Just found out I am pregnant and must travel by plane! help

SugarPlumMamma
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:21 pm 
Post subject: Just found out I am pregnant and must travel by plane! help
Hello everyone,
this is the first time I am posting in this forum.
First I must say that I have always been told that I would never have children, and as soon as I stopped my pills I got pregnant! How ironic!
So excitement is all over the place and I am feeling so pregnant, sometimes I even dream I have an enourmous belly! LOL
Anyway, the problem is, before I got pregnant, or actually that I knew I was pregnant, I had a business travel planned for this month.
I am only 4 weeks pregnant and am really afraid of what the plane traveling can cause to my baby.
Is there any risk?
Thanks for answering as fast as you can.
Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:27 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,

I am no expert as this is my first pregnancy, but from what I have read, the main risk is in the third trimester. In the firt trimester is mainly the usual risks of flying dehydration etc that you have to watch for as they may obviously have worse effects. Places I have read have also said that people say don't in the first trimester because you are at more risk of miscarriage then and you don't want to be abroad etc if the worst should happen. So I don't think there is a direct risk.

Hope this helps, it is only what I have read on websites etc. If you are worried, ask your doctor or midwife, or ring NHS direct or something. It s probably best to check with an expert.

Hope all goes well. and congrats on the pregnancy!

Love LD
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:52 am 
Post subject:
Hi there and welcome Very Happy

as Lucky says, do check with your doctor - I had a similarish situation, although my flight was in 2nd trimester. In all honesty, my doc advised there was no madical issue with flying - even right up until about 7.5 months pregnant - BUT I found the experience horrible. I have never felt so sick in my life. I think it's probably just the vibrations of the flight (for some reason I've been very sensitive to vibrations throughout my pregnancy so far). I hope your flight isn't too long, just in case you get the same thing! Mine was only an hour, but I ended up cancelling the return and getting a train home the next day as I just couldn't face getting on a plane again!

Some tips though:
- drink LOTS of water before and during the flight
- move about (especially if your flight is over an hour)
- keep motion in your feet and hands especially
- take some sickness reduction foods with you - mints, ginger root - whatever works for you
- I found chewing gum really helped
- make sure you are well rested before you fly. Mine was an early morning flight, I hadn't had a great night's sleep, and I'm sure the tiredness didn't help.

I really hope you find it OK (I know other women who have been absolutely fine) but its definitely worth taking some basic precautions before u go. People will probably think you're insane as you presumably haven't told people yet that you're pregnant, but definitely look after number 1!!!

Good luck

Anna
gingertaylor
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:41 pm 
Post subject: grabbing some sun on holiday
Hi there, this is a great forum for finding out stuff. This is my first pregnancy and i'm only 5 1/2 weeks pregnant but I was wondering if any mums who did go on holiday when they were pregnant could help. I found out i was pregnant last week when i WAS on holiday - had an ok flight back- just drank lots of water as youve already said, but I did catch some rays abroad and have been told that the sun reduces your folic acid consumption. Ive been taking suppliments since before i was pregnant but do you think i should worry! As i am! I was in a swim suit most of the time so my tummy was not really exposed but does that make any differnec?........
tbell
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:32 pm 
Post subject: You'll be fine
Hi,

First of all congrats on your news. I am also taking a guess that you are in England as most of the mebers here are. (im in USA).

You will be fine to travel i am 12 weeks pregnant and im am currently living in the usa with my bfriend although i am originally from England and want to see my family for xmas. By then i will be 16 weeks. I asked my midwife if this was safe to do so, for me and my baby, she said it would be fine just wear flight socks and keep well hydrated and make sure you have a snack like biscuits, a sandwich or just a little somthing to nibble on. Also keep moving as much as possable.

"BE AWARE IF IT IS AN ITERNATIONAL FLIGHT YOU HAVE TO BUY THE FOOD AFTER YOU CHECK-IN"

Hopefully your not flying to far. Mine is going to be hard its about 11 hours from here.

Good luck
Cecil
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:00 pm 
Post subject: 12hours flight in 5th month
Ooops, I haven't thought about that until now. I found out I'm pregnant today! (I'll do the test again tomorrow to confirm). I have two long flights soon, one in December (for Xmas) when I'll be only 7 weeks pregnant on the way out, and around 10 on the return. The total journey (each way) are three flights within 24h!
I'm scared now!
The second long flight is for Easter, only one direct flight but of 12 hours!.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Just found this info on the internet: "Background cosmic radiation levels are also higher at altitude, which can be harmful to the foetus. Expectant mothers are, therefore, recommended to avoid flying during the first three months of pregnancy if possible."

???
http://www.flighthealth.org/what-is-cosmic-radiation.htm
Cecil
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:17 pm 
Post subject: Travelling while Pregnant - Insider tips on having a safe an
"Travelling while Pregnant - Insider tips on having a safe and comfortable flight

It is safe to fly while pregnant. The NHS advises that women who are having uncomplicated pregnancies can travel, but there is a heightened risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and you should check with your doctor before going.
It is best not to fly before 12 weeks or after 28 weeks. After that, when the risk of going into labour increases, the airline will require a letter from your GP stating that you are fit to travel and confirming your estimated due date. Each airline has its own set of rules, so it's important you tell the booking agent that you are pregnant and check that you may still fly. If you are booking online, check the airline's website."
Cecil
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:24 pm 
Post subject: Second opinon
There are other websites that states there is not a problem on flying during any stage of pregnancy...
http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/faqs/pregnancyandflying.html
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:36 pm 
Post subject:
the problems early on are mostly to do with the dreadful air quality adn additional pollutants in planes - and the risk is pretty small. However, if you feel even slightly faint or dizzy, ask a stewardess for oxygen. A couple of whiffs of oxygen should sort you out.

I think its different for everyone and will depends a lot on your own health at the time of the flight. The risks are not really increased, its just that the consequences if something does go wrong are so much more horrible.
jhalo
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:44 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,

I think it is really risky to travel in the first 12 weeks, Any sort of risk should be avoided. It is better to be safe than sorry rather than regret afterwards. There is threat of miscarriage from the radiation of X-Ray machine..especially if you have been ttc for ages.

Personally i have been through miscarriage at 6 weeks..and have been ttc for ages since then. I would not take the risk.....I think the thought of a healthy pregnancy far outweighs the travel or holiday plans, which can be deferred and resumed after 3 months of pregnancy if urgent.
jhalo
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:46 pm 
Post subject:
P.S Follow your instincts.... Take Care Smile
tigrrboxer
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:19 pm 
Post subject:
Just flown to see the excited grandparents to be - at 17 weeks - the flight was pretty nauseating but the fun part was flapping my doctor's pregnancy note around whenever I neared an X-ray. In fact, on the way back, a man sidled up to me and asked me who I "really" was - maybe he thought I was some international undercover woman of mystery or an android or something - I passed all security checks with just a cursory patting up-and-down of my arms and legs, not even a hand-held wand!
Cecil
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:48 pm 
Post subject: No X-ray in metal detectors at airports
I just flown home, three conecting flights in one go. Nearly 24h travelling in total (including waiting at airports). It was tiring, as usual. But I didnīt feel bad at all. Iīm nearly 8 weeks pregnants.
I donīt understand why would you have a note from your doctor about x-rays, as you usually donīt get through them during security checks at airports, those are only for luggage screening. This is what I understand, please explain, as I still have to return to the UK and have a few more trips in January, which I would like to cancel but Iīm not sure if it is a good idea as those are business related...

Please find this note I just found on the internet about x-rays at airports, Regards.
C
"In airports, passengers walk through metal detectors, which use a low-frequency electromagnetic field to look for metal objects. Anything that generates or uses electricity, such as power lines and household appliances, produces electromagnetic fields. At the low levels of a metal detector, this exposure is considered safe for everyone, including pregnant women. (The same holds true for the wands that are sometimes passed over individual passengers.)

Many people mistakenly think these screening machines take X-rays -- they don't. Airport X-ray machines, which emit the same kind of radiation you'd get from a dental X-ray, are used only on luggage."
Cecil
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:56 pm 
Post subject: Screening at airports
I just found this article about security screening at airports. Hope is useful.
http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/travel/holiday_type/family/article2856130.ece
pinkpanther
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:38 pm 
Post subject: I travelled @ 13wks
Hi there

Congratulations, thats fantastic news, bet your really chuffed!!!

I found out i was pregnant at 5weeks and had a holiday to Goa booked which i had to cancel as it was too far to travel so early in my pregnancy, however, i was allowed to travel short distances so me and my boyfriend went to Fuertevenura instead, we only went for 1wk and im 20wk pregnant now and baby was fine (i flew @ 13wks) You must wear flight socks though (as sexy as they look!!) and keep mobile and you'll be fine.
Just ask your midwife, im sure they will tell you its fine to fly as long as its not too far

Good Luck with the pregnancy!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular