SMP

J97
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:09 pm 
Post subject: SMP
HI, MY SON SAMUEL IS 20 WEEKS NOW Very Happy & I AM DUE TO RETURN TO WRK THE END OF OCTOBER & CANT BEAR THE THOUGHT OF IT- IF I DECIDE NOT TO RETURN TO WORK DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN YOU HAVE TO ADVISE WRK?? A FEW PEOPLE HAVE ALSO SAID ID NEED TO RETURN FOR A PERIOD OF TIME OR PAY BACK MY MATERNITY PAY!!!!???? Rolling Eyes
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:24 pm 
Post subject:
Hi J97,

Your employer will probably contact you about 8 wks before you are due to return to discuss going back etc...if they don't contact you by then I would give them a shout and then you can talk about what you have decided then. I am also thinking about not returning to work and changing career completely so I'm in the same boat as you.

I get really annoyed at these silly scaremonger people who say you need to go back to work your notice and also the numpties who say you have to pay back your mat pay! Evil or Very Mad The only time you have to pay anything back is if it is in your contract that your employer has given you additional money on top of SMP and that as part of your contract you agree to pay the extra bit back.....if that was the case your employer would have alerted you to it before you went on leave so I wouldn't worry about it. Your SMP is a statutory right which is why we pay all our national insurance and tax so just tell the people who are getting you stressed out about it to bog off!! Laughing My mother in law was trying to tell me the same thing but when I asked her why she thought that, her answer was just "but that means you got money for free"!!!!! She didn't actually have a clue and was talking nonsense! Rolling Eyes xxxxxxxxxx
Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:48 pm 
Post subject:
Hi J97,

Yes, it depends on the pay and conditions of your maternity period. For example I get SMP plus 100%pay for one week, then 90%pay for 6 weeks etc until my salary is reduced to just the SMP. If I choose to not go back to work, my employer could make me pay back everything I have earned over and above SMP. My conditions are that I must return to work for 13 weeks after returning from maternity leave. After this I am free to do what I like and will owe them nothing if I choose to leave. I think a lot of companies have systems like this, so you just need to investigate the rules for your particular work place.
There is also the option of going back part time? For example if you wanted to avoid paying back any money to you firm, but really didn't want to go back to work you might be able to do e.g. 1 day per week for 13 weeks, or whatever the agreed period of time would be for you company.
I completely sympathise with how difficult it is to leave your little angel and go back to work. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Bec x

J97
Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:32 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya - I have actually already told wrk I am gonna return part time & now im deciding to venture into something new too (hopefully)- something that means I can spend more time with Samuel but still bring home some pennies!! I have looked all over the place on the net trying to get an answer to the question of "how do I go about extending maternity leave" but it just doesnt give a simple answer - so frustrating!!
So - do ya reckon it might be an individual companys choice of what happens??

My mother in law told me Id have to pay money back too which got me thinking & now im worried!!

I so need to win the lottery then none of this would be a hassle!!!

PS I have taken 9 months in total & am wanting to extend to the year.

x
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:31 pm 
Post subject:
Hey again,

You could give your HR dept a call or email and ask if you could check what their company policy is and just say you'd like the extra mat leave time and could they send you out a copy of your contract t&cs and their written policy on how to go about applying for the extra time and what would happen if you did decide not to go back. Then at least you would know what you were dealing with and what options you have. As far as I can gather from ACAS and the direct.gov website you should be able to extend your leave quite easily but unpaid as long as you give them a certain amount of notice (i think that's where the 8 wks i was thinking about comes in but it might just be my company). ACAS are pretty good for advice (you can google them for a helpline number) and know all the legal rights and if you had some written info from your HR dept they could advise you of anything you're not sure of.

I know with my company if I decide that I definitely don't want to go back I have to let them know 8wks before my return date and then my notice is basically included in that time that's left and it gives them time to advertise my position. It would be the same if i decided to just extend my leave and i would just get it unpaid xxxxxxx

P.S. Mother in laws are right pains in the bum sometimes aren't they!!! Rolling Eyes Mines also told me that I shouldn't have taken anti-biotics at 20wks when I had a kidney infection cos it would harm the baby and that I was irresponsible by taking them! Rolling Eyes Oh dear!!!
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:47 pm 
Post subject:
[quote="Archie1] My mother in law was trying to tell me the same thing but when I asked her why she thought that, her answer was just "but that means you got money for free"!!!!! She didn't actually have a clue and was talking nonsense! Rolling Eyes xxxxxxxxxx[/quote]

Why!!! Why were MIL ever invented!!! Whose idea was it and who do I clip round the ear!! Laughing Of course we get the money for free, there is no point paying for it!!! Laughing How did you guys finally make the decision to go back to work. Im ment to be starting on Sept 29th but keep putting off calling my boss to confirm. I tell everyone Im going back and I have the papers for child care but............
Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:05 pm 
Post subject:
Hey Hunter!!! I got treated really badly by my boss since 3 months pregnant, the hours I am out of the house are horrendous (7.30am-7pm) and they don't do part time hours cos I am in management and the "business needs full time committment".......so I won't be going back there!! Laughing

I do want to do some part time work and try and do some more studying to add to my degree at the same time (we'll see!!! Laughing ) but I want a totally no stress job until i've had our second bubba and they are both in pre-school/primary school as I am fed up of the stress of my current job and want something I enjoy more too. I have money saved away that will pay the bills that usually come from my account for 6 months after my mat pay stops so I don't need to rush into something just for the sake of it. It must be so difficult seeing that cheeky wee kiwi face and imagining being away from him!!! Sad xxxxxx
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:47 am 
Post subject:
I love my job and they treat us sooo well, the pay is great too and goodness knows we need it. BUT I now cant imagine not being a stay at home mum which I guess is what we all want if the finances let us. The guy who is covering me while away is a mate and left his old job to do it, in some ways I think I feel guilty doing him out of a job. I spose he knew it was just for a year when he took it on though a!! Are there any mums out there who really didnt want to go back, did, and are now really please to be back in the adult world? Would love to hear how the first few weeks were Sad
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:32 pm 
Post subject:
I have to say I was DREADING going back to work, but having entered the world of payed employment again, I have to say I really like earning my own money and having my career back. There is no doubt that going off and spending a day at work is a darn sight easier than being at home all day - that's even taking into consideration I'm a primary school teacher and when I'm not in the company of my little angel, I'm looking after 30 angels owned by someone else (some not so angelic!) And the ofcourse there's the added bonus of getting payed at the end of the month.
Having said all the positives, I also have to admit that if I came into a few quid and didn't need to work, I wouldn't. Especially with number 2 fast approaching.
I guess the main thing to point out is that the build up is dreadful. You worry so much and can't even contemplate how aweful it'll be to leave your little one, but the reality normally isn't as bad and I think most mums, if they were honest, would admit that it's nice to pretend to be a human being again for a couple of hours a week - not just a mummy!
Good luck ladies!
Bec x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular