The process

Minxymoo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:07 am 
Post subject: The process
Hi Ladies, I know this may sound silly but can someone please explain what actually happens before egg collection with the drugs etc.
Everywhere I look there is information about how eggs are collected and what happens next with them being put back in but I want to know what the drug bit it at the beginning.

My counsellor has said you get a nasal spray but this can have emotions side effects and I'd be best to have it in an injection form as well as the other injections but I've no idea what these are, do, or timings of them.

Thanks xx
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:06 am 
Post subject:
Hey Hun

do you want to know the whole ivf cycle or just the egg collection part ???

x x x

Xavier lifes pure joy
Minxymoo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:08 am 
Post subject:
I'd be really grateful for info on the drug bit before egg collection please. Many congrats on ur sucess xx

Did you have to do the injections yourself? DH and I aren't great with needles although I feel I could overcome it for the chance of a baby , lol.

Cheers
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:20 am 
Post subject:
Hi Hun

so if i tell from the start

i started down reg drugs(suprecur) on day 21, 1 injection in my leg every night for 14 days ..had a huge bleed on day 8-12 (thats what is expected) but the bleed is very heavy.....then after my scan on day 14 i started stimms(menopur) so i was taking my suprecur and menopur 1 in each leg every evening for 10 days then on day 11 i did my trigger shot(pregnyl) in my leg then that was it till egg collection ...the night before egg collection i took a sedative tablet and then the morning off egg collection once at the clinic took 2 more sedative tablets (they work quickly) and a pain killer suppository....then about 20 mins later they came and took me and OH to procedure room and egg collection was done there i was not in much pain at all (ive had worse period pains) then afterthat go home sleep off the drugs 2 days later go back had 2 embryos transfered and stared utrogestan pessaries one inna morning and one at night.....

some ladies have a spray inplace of suprecur and that takes a little longfrom what i can tell so it may be a down reg of 21-28 days with the spray ...but e stimm part is much the same for most the strength of drugs you need on the stims will be dependant on your blood results

iif you have any other info you wold like please just ask

best wishes

x x x

Xavier lifes pure joy
Minxymoo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:54 pm 
Post subject:
It's alot to take in. So they stop your normal cycle and make you have an AF then give you stuff to make you produce more eggs than normal - is that right? Sorry I'm being a bit thick at the moment. xx
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:13 pm 
Post subject:
Hi

thats exactly what they do they suspend your normal cycle and the af is heavier so as to clear everything out so they can control you cycle and yes the stimm help you produce more eggs than normal .....

its not think if you've never done it its very hard to understand

its sounds like so much but i found it all very easy ...all you have to do is exactly what they tell you .....

x x x

Xavier lifes pure joy
Minxymoo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:25 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks you've been a big help. I'm suffering from depression at the moment and find it difficult to hold any information in my head lately.

I'm not really all that worried about doing IVF its just when people bother to ask they ask me a million questions and I feel silly for not knowing the answer already!

Thanks again xx
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:46 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Minxymoo,

I found it all rather daunting at first but my clinic just explained each stage in detail as i reached it rather than give me all the information at the start, that way you don't get information overload they also had sheets with it all written down so when you get home you can check anything Very Happy I just broke it down into stages so i felt i could get through each one,

Stage 1 stopping your normal cycle with nasal spray or injections
Stage 2 stimulating your ovaries to produce lots of eggs usually by daily injection
Stage 3 A final injection to ripen your eggs
Stage 4 Egg collection
Stage 5 Eggs are fertilised and a few days later placed back
Stage 6 Pregnancy testing after 2 weeks

Good luck hun, xxx
October 2010 2nd ICSI, short protocol BFN
trying to raise funds for round 3, hoping to cycle august 2011
leanneb84
Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:13 am 
Post subject:
hello - I'm so glad to read this conversation, as I am really confused about the stages of IVF aswell!!!

I have had two attempts at IUI treatment, both failed. My consultant has said that I should take a month break and then start IVF in my next cycle. But the nurse told me that I don't start taking the drugs till day 21 of the cycle, and I found this odd as that will be after my ovulation??!! But after reading this, I understand that that cycle is just to stop normal cycle pattern, and it is the next cycle that they start the actual IVF??? Is that right?

That means that really I am waiting 2 cycles until my treament then Sad I'v already been waiting 6 1/2 years!!! The wait is killing me now!

Thank you for breaking it all down and explaining it, that really helps alot! Did you fall pregnant on your first go at IVF?

Did you have alot of emotional side effects?

I got really emotional and depressed and basically crazy when I went through IUI, and that is nothing compared to IVF! So good luck to DH for what he will have to put up with! lol

x
sharon34
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:26 am 
Post subject:
Hi Hun,

its not quite 2 cycles but it passes so quickly .....i was very lucky and had an easy down reg of 14 days .....

emotion side its easy i guess to get all worked up about it but i found the best thing was to not think about it too much and just do as the clinic tell you .......i redecorated my house whilst doing mine to give me something else to do .......

mine worked 1st time and we have 6 frozen embryos as well .....

where are you having your treatment ??

good luck

x x x

Xavier lifes pure joy
leanneb84
Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:43 am 
Post subject:
Hello,

That's brilliant news that it worked for you 1st time!! Congrats!

In regards to the frozen embryos, how does that all work? I get that they freeze them for future use. But how much does it cost and what is the likelihood of them working when you use them in the future? etc??

Yes, I am re-decorating my house at the minute aswell, I found that it really helped me when I was going through the IUI, I tried to forget all about the treatment and just think about the house!

I am having the treament at Leicester Royal Infirmary, My appointment with consultant is on 17th August, and my AF is due on 20th Aug, so I am guessing that it will be 21days after the 20th that it will all start!

I am a mixture of really really excited and quite confused at the min, but at the same time trying not to think about it or to get excited!!! arrghhh
sharon34
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:00 am 
Post subject:
Hi

the frozen embryos must be grade 1 to freeze and at care they froze 4 at 1 cell(easier to thaw) and then the other 2 at 4 cell stage if your 1st go didnt work and you have frozen then you can have them thawed and transfered 2 at a time at care its a third of the cost to have frozen embryo transfer but cost us 340 to freeze in the 1st place i think from reading the data you have a slight less chance of them taking but its so much cheaper ...

we were so lucky we got 13 eggs 10 fertilised correctly and 2 of those 10 were looking like identical twins so they disgarded them as we had other ones to use ...had 2 transfered and the 6 frozen ......

i found the whole thing so easy and stress free some women are not as lucky as i was and got very stressed by it .....

but if you find something else to do then that helps

x x x

Xavier lifes pure joy
Minxymoo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:55 am 
Post subject:
Hi Ladies,

Big hugs to all those in need today! I've had problems with my emotions on Clomid these last two cycles so I have already warned DH that it could get worse!

I think the DIY stores must be doing really well out of us at the moment. We've re-done most on our garden (inc hippy veg patch, lol) the kitchenand dining room. We are however struggling to do the nursery. I just want to make it plain and then add things when we look like we can have kids. With every failure we get less enthusastic about decorating this room but have been making good headway these last few weeks as our IVF appt comes closer. It's 17 Sep because they still think we can fall naturally - er yeah right - but you have to go with their recommendations.
Ieanne - Sorry you've had to wait so long but hopefully that BFP is very close now.
Sharon - I'd have insisted they put the twin ones in I'd love twins but understand its not everyones cup of tea lol I guess I like a challenge! xxxxxxx
Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:06 pm 
Post subject:
Hey Hun,

You cant insist they put twins back as the guidlines prevent them from doing that if you have 'other options' they are trying to reduce twin births as it can be a tough time for you and babies .........if thats all you have then they would do it but we had no choice .....they phoned us on the morning and said you have 3 @ 4 cells 1@ 5 cells and 2 @ 8 cells indicating twins !!!! we have to disgard those that was it we were not given a choice thats the way it goes .....with the nhs i think they only put 1 back not so sure but im sure they only do 1 at a time .....

i know how you feel about the nursery thing .......ive cleared out the guest room and painted half so far but just doing it cream and will add bits later ....cant wait till my 12 week scan then i can chill a bit.......the problem on here is you can read so many stories about things going wrong you just think its got to happen to you !!!!!

x x x

Xavier lifes pure joy
Minxymoo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:34 am 
Post subject:
Fingers crossed for you and baby xx

I was saying to DH last night that I don't think you ever stop worrying once you start trying for a baby your concerns go from what if I have problems, right to the other end of worrying over everything your child does in their lives. It's no wonder we all go grey!

Flipping NHS keep dashing my dreams. I'd be happy with any baby right now but I just like the idea of twins, guess that won't happen now.

Do you have a name for your bump yet? I've had friends who've named theirs instead of calling it -it Very Happy
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular