Ruling out DS

Maliena
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:21 pm 
Post subject: Ruling out DS
Hi to all and congrats on your blessings!
I'm 11 weeks now and of course very excited. At nine weeks I had a scan at the doctors where we saw baby's heart pulsating which was beautiful. The Dr reassured us that all is well. She then booked me in for another scan next week to rule out Downs syndrome. I am nowhere near 40. Anyway I was just reading up on those kind of tests and came across omniocentesis which just freaked me out.
I'm wondering if that was what the Dr meant when she said checking for DS. Anyway will someone explain to me what kind of test exactly it might be? Otherwise I'm calling my Dr tomorrow to make sure!
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:28 am 
Post subject:
HI there

congratulations!

don't worry about the initial down's testing - its a blood test only, which gives you a 'risk factor'. If your likelihood of downs comes back as 1:250 or a lower number, then yuor doc will recommend an amnio.

By the way - down's screening is not compulsory. You really need to think and discuss with your partner whether you would take action if there was a likely problem. Would you go through with an amnio? would you have a termination if your baby was found to be downs? Your doc should explain all this to you before testing. Personally I took the test as I just prefer to have all the facts, but I know others who didn't.

Good Luck

Anna
ang111
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:50 am 
Post subject: test results
I had my test 4 weeks ago and haven't had the results? Is this normal.

thanks
Charlplusbabies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:44 pm 
Post subject:
hi hun

havin the test 4 weeks ago and not having the results back yet is usually a good thing. they tend to send out letters within 1-2 weeks if the risk factor is high.
you can not detect downs syndrome froma scan so the blood test wopuld be the first instance to detect this and then should the risk factor be high the amnio be performed.
im sure you'll be fine

charl xxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular