screwed up sleep patterns

dawlphie
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:51 pm 
Post subject: screwed up sleep patterns
My 4 week old son doesn't seem to have any type of sleep pattern. He's been going through a really long growth spurt (he's gained 3 pounds and grown 4 inches in 3 weeks!) Sometimes this is at night, sometimes during the day. In between feedings range between 1/2 hour and 3 hours. The longest he's ever gone between feedings is 3 1/2 hours. How can I help get him to get on a more regular schedule? It's frustrating getting sleep one night then being up for the next 24-30 hours with a fussy baby who all of a sudden just wants to eat! One complication is I live in the arctic... the sun doesn't go down until 2am or so, then is back up within a couple hours. We do try to keep the bedrooms dark at night (blackout curtains and such), but the living room, where we spend most of our time, does not have these. Don't know if that makes a difference.
Huntermac
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:31 am 
Post subject:
My son was a good 12wks before he had any kind of sleep pattern. Try and keep to a routine like Feed, Play (on floor or just with you talking to them) then Bed and same again. 3 1/2 hour feeds isnt to bad at this stage!! That will continue for a while yet. Some are every 3 hours until they are around 3 odd months. What time do you put down at night for the so called 'long' sleep?
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:12 pm 
Post subject:
at 4 weeks he sounds pretty normal really. The only tip I'd give is to track his feed sizes (or length of time if you're breastfeeding) and try to cut out any feeds that you expect to just be snacks. One way to distract from hunger is to take baby out for a walk - this can also sometimes encourage a nap.
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:46 am 
Post subject:
"long" sleeps, when he has them, can be during the day (often around 12-3pm) or at night between 12am and 3am, or 3am to 6am, give or take. Average time for a feed is 15-20 minutes, and 2 hours apart. But that is on average.
Good to know it's fairly normal though
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:57 am 
Post subject:
sounds ideal really hun Very Happy

you'll probably find he naturally starts extending an evening or night sleep. You can encourage it by introducing a bedtime routine of quiet play-bath-feed-song/story-cot once a day, at whatever time you feel best with. We did it for the 6pm 'nap' which then slowly grew into an all night sleep. somehow when Isaac was sleeping 4 hours, 6pm-10pm seemed like a wonderful treat, but 1am-5am seemed less important!!

Jump to:  

Community

Popular