exspessing milk during pregnancy

wingo83
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:03 pm 
Post subject: exspessing milk during pregnancy
hi im 24 weeks pregnant i have been leaking milk 4 a little while now i know it sounds a stupid question but does anyone know if it is o and if it is safe 4 me to start exprssing milk now so im ready 4 my baby
zandersmum
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:22 am 
Post subject:
hi i wouldnt express milk as sometimes the nipple stimulation could bring baby on and baby is just 2 small to be born if you still want to you may be able to start doing this at around 36-37 weeks as the milk last about 2mths if you freeze although i would consult your midwife or ob b4 you do so hope this helps
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:16 am 
Post subject:
i got told by my miswife that i could start expessing milk (not fot the baby as it isn't actually milk that your leaking but colostrum) but to practice and when i had my daughter and told the midwife that was on the ward this she said there was no way that i should have used my breast pump before i had the baby and she was shocked that the midwife told me that.

the milk that you express now would be no good by the time the baby came along, i am pretty sure of that because even if you freeze it, you are not actually leaking the milk yet, just the colostrum which i think they are only suppose to have for the first few days, to a week or something
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:05 pm 
Post subject: xx
yeah it int proper milk until baby is born is it?? iv only leaked this stuff once but never mind im not needing my ilk any way lol x
MrsMummy
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:34 pm 
Post subject:
i think your milk comes in about 1 week after the baby is born, i am not 100% as i have not ben able to breatfeed, i did it for both for a couple of days and then had to stop
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:56 pm 
Post subject:
What the ladies have said is right. There is no need to express at the moment as you are only leaking colostrum which is only produced for a couple of days after the baby is born. Your milk comes in about 2-4 days after the birth so you can start expressing then. As zandersmum said, this kind of nipple stimulation could bring on premature labour so is not a god idea.

wingo83
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:08 pm 
Post subject: reply to u
zandersmum wrote:
hi i wouldnt express milk as sometimes the nipple stimulation could bring baby on and baby is just 2 small to be born if you still want to you may be able to start doing this at around 36-37 weeks as the milk last about 2mths if you freeze although i would consult your midwife or ob b4 you do so hope this helps

i wanna thank u so much for yr helpful answer to my question as i most certainly do not wanna bring on labour at this early stage again thank u Very Happy
zandersmum
Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:03 am 
Post subject:
thats ok glad i was able 2 help if u ever need any more advice please dnt hesitate to ask as we all here on askbaby are all willing to help if we can good luck

Jump to:  

Community

Popular