor for a referral to your local speech therapist if you're really worried. Some really basic tips though from Isaac's nice speech therapist...

- don't have constant background noise (radio, TV etc)
- when you talk to your child, make sure he can see your mouth clearly - this includes checking you aren't in shadow to him
- make sure you have his attention before talking with him
- engage him in conversations when you are talking with others - so if you are chatting with a friend and he makes a sound, stop, turn to him and give him praise, or allow him to join in the conversation. Apparently sometimes children can struggle with the concept of who's 'turn' it is to talk, especially in noisy households, or if you spend a lot of time on the phone, so anything you can do to help them understand about turns can help them build confidence to talk.
- making different sounds with your mouth is good, so nursery rhymes where there are animal sounds, speaking in a different language if you can etc
- using songs to encourage speech - shy or reluctant kids will sometimes sing nursery rhymes before speaking apparently Very Happy

to be honest though, 2 wouldn't worry me for non-talking Very Happy I'm sure she'll come on soon enough, when she's ready. Hope that helps.

also - this book is brilliant. It was recommended by a friend of mine, and we use it a lot Very Happy
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Small-Talk-Richard-C-Woolfson/dp/0600602885/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214765981&sr=1-4
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:52 pm 
Post subject:
i know a few children who didn't talk till late, it just seemed that they were taking everything in and when they did end up talking it all came out in sentences
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:19 am 
Post subject:
Asking questions and giving choices encourages speech too eg: Would you like juice or milk with lunch, Would you like to play on the swing or slide first, insted of asking dead end questions like, 'would you like a drink of juice' - they only have to nod and not give a verbal answer.
Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:49 pm 
Post subject:
I have to agree with amypicot
My sister was a late talker. She observed everythign first, practised herself and then when it was perfect she would make herself known. So dont worry. dont put yourself nor the child under pressure. At teh end tehy all learn. Beside, does the child watch telly? Sometimes that stops them from talking, too.
RobertKurtzSLP
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:47 pm 
Post subject:
It's true that MOST children begin to speak just fine without speech therapy, and that there is a range of what is considered "normal." But there are a small percentage of children who begin talking late AND have trouble acquiring early speech and language skills.

If you are worried about your child's speech, the best thing to do is consult a qualified speech-language pathologist (also called a speech therapist). He or she will be able to evaluate your child systematically and tell you whether therapy is needed or not.

If it turns out to be nothing to worry about, you've lost a couple of hours and maybe some money (although in the U.S. and many other countries, early intervention services are free), but you've gained peace of mind. If your child does need therapy, the younger you start the better.

There are a number of web sites that provide information on what speech and language behaviors to expect at various ages. One of them is

http://www.speechdelay.com.

I like this site because it also has a discussion forum for parents with concerns about their children's speech and language development. Some of the senior members have a lot of experience with speech development and services available and can give you excellent advice based on their own experiences.

Before I sign off, I'd love to hear from emkeljan, who started this thread back in October of 2007. How is your daughter doing 10 months later?

Best regards,
Robert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular