IVF Referral

Cass123
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:39 am 
Post subject: IVF Referral
After 2 years and 8 months of TTC naturally and a salpingoctomy last February to remove a hydrosalpinx from my left fallopian tube we started the IVF referral process yesterday. Our consultant gynaecologist is referring us for IVF on account that the right fallopian tube could have also been damaged by infection. We have a series of blood tests to carry out and then must decide which fertility clinic we want to be referred too. We have the choice of Bourne Hall in Cambridgeshire which is the closest to where we live or Barts in London which is virtually next door to my office. Are you able to help advise how we go about making this decision, is there an official success league table where we can compare fertility clinic performance, waiting times etc and any other advise would be welcome.

Thanks in advance
Kass

xx

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/21e62d/
sharon34
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:13 am 
Post subject:
hi hun sorry about your trouble ...

there was 2 ladies on the ivf/icsi/iui thread who had treatment at barts ...sadly it never worked for them .....

depends on how you want your treatment to go ????? some clinics try to get lots of eggs and other try to get fewer better quality eggs ......there is alot to concider .what is the min follicle count for your treatment some say 7 some say 3 ????? its all on what the clinic guidlines are and your preference for treatment ....

if you need any help just shout ivf can be a minefield

good luck

x xx

Xavier lifes pure joy
Cass123
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:44 am 
Post subject:
Many thanks for responding Sharon and congratulations on your pregnancy. Was your pregnancy the result of ivf treatment?

IVF does feel like a bit of a minefield, looks like we will need to investigate thoroughly before deciding on a clinic. If you don't mind me asking what was the min follicle count at the clinic where you had treatment?

Thanks & wishing you a happy & healthy pregnancy
xx

sharon34
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:51 am 
Post subject:
yes our pregnancy is an ivf baby 1 cycle too

i had mine done at the care fertility group in the sheffield clinic .......but they do have clinics nation wide

our min follicle count needed to be 3 i got 12 follicles and 13 eggs that was on quite standard drugs nothing over the top

alot will depend on your fsh level ???? mine was 6.5 so that was good ......my only problem is i have no tubes after a badly managed m/c in nov 08

i know one of the other ladies was at another hospital and she has 5 folicles and they canncelled her tratment ......and if your having to pay its alot of money to pay for a cancelled cycle and its time and stress etc.....

x x x

Xavier lifes pure joy
Nicster
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:30 am 
Post subject:
Hi Kass,

We are going go to go with Bourne Hall - if you go on their website, there are some success rates, and they compare them to the national, I think Bourne Hall;s are pretty good.

Have you been there yet? Our details have just been faxed off and we have been told we will get a letter within 4 weeks - have you got further than that?

x
lillia
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:56 am 
Post subject:
Hun have a look on the HFEA website, they have the national league tables with all clinic success rates and what services each clinic offers. They also have a section where you can read the HFEA inspection report for each clinic - you must do this before you decide. Check that each clinic also offers free councelling, IVF can be a stressful process and it really helps to have a chat with someone who really understands what you and your partner are going through.

As for folicle numbers its a very dangerous game to go for a large number - make sure you are familiar wiht the symptoms of OHSS as this is a very serious result of over stimulating your ovaries. I would definitely say go for quality over quantity.

Infertility network is also a great site for info.

Good luck on your journey.
teresa1
Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:16 pm 
Post subject:
HI Cass,

I am just en route to the Bourne Clinic also. We have been trying for 2 yrs in Jan but had a m/c in Sept 08. It is good that you are nearly 3 yrs trying as you will be referred after the 3 yrs in Cambridge. I'm sure you know this but I've just had a consultation and am waiting for a HSG to find out whether there is any problmes with my tubes

Bourne has a really good reputation but it depends which one is easier and less stressful for you.

Good luck and hope to hear more soon.
x
Cass123
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:04 pm 
Post subject:
Many thanks for everyone's replies, we've decided to go with Bourne Hall as it's closest to home and performed well on the HFEA inspection reports. Not sure when we will have our 1st consultation, Confused we had all our blood tests taken before we went on holiday 2 weeks ago and were told if we didn't hear anything then my fsh levels are ok. Really interested to hear how you get on at Bourne Hall Nicester, may be we will be having treatment around the same time Smile

Hope you don;t have to wait to long for your HSG Teresa, good luck Wink
xx

bikini
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:24 am 
Post subject:
nicster, teresa and cass im having my ivf treatment at bourne hall aswell. i have my seminar dec 10th and first appointment dec 17th. i liked the look of bourne hall because it looks like a country manor spa rather than a hospital. it gave me a good feeling. its also the easiest to get to.

good luck ladies xx
teresa1
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:20 am 
Post subject:
Hi Cass and Bikini,

I had to change my HSG till Oct 13th as this month the test was due to happen right when I was ovulating. As I hadnt ov'd the month before with a really short cycle of 17 days I just couldnt cope with not ttc naturally for one more month. After that we have an NHS consult booked for Dec but we have already spoken to Bourne hall and will be meeting with them by end November as we will be self funding. I think that we will just have to move as quickly as possible before we have too much time to think about it.

I am really glad that all of the background testing has been done as it just speeds up the process. Have to have hiv and Hep test this week. God the things we have to do!!!! Its like there is just no mystery left about anything...my oh even knows how much I weigh now which I hate!!!

I really look forward to hearing how you are both getting on. Who knows we may be bumping into each other.
x
Cass123
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:49 am 
Post subject:
Hi Ladies,

13th Oct isn't very long to wait for your HSG Teresa, that will fly by and then you will be closer to getting started at Bourne. How exciting Very Happy I know what you mean about needing to fit the HSG around when you ovulate etc to get the max chance of conceiving naturally.

Good to hear someone else is also having treatment at Bourne Hall too Bikini and was insterested to hear when your 1st app was so we can prepare purselves for how long we will need to wait for our 1st app.
Good luck everyone and keep me posted on your progress.
xx

fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:29 pm 
Post subject:
Hello Cass,
Glad to hear your getting things moving finally. We are being referred when I turn 30 on 16th Oct. What happens at the first appointment?
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:44 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Hun,
We haven't had our 1st appointment at the IVF clinic yet so I'm unable to let you know what happens. It's a bit frustrating that we haven't received an acknowledgement letter from the IVF clinic yet - I'm sure you will have your appointment before me in October. Interested to find out what happens at your 1st appointment!! Smile
Good luck and keep in touch.
xx

fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:33 pm 
Post subject:
Sorry I meant what happened at your appointment with your GP where you got referred?

We did things backwards as we thought we would have to have private treatment, so we had our initial consultation at the fertility clinic 2 months ago. We had already filled in health questionnaires and forms on family history and my cycles etc, so they went through them asking any questions they needed to know, then went through the whole IVF process and we asked questions, they also did a detailed SA on DH and a transvaginal ultra sound on me to look at the health of my womb and ovaries.
Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:45 pm 
Post subject:
No probs,

Our GP referred us back to the consultant gynaecologist who carried out my lap & dye in February. It was at this follow up appointment at the hospital that the consultant agreed to refer us for IVF subject to us meeting all the criteria, ie BMI under 30, non smokers etc and then carried out a standard clymidia test on me and arranged for us both to have blood tests for HIV & Hepititus and also rubella immunity and FSH levels were checked on day 3 of my cycle. We also needed to decide which clinic we would like to be referred to as we had a choice of 5 but after some research decided on Biourne Hall.

Will you be going back to your GP soon to get the process started?
x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular