my husband is a smoker

Aine
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:32 pm 
Post subject: my husband is a smoker
My husband is the smoker in our family. He doesn't smoke in the house but smokes when he's on his own in the car. When I want to go somewhere with the kids the car is stinking of cigarette smoke. I'm convinced that this is not good for our childrean, my 8 month old baby in particular. Hubby reckons it can cause no harm. Can anyone tell me if it's harmful or not?
Floop
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm 
Post subject:
Its very difficult to say some would argue yes and other would argue that it isnt. I would say go with your gut instincts and tell him how you feel. It would be a lot worse if he did it when the kids were in the car so think positive about the situation and how it can be dealt with. Smile

Annoy me and I will sit on you.... and it will hurt! Smile
xxJadexx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:43 am 
Post subject:
I think the official guidelines say that the chemicals in cigarettes can stick around for an hour (as they say if you or OH smoke not to handle baby for an hour after a cigarette) so in theory if you don't use the car within an hour of OH using it it should be ok.

But the smell of smoke isn't nice Sad At least he isn't smoking around the children though x

TiNiStar
Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:00 pm 
Post subject:
okay, from personal expierence. before i got pregnant i had my own apartment with one of my friends and we smoked all the time inside our cars and in our home. it smelled like smoke more in the car, where there was more ashes and as long as we cleaned out the ash trays and threw away the trash and opened the windows, the apartment was fine.
the cars were another matter, we would have to clean and vacumm them out to get the smell out, even after emptying the ash trays.

my older sister has a son and is now expecting her second child, a girl.

back when my nephew was younger she decided to quit smoking because he started having breathing problems just from being around her clothes that smelled like smoke.

this is what i found to be true:
if ashes are around, the smell tends to stick and the residue chemicals along with them. if you can smell it, the chemicals are there. the longer ashes are their the heavier the smell.

so if you can smell it, and if you already have asthma or lung issues, it could be a problem. you should take it up with your doctor when you take your kids to their next check up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Breaking the habit All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular