NHS funded IVF at Bourne Hall?

Cass123
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:13 pm 
Post subject: NHS funded IVF at Bourne Hall?
Hi Ladies,

Hope everyone is ok and making some progress with their IVF journey.

I spoke to my consultant's secretary today to get an update on our referral for IVF and She only got around to sending it through to Bourne Hall last week! Mad We had our tests taken 6-8 weeks ago now and thankfully it looks like we have met all the criteria for funding. Smile At least that's something positive. Very Happy

I'm getting soooo impatient waiting to get started, is anyone able to let me know how long they waited to receive their letter from Bourne Hall with 1st app details after being referred by their doctor?

Thanks a million
xxx

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/21e62d/
bikini
Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:21 pm 
Post subject:
hi cass,

i waited 5 months!! my hospital told us 6 weeks later (after our ivf refferal appointment), that they had lost a blood test result and my oh had to have another sperm sample, because it was 6 months old. our appointment at bourne was originally in december but managed to get a cancellation for november 12th seminar and first appointment 21st nov.

once i knew we were reffered to bourne all, i called the patient liaison officer 2 weeks later (impatient). from when we were reffered to bourne, our wait is 2 and a half months.

let me know when yours is.

good luck i hope you hear soon
xx
Cass123
Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:09 am 
Post subject:
Hi Bikini,

Thanks for letting me know how long you have had to wait - not long now Very Happy the time will fly by. What a bummer the hospital lost your test results. typical, I've realised that you have to keep chasing everyone during this process.

I think I'll call the patient liason officer next week to check they have our referral details - don't want to be wasting any more time!!

I'll let you know when I finally get a date for my first appointment. thanks again & good luck
xxxx

Cass123
Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:29 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Bikini,

I rang the patient liason officer today after your advise and She told me that they have my details and we have been invited to the open day on the 4th February. Very Happy I'm pleased to finally get a date in the diary to look forward too.

Do you thing it's worth ringing Bourne for a cancellation later on in November?

Thanks & take care
xxx

4yearsandstilltrying
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:10 pm 
Post subject:
Hi there,
I'm already in the Bourne 'system'. We'd been waiting since march and are just starting the process, so you're not alone in having to wait.
At our induction they said they have 3 mail bags full of applications everyday. It shocked me that it was that difficult to get in. Well done on getting a date though, it's something to look forward to.
I start the drugs next week, a second crack at ivf so am very nervous. Wish me luck!
Confused
bikini
Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:24 pm 
Post subject:
Hi cass,

only just seen this message sorry.

just got back from the seminar. there were 29 couples in total. the director gave us the talk. it lasted for about an hour. i was the only person asking questions. i asked about 4 because nobody else did and a good few more to ask but felt i should shut up because nobody else was asking. he breezed through it so i dont understand why nobody else spoke up?!

the one thing that did bother me though was they will only put back in one fertilised egg and no longer two!!! only if you are over 37 (im nearly 37) so 38 - 39 they will only put two back in then. i should be grateful that i am having one and i am, i just thought two chances were better than one. it puts the % of success down Sad

i am going to read the pack through that we were given that gives a bit more detail.

we werent told anything that we know from askbaby and what we can find on the internet. nothing else was a surprise. maybe all the other couples knew as much as me?!

we go back next saturday for our first appointment so i will find out when we start treatment.

how funny.. the director was explaining the possible side effects of the drugs and my oh was worried about where he was going to produce his sperm bless him. in the car park??!!! for everybody elses ohs (they have special rooms).

bring on next saturday!!!!!!

good luck 4yearstrying on your 2nd cycle. cass its definately worth asking to be put on the cancellation list. keep me posted.

much love xxx

xx
4yearsandstilltrying
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:58 pm 
Post subject:
Hi bikini,

I'm glad you've had your induction. It was very interesting when we went. The first time we did ivf (not at bourne) there was nothing like that. Me and my hubby found it very useful even though we'd been through it before.

Because we dont live near they let us take home the drugs at our appointment, which saves us a massive journey at the start of the process.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on, if you want I'll try and keep you updated on how taking all the drugs are all going.

xx Smile
bikini
Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:22 am 
Post subject:
hi 4years,

your right it was interesting the seminar. it was especially good for my oh to be educated about the process. ive spent the last year reading up about ivf and dont go into detail with my oh.

i hope i get to take the drugs home to as i live a good hour away from bourn. yes please let me know how the drugs go and hopefully i wont be to far behind you. ill keep you posted.

good luck xxx
Cass123
Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:34 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Bikini,
Pleased the seminar was useful at Bourne and thanks for all the information - I'm also dissappointed to hear that they will only put the 1 embryo back which will lower the preganancy chances. I'm 36 and was hopeful that they would put two back in women over 35. Multiple pregnancy wouldn't worry me - at least we wouldn't have to go through all of this pain again. Best of luck at your 1st appointment next week - how exciting for you both now it's actually happening. I think I will call back and ask if there are any cancellations - it doesn't hurt to ask. Wink

Good luck and do keep me posted, I'm really interested to hear about your experience.

Hi 4years - best of luck with your 2nd cycle at Bourne - everything crossed for you and hope it is a success for you. xxx Smile

bikini
Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:43 pm 
Post subject:
hi ladies,

well i went for my first appointment at bourn today with the top guy. really friendly people there and make you feel really welcome. at first i was a bit disappointed because all we did was go through paperwork and i gave a urine sample. we arent starting until march Sad three and a half months to go!!! for some reason i had in my head that i would be starting straight away in this cycle. then i gave myself another talking to because i know i am fortunate to be getting treatment on the nhs. it all just takes soooo long doesnt it?! all the treatments leading up to IVF and then the one year wait for IVF. i think im a tad pmt ill get over it.

cass - have you got an appointment yet/
4 years - hows the treatment going......

i want one of those purple cases that all the ladies have got, have you got one 4 years?

other good news for me, we got a mortgage approved for a house. whey hey!!

much love
xxxxx
Cass123
Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:51 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Bikini,

Pleased your appointment went well yesterday but can't believe you'll have to wait a further 3 months to begin treatment. It's so frustrating having to wait to get started - I was also under the impression you would get started straight away too. Sad It doesn't look like we'll get started until next summer if your experience is anything to go by. I did ring the patient liason officer last week because we haven't received a confirmation letter yet for our first appointment and She explained that they were trying to bring my appointment forward from beginning of February. We'll wait and see!!

Hang in there and relax over Xmas with the prospect of starting treatment next year.

How long have you been trying for a baby?
xx

bikini
Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:49 am 
Post subject:
cass, glad youre in touch with the patient liaison officer. she is very nice she will contact you i have no doubt with an earlier appointment. there are always cancellations. people cant take the day off work for some reason, they double book and even get pg naturally. the reason i got an earlier appointment was because the ladies oh couldnt get the time off work. lets hope you hear soon.

we started tryring when i was 34, i am now nearly 37. my oh is 31 and neither of us have anything wrong, just unexplained infertility. i suppose age isnt on my side now.

how long have you been trying? just got AF today. great.

roll on march!!!!

xxx
Cass123
Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:25 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Bikini,
The patient liason officer is really helpful and caring and hoping she will get in touch with me with an early appointment - that would be a great Christmas gift. Trying to take my mind off everything TTC at the moment but it's difficult when friends and family are trying for second babies before we've even started 1st IVF treatment. We've been trying 3 years now too and I'm 35 and so is my hubby. Roll on March 2010 and lots of BFP's next year. Take care Cass xx

teresa1
Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:49 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya Girls,

I've been out of range for a while as the whole process was making me over anxious and upset but I am back and hoping to start treatment in March. We decided to go privately (I put on the whole story in the other thread) and because of a poor SA we are now eligible for funding...3 rounds at Bourne woohoo!!! I now have to have a scan on Friday and more bloods taken and we will hopefully be able to continue the treatment we had planned privately on the NHS. Things were not going well but it really looks like its all looking up for us.

Our consultant was lovely and I had an internal done on the day. First time having my bits in the air with a male consultant but I think that we are all just meat to them. They must be so sick of seeing hoo hoo's at this stage that they must go home and not want to see any women again....

I see from your emails that you didnt have internals when you had your first consult. Also a bit worried as my oh's morph was so low we were advised to have IVF and ICSI to improve our chances. Privately it adds 1k to the bill but it will be interesting to see if they will still do this treatment when funded by the NHS.

How are your journeys going and it looks like I'm going to be having treatment at exactly the same time as you Bikini. I start on a Nasal spray in Feb and then all the rest in March.

x
bikini
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:38 am 
Post subject:
hi cass and teresa,

im feeling bit [*@!#%*] at the moment. im thinking what if ivf doesnt work. how am i going to come to terms with not being able to have children. i could just burst into tears (well i have). the last few months ive been really staying positive. this month i feel like i just want to curl under the duvet. ha just am im writing this i get a call from a friend whose sister has just given birth. ive got two step sisters that are pg together as well and its killing me. i have to be so happy for them and i really just dont want to know. i hate their false sympathy to its so patronising. im so angry with my body. im having thoughts of adopting now. dogs just come up to see me and is looking bemused bless her.

crying over now. blown my nose back to replying about our ivf journeys, which im fortunate to be having.

teresa i start my nasal spray first week in march so i will be a month behind you. you never know we may even be in the waiting room at the same time and wont know it. great please can you tell me how it all goes as ill only be a little way behind you.

cass hopefully you will be around the same time to?! any news on appointment times?

much love
xxxxxxxxxxxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to:  

Community

Popular