Yorkshire

1208julia
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:03 pm 
Post subject: Yorkshire
Hello!

We are going to Yorkshire for a break in October Half term, staying in a cottage just outside York. Being from Kent we don't know the area at all and so would be grateful for any ideas of places to visit during the week.

Thanks! Very Happy x
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:52 pm 
Post subject:
Ooo, I love York, there's loads of museums..There's The Jorvik centre..all about Vikings (its not as boring as it sounds..honest Laughing ) The York Dungeons which is really good. There is so much to do in York.

If you google York sightseeing or something..you'll find loads to do.

Hope you enjoy your break Wink
Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:30 am 
Post subject:
i heard York is beautiful
Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:28 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya

York is gorgeous!

York Minster is definately worth a look, and there is a good ghost walk starting from outside the Minster most nights. The guide we had was very eccentric and funny, and the walk wasnt scary but Im not sure if there is a minimum age restriction.

There are boat trips down the river which always fill an hour to give your feet a rest - have a wander down The Shambles and imagine the history!

There are the York Dungeons, the National Railway Museum and the Jorvik Centre.

There is a designer shopping outlet on the outskirts of York called MacArthur Glen which is worth a look.

Biltmore is lovely for a cocktail ot two if its just you and oh, its a converted church I believe and the atmosphere is brilliant. There is a good pub/restaurant called Oscars down the same street as Biltmore and Ive never had bad food in there.

Oh and Id recommend Fillans the jewellers if your oh is feeling like he wants to treat you to something sparkly! We got my engagement ring and our wedding rings there!

Have a fab break !

J x Very Happy
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:55 pm 
Post subject:
ZeeAndOliver wrote:
There's The Jorvik centre..all about Vikings (its not as boring as it sounds..honest Laughing )

i rember going there, that's where i learned the word faeces Laughing Laughing

Amandaplus2
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:45 am 
Post subject:
Whitby isnt too far from York. Its a lovely fishing village (ace fish an chips). Have a look at it on the net.

JafflePie
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:01 am 
Post subject:
There are loads of nice walks by the river too - and you can walk on the bar walls too for some nice views - or if you just fancy a nice autumnal walk then get yourself to museum gardens - it's not far from the minster (walk away from the minster, cross the road, pass the library and it's on your right). Look out for the squirrels and occassionaly peacocks Smile

Also, if you are interested in going into the minster itself, you might also like to look in St Wilfrid's RC church - it's on your right on the route to the museum gardens. Just a lovely church with a beautiful altar (well, after many renovations).

While you're in that area - I really recommended Ask for a meal! It's smack opposite - do a google. Gorgeous building and good italian menu, reasonable prices. There are loads (and loads) of places to eat though; another google depending what you fancy. high-end eateries are down Walmgate / Fossgate outside the centre.

There's plenty shopping that's not too spread out, parliament street and Coney street are the main ones and run parallel. Also Coppergate (around the area of Jorvik Viking Centre). Then there's the touristy part with little streets and alleys around Low Petergate running down to King's Square and The Shambles. Oh - and you're feeling fancy go to Betty's tea rooms for a hot chocolate - but get there early as it's popular (and pricey!)

It might be busy over the half term but good for halloween - York Dungeons plus ghost walks a plenty (there are different companies who do these - shop around).

In the general York area it depends what you're in to - drives in the country? Go to Castle Howard. Museums? There's the Yorkshire Museum (hence Musuem Gardens, above!) and there's Castle Museum next to Cliffords Tower. Clubbing? (ah, the days...) York is slim pickings, only the Gallery really, best to go to Leeds if needed. Loads of pubs in York though - Micklegate's the street to head for (and do the micklegate run, a drink in every pub/bar - urban myth I think as you'd be legless!) Shopping? Monks Cross Shopping Centre, McArthurGlen Designer Outlet.

Didn't realise I'd written so much, it's been a while but there's plenty to see and do so you can't go wrong really. Hope it makes sense! x
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular