contraception...........

ch4rli3
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:52 pm 
Post subject: contraception...........
This seems bit strange posting a topic about contraception on a Baby forum..... But anyway...

I have an 8 month old boy and am not looking to have any more children for the time being.... maybe when he is about 4, ill think about having another 1... but no more 4 now!!!

I am unable to take the pill due to yrs of trouble with it. I first started taking it wen i was 15 and had severe migranes and shooting pains in my legs, I was told to stop taking immediately.

Since then Doctors recommended i tried different brands of the normal pill (where u have a 7day break) and also different brands of the mini pill. Every single brand and type iv tried resulted in me having headaches and feeling ill, therefore I am unable to take it.

I was even prescribed it again after having my son to see if Anything different would happen, but No, still had same side effects and i started 2 bleed every 2 days and had constant period pains.

Doctors hav then said that I could not have the injection, as if i were to have any side effects, there is nothing they can do stop them, and id have to wait 4 the injection to ware off which usually takes 3 months.

My only option left is a coil.... the thought of it makes me feel ewwwww! and iv heard so many horror stories about it dislodging or rupturing the womb and having to have surgery to have it removed!! Has anyone had or got one?!
Also, I no there are 2 different types. Id have 2 have the 1 that doesnt stop ur periods all together, but mayb make them slightly heavier

There is a slight chance I could hav an implant, which aparently goes into the arm and releases a hormone into the body. Although I have been told that it wont cause the horrible headaches and dizzyness etc but I could have alot of blood spotting and irregular periods until they settle then eventually not have a period at all.

I hate using condoms as they make me really sore and as i seem to be prone 2 getting thrush since having my son, i really do try to avoid anything else thats gonna make me sore down there!!!

Has anyone else had any problems with the pill? anyone got a coil or an implant????
Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:10 pm 
Post subject:
hi ive got the implant in and its great x
Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:34 pm 
Post subject:
hope u dont mind me askin but have u had irregular bleeding with it? and can u feel it under the skin? x
Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:12 pm 
Post subject:
HI THIS IS THE SECOND TIME IVE HAD IT IN NOW THE FIRST TIME I DID BLEED ALOT BUT SOMTIMES WENT MONTHS WITHOUT ONE GREAT LOL MY BABY IS ONLY 6 WEEKS HAD IT IN 3 WEEKS AND STILL NOT HAD A BLED YET YOU CAN FEEL IT UNDER YA SKIN BUT ITS NOTHING I FORGET ITS THERE XX
Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:20 pm 
Post subject:
ive had the coil and didnt have any problem with it at all. it was put in and forgotten about until i started ttc. my periods were slightly heavier and a bit longer (around 5 days) but apart from that not a problem! Smile xxx
Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:32 pm 
Post subject:
Hia,

I'm sure the coil works very well for most woman, but just a quick warning. My cousin was using the coil with hormones and she now has breast cancer very seriously at the age of 36. It sounds like a horror story, but if you have any history of breast cancer in your family, it can appariently speed up the process, as if the cancer is feeding off it. This is what she was informed by the doctor and then her sister promptly had hers removed after taking medical advice. You would obviously have to be pre-disposed to breast cancer, rather that the coil with hormones causing it. I hope I haven't scared you, but I think it's worth knowing.

I hope you manage to find the right contraception for you.

Bec x
ch4rli3
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:13 am 
Post subject:
Hi.... Im so sorry to hear that! Although i dont have any family history of breast cancer, its still quite worrying to hear!
Thank u for telling me your story, Definately worth knowing!!

xxx
Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:07 am 
Post subject:
I had the coil and it was great. Periods were lighter and less painful (main reason my doctor wanted me to get one in the first place), and I was able to forget about it until ttc.

ch4rli3
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:18 pm 
Post subject:
How does the coil get put in u?! lol, sorry that sounds funny!
what i mean is, does a doctor put it in at the doctor surgery or do u have 2 go somewhere else??
Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:03 pm 
Post subject:
At my surgery they have a doc or nurse (can't remember which) who is specially trained. You read all the info, have a discussion with the relevant person, then book the appt to have it fitted. They would then need to remove it if you wanted to try for a baby or weren't getting on with it for whatever reason. At least this is what happens where I live. It could vary between areas. Hope this helps. Bec x
rachel85
Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:53 pm 
Post subject: about the implant
hi girls my baby died in march had the implant removed in june as it caused me loads of problems got rushed to hospital very high blood pressure only turns out i was 4 weeks pregnant got it removed now and looking forward to the birth of my baby i am seven weeks pregges and cant wait
Jolene8880
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:49 am 
Post subject:
I had problems with the pill and injection when I was younger, so me and my then fiance, with the help of the family planning clinic decided to try the calendar method, I didn't like the thought of a coil when I was 21 and hated condoms for the same reason as you.
We used the method successfully for 5 years, by successfully I mean I never fell pregnant! It might be worth thinking about, there are obvious risks with it, but as long as your obsessive about your dates it can be a really good form of contraception Smile

fairytale
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:48 pm 
Post subject:
hi i had the coil once after my 3rd child and again on advice from gp about heavy periods - have had no problems with it little extra bleeding while it settled down but then brilliant!

there are horror stories with everything and i think it will be good to have a proper talk with gp of family planning nurse make sure armed with ur questions.

good luck
xx
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:57 pm 
Post subject:
hi, i had the coil without hormones for five years, and periods were really long and heavy the whole time, and hadn't been before! prior to that i had the implant in my arm, which was fine though i put some weight on, and before that was on the pill with no probs. one thing i would say is when i had my coil removed it took a doctor and a nurse cos the nurse couldn't get it out initially and needed assistance, doctor said it was being difficult...then afterwards i was really sore for a few days, and my first period was really painful. hope you find the right one for you xx
ch4rli3
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:00 am 
Post subject:
Jolene.. what is the calender method?? Embarassed Confused

x
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular