Cot vs Cotbeds

Harvie1979
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:36 am 
Post subject: Cot vs Cotbeds
I'm in planning mode and am starting to look at cots/cotbeds for the nursey.

I've always thought Cotbeds were a good idea and a better way to make them last a bit longer and so better value for money, but my friend who has had 3 kids says normal cots are better and more sturdy than cotbeds.

Can anyone help me figure this one out, so then I can tackle the next bit of confusing equipment my baby will need!!!! Laughing

Thanks

Abi
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:52 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya,
I had the same discussion with my boss the other day about this and she told me to just go for a normal cot, she said the amount that little kids will jump around on the cot bed when you convert it that it won't last as long as you hope it will. So at least if you keep the cot nice you can store it for the next baby. Well at least thats what me and the oh are going to do.
Shaz
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:02 pm 
Post subject:
I am of the same reasoning. I decided to buy a cot instead of a cotbed which has worked really well because my children have always got out of it and into a bed right before I needed it for the next one, without having to add all the bits back to it or before they are too big to break it.

Harvie1979
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:12 pm 
Post subject:
excellent, thanks ladies Laughing
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:43 pm 
Post subject:
Hi
I bought a cot bed for my son and I only ever used it as a cot, when he was ready for a bed I bought him a proper bed because I didn't think the cotbed looked sturdy or comfy as a bed.
If and when we have baby #2 I won't bother buying a cot bed again, I will just go for a cot
Good luck with your pregnancy hun xx

Linzxx
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:54 pm 
Post subject:
i bought a cotbed...but it hasnt a drop side which make things a bit awkward when leaning over to lay baby in it...hav the mattress on the lowest setting now as little one is 1 but bit impossible to lean over to give him a kiss hav to lift him up for that... Smile ...Can you get a cotbed with dropsides.. wish i had looked into this more before buying... Confused
becnichs
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:56 pm 
Post subject:
I've found our daughter's cot bed really good. I bought it because I thought it would last longer than a cot and it's still going strong. It'll get passed on to number 2 and I'll just change the matress.

Bec x

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:51 pm 
Post subject:
NatalieNFang
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:09 pm 
Post subject:
Shocked
after readin all your points now im confuzzled!!

im going to start looking into what we need to get for the nurserry n things n i was going to get a cotbed to save money and that you now..

grr all need to have a look about now

xx
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:14 pm 
Post subject:
Hi hun.. we just got a moses basket.. for when bubba born and we've decided to save up and get a nice cot... something that lasts.

I was proppa stressing at 1st.... bubba joey due in December so i might be able to get a really nice 1 in January sales... fingers crossed.
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:19 pm 
Post subject:
ahhh i never thought of that Laughing
im due january and i suppose i could hang off buying the cot till then .

good point thanks Very Happy

x
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:29 pm 
Post subject:
I wanted a cotbed as i wanted all the furniture to match and it would last up until 6-7 years. We've got the mamas and papas one that they do in Argos at it worked out 95 cheaper than actually getting it from the mamas and papas store! I was 450 for the cotbed, changing dresser and wardrobe and it is really nice, i didn't want to spend a fortune (although i think this is plenty enough for now) because if i bought a cot and furniture to match then when baby outgrows the cot i'd never be able to get a bed to match the wardrobe etc. This way we get chance to save the money for more furniture in the future.

However i appreciate that not everyone has my obsessive need to co-ordinate everything and my friends do in fact call me Monica from Friends!

Have you had a look on the Kidsmill website? Anyone got a spare 4 grand to furnish the nursery!!!!

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:45 pm 
Post subject:
LOL slummymummy...my OH and family call me Monica aswel.... not sure whether to take it as a compliment or not Confused
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:49 pm 
Post subject:
They all laugh at me now i'm pregnant and say just you wait til the baby comes along, your house will NEVER look the same!!!

I was VERY impressed with your super organised list! Very Happy

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:40 pm 
Post subject:
LOL.. i'm only 18wk but have got checklist printed out already... sad or what!!!
Am already putting new songs on MP3 for labour.. lol and have got the battaries for the camara... OMG what do i sound like...

I've got a dog and he's got a habit of getting each and every toy out ... i get really mad and am teaching him just to play with 1 at a time..lol
Every1 keeps saying "your house will never be the same again when u got a baby"... thats what they think..lol
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular