wat r the chances of it working
JulieWoo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:49 am 
Post subject:
Hello Bex,
there are lots of factors involved, but it depends a lot on your age which can can reflect egg quality. I think the odds are about 1 in 3, but its sometimes just down to luck. I had a cycle and it worked 1st time. I was 34, and already had a child, which also increases your odds.
If you have a look on the Care Fertility web page it gives you results. But on average if you are under 35, and your egg quallity is good it probably about 50/50.

As for implications, i suppose the one everyone will say it the risk of mulitple birth. There is around a 25% chance of twins (i only had one with 2 eggs back), only around 4% chance of triplets, and there is also OHSS (ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome), as they stimulate your ovaries with drugs to produce more than one egg, sometimes they make so many - but it is something they are on the lookout for and they give you the warning signs. It is potentially life threatening, but thankfully not that common.

Ask away, if you have any Q's i'm sure some of the other ladies will step in.

Julie x

Our baby Eleanor lost 6 Apr 10
sharon34
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:55 pm 
Post subject:
Hi bex,

im an ivf pregnancy .....1st attempt and i had no real problems .....im with julie on the stats though they can be very missleading ......

for most i would honestly say the hardest thing about ivf is youput all your hope into one thing and its hard to stay possitive about things at times .....i was very lucky and found the treatment very easy and stress free....wont say i didnt feel down at times as i did but from start to confimantion care fertility were fab with us ...... julie and i both have been treated at the sheffield branch .....the cost and treatment will vary depending on where you go even between clinics !!!!

good luck

x x x

Xavier lifes pure joy
bex05
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:02 pm 
Post subject: thanks
i just liked to say thanks for replying back to me
i had an appointment at docs for them to refer me to my consultant to start the ball rollling i thought ivf was free is that so ?
im really hoping it works and that i wouldnt get to disappointed but then i think would get very disappointed
JulieWoo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:31 am 
Post subject:
IVF is free on the NHS if you meet certain strict criteria. Eg, have no children of your own, and its the only way you can get pg - have blocked tubes etc.
If you have to self - fund, the cost is between 3500 and 5000 a cycle depending on the clinic.

Julie x

leanneb84
Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:02 pm 
Post subject: going through ivf
hi,

I had two rounds of IUI first, as my consultant made me try that first. After both rounds of IUI failed, we moved onto IVF.

I started the drugs on 15th Sept, that wasnt as bad as I expected, as I really hate needles, but they are only small, and they give you a gun thing to use, like wen you get your ears pierced, so they werent that bad.

The actual IVF was this week, I had my egg transfer on Monday. They collected 20 eggs, I was put to sleep for the procedure, but when I came round, I was in so much pain, it was unreal! Out of the 20 eggs, 10 of them progressed to 6-8cells, which I'm told is really really good. They picked the best one to be put back inside me, I had the Embryo Tranfer on Thursday, that wasnt painful at all, however I have been feeling really tender ever since. And the last two days I have had all the symptons / pains the same as when I'm due on. They froze the other 9. I go back on 27th Oct to find out if it has worked or not.

I hope this helps you with what to expect etc, any other questions or anything, please ask. Also is any other women read this that have been through IVF, please comment aswell, as it really helps to read other peoples stories!!

I really wanted 2 embryos put back in, but my consultant said that there is a new law, and that anyone under 30 can only have 1 put back, I am 25. I was really angry at this, but as long as it works, I will be happy. Fingers Crossed!

xx
JulieWoo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:10 pm 
Post subject:
Actually hun thats not strictly true. You can have 2 put back, then when you get to 40 youre allowed 3. They usually only put one back if its a 5 day blast xfer - and its a really high quality embryo.

I hope it works for you hun - but if not i would have his goolies on a chopping board!

Julie xx

leanneb84
Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:06 pm 
Post subject: hi
thanks for letting me know that, cause when my consultant told me, I was really unhappy and tried my hardest to argue my way to getting two put back in, I even rang two other hospitals but they said the same as my consultant, so I was gutted!!

At every appointment / scan etc I would bring it up again and say how badly I wanted two put back in, but I kept getting told point blank NO.

If this doesnt work, I will be raging and will definetly insist stronger and harder on them putting two back in next time! Thanks for letting me know, do you know of a website or anywhere that has got the laws etc on, so I could print it of or something?

Thanks xx
JulieWoo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:52 pm 
Post subject:
I've sent you a pm with the link to the HFEA.
They do say on the website that it is elective - that means you have a choice.

Julie xx

teresa1
Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:45 am 
Post subject:
Hiya Hun,

I think that going for IVF is a complete rollercoaster but for women having to go for this treatment its not a decision taken lightly. I have unexplained infertility which means that the docs cannot find a reason not to conceive . I'm 38 and aware that every month I wait and try naturally my fertility is going downhill fast. On one website I read that up to 35 chances are 46% from 37-39 25% and after 40 is about 5/10%. We are self funding and will be eligible for funded IVF in another year. My feelings are that as I have just turned 38 IVF is the best option as we do want more than one child (dont get me wrong we would be blessed if we have 1 never mind any more) I am hoping we will have some frozen that are still relatively good quality and can go again soon as possible.

Everyone is different and doing IVF is not an option taken lightly by most of us on here. You do put all of your eggs in one basket but this is a chacne you have to take in order get pregnant.

Good luck.
x
bex05
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:18 pm 
Post subject:
thanks again for all yours replys it does help and maybe put my mind at ease in some ways to know that other people are going through the same as me im only 28 years of age and finding out that i cannot concieve naturrally really broke my heart ive been waiting for the past 4 years for my husband to say yes go for ivf as he was hesitant for me to go for it as i was given so many risks involed eventually he said for me to go for it which blew me away as i was waiting for this for such a long time
in a way im getting nerous i havent seen my consultant yet as which im just waitng for an appointment im really hoping that all goes to plan im also really hoping that i get free ivf as trying to pay it myself i wouldnt be able to afford i know it might sound silly saying that but its true
i do feel for people who is going through the same as me
and also my heart goes out to the people who it hasnt worked for as i know its heart breaking when you r looking forward to something that you think would work and then find out it hasnt worked
i have full support of my family and there blessings
i maybe just talking on and on but it just nice to hear someone is there to talk to other than my family and talk bout babies etc without people getting bored of me talking on bout babies all the time and not been able to watch baby programmes and people giving birth etc and also been unable to watch my sister give birth to her children which this upsets her and me to some people say to put my feelings aside and think of other peoples feelings but i think why should i as my feelings count
i am really looking forward to wat is to become
im so sorry for going on and on but i feel a little lighter to be able to talk bout this to other people
again im so sorry for going on
bex05
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:26 pm 
Post subject: hello evevrybody
hi everyone just to let you know that my first appointment to see my consultant is on thrusday of next week to start the ball rolling for ivf i cant wait a little nervous though
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular