Baby’s Citizenship

Dev
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:24 am 
Post subject: Baby’s Citizenship
I am pregnant with my first child, and I have a question to anyone who may know anything about immigration rules.

Though my husband is British, I am not from the EU. I am currently on a spousal visa, and around the time the baby is due, I will be getting my Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Does anyone know if I need to register the new baby with the Home Office, or will the new arrival automatically be a British Citizen?

Thanks for your help.
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:43 am 
Post subject:
hmmm not sure of the law on this one - I'd suggest you pop down to your local citizen's advice bureau for some help.

My guess would be that since your child will be born in the UK to a British father, he/she will at least have the option of dual citizenship and a British passport - but not sure. Definitely worth checking so you know how to go about registering the birth etc.
Maliena
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:07 pm 
Post subject: definite
Since your having your baby in Britain to a British Dad, it will definitely get British citizenship. You will have to register your baby once it's born. I would also think whether it's born overseas you baby can still get a British passport through the father I'm sure.
Good luck
mrsI
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:33 pm 
Post subject: your baby
The baby will automatically get british citizenship. All children born in the uk get automatic british citizenship, regardless of where the parents are from or whether or not they have british citizenship.
Suzyhbuss
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:59 am 
Post subject:
Yes, your baby will be a British Citizen but where are you from? I am from America and you need to register them as a US citizen as well...if you plan on traveling there at all. It is against the law for me as a US Citizen to travel to the states with a child that we did not register and get a us passport for. So our son is has dual citizenship.
I hope that makes sense. Just check with your embassey as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular