Advice on how to explain mummy's pregnancy to a 3 year old!!

sarahevans71
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:42 pm 
Post subject: Advice on how to explain mummy's pregnancy to a 3 year old!!
Hi,

I am 6+1 with baby number 2. DD will be 3 in September, and we are not sure how best to explain things to her. Does anyone have any tip/books etc they found useful?

Thanks!

Sarah
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:08 am 
Post subject:
im not sure how u wud explain this.

my sis is pregnant with number 2 and her daughter is just gone 2. she sort of uderstadns points to scan picture and says baby and rubs her mams belly.

i wud just say something a long the line of mammy and daddy r having a baby and its going to be ur brother and sister mite understand mite not but then wen u have scan pics then he or she may understand better and let them be involved feel ur tummy etc.

semi
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:12 am 
Post subject: don't worry
hi

congratulations - and good luck. getting nearer Smile

my son was only 19 months when my daughter was born, so unsure how relevant my tips willbe....

we just explained mummy has a baby in her tummy. hopefully soon a little brother or sister will be here for him to help look after. let the questions lead you from there... there's a limit to what you can hope/expect them to understand, but you can give them the info they ask for

you're so close, you can't consider the worst - you could only say that baby was very ill.
Stitch
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:54 pm 
Post subject:
I would wait until you have quite a large bump until you tell her. This way she will either notice and ask herself, making her feel good for noticing, or you will be able to explain better as she will be able to see the bump and feel the baby kicking. Also (mths is a long time to wait for a 3yr old. If you wait until your about 6mths gone, maybe a bit earlier, she won't have to wait as long and you will still have time to explain it all to her.

Atana
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:02 pm 
Post subject:
I've tried to involve both of my children (aged 6 & 3) in my pregnancy. They both came to my 20 week scan. My eldest likes to look up baby development and find out whats happeneing to our baby each week. My youger son talks about the baby a lot and sticks soft toys up his jumper and announces that he has a baby in his tummy as well! He often likes to kiss my tummy and says he's kissing the baby. I'm hoping they'll be able to feel the baby moving soon, but so far baby is not co-operating. It kicks like mad and then stops the moment I get the boys to put their hands on my tummy.
Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:19 pm 
Post subject:
I told my 4 year old the other day she was having another brother or sister. she didnt believe me at first but now she says she doesnt want one coz she already has a sister!! last time i showed her the scan pic took her to a mw appiontment and let er feel the baby kicking. also i took her to friends with babys so she would get used to being around them. By the end she was really excited.
Atana
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:04 pm 
Post subject:
My son has now felt baby moing. The look on his face when he first felt it was priceless - I wish I'd been able to film it! It really helped him realise that there is a baby in there!

Jump to:  

Community

Popular