Cheap meal ideas!

Amandaplus2
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:14 pm 
Post subject: Cheap meal ideas!
Any one any nice cheap meal ideas as we are on a budget at the mo as Im on Maternity leave. Thanks xx

cailin09
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:54 am 
Post subject:
do you like tuna?

I love canned tune, tomatoe sauce, mushrooms & pasta. you can add peppers, onion & sweetcorn as well and very fast to make.

Bangers & mash

if you have a slow cooker you can get real cheap cuts of beef and make a casserole or stew. Just cook it slow over 4-6 hrs and the meat is as tender.

Amandaplus2
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:36 pm 
Post subject:
calin09 wrote:
do you like tuna?

I love canned tune, tomatoe sauce, mushrooms & pasta. you can add peppers, onion & sweetcorn as well and very fast to make.

Bangers & mash

if you have a slow cooker you can get real cheap cuts of beef and make a casserole or stew. Just cook it slow over 4-6 hrs and the meat is as tender.

Thanks for ideas x

janet21
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:26 pm 
Post subject:
Tuna is good as a source for protein than chicken plus it's easier to cook than other meat.
Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:44 pm 
Post subject:
sorry to put a dampner on tuna, which i normally eat lots of but not in pregnancy as i was told by midwife to avoid it as its too high in mercury.
xMandyx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:25 pm 
Post subject:
I always get my meat in the reduced section then freeze it until I need it, make sure if you're cooking meat to use as much as possible of the meat then freeze any you don't use straight away and make stocks out of the bones for soups, gravy etc

I always find it cheaper to buy the loose veg then pre-packed and then I steam it all in one go and freeze it into portions so I can just heat it when I need it and I don't throw any away then

Cheap ideas for meals are things like Jacket potato and beans, omelette and chips, pasta with a tomato and chilli sauce, soups, casseroles and stews.

If I buy a large chicken for a Sunday dinner, I will get the Sunday Roas out of it, sandwiches for a couple of days, plus a pasta meal and a stock for soup so it's all about using food wisely. x

LauraTaylor
Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:46 pm 
Post subject:
I always make a really big stew.
1 big chicken and then cheap veg like tesco value, basically all the short dated stuff.
I come right home and cook it straight away and then freeze it, I usuall can make 8-10 portions.
Cheap but yummy and filling!!

I also make big batches of vegetable soup with short dated veg and again freeze it

Laura xx

Amandaplus2
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:24 am 
Post subject:
Thanks ladies x

EmzyLouPlusThree
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:35 pm 
Post subject:
We are in the same boat at the moment I have mainly been cooking
Macaroni cheese
sausage casarole
stew using value meat and slow cooking as mentioned above
buying a big bag of cheap potatos makes mash one day roasts another and some potato salad for packed lunch etc.
Home made soup
Making a huge lasagne bulking meat out with beans lentils oats or anything with home made tomato and white sauce cost barely anything and makes about 12 portions or more out of one pack of mince (i buy tesco value about 1.20 which is fine if you drain the fat)
Roast dinners using sausages instead of a joint of meat.
I just keep stocks of dry pasta tinned tomatos and cheese etc and we never go hungry
always buy reduced meat and chuck in freezer xxx
Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:49 pm 
Post subject:
I use leftovers to turn another meal like roasted chicken. I will make a chicken casserole out of that.
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:12 pm 
Post subject:
I find dinners with mince are cheap.

Alot cheaper to make your own spag bol and chilli. We use maybe half a pack of mince in our spag ball or chilli and just make it ourselves with tinned toms, puree and spices/herbs.

Pasta, phily cheese and smoked sausage cut through is nice. Pasta bakes are big and cheap too.

American bean pie (left over mince and potatoes,, mix the mince with a tin of beans and layer your tatties on top... my oh loves it i hate it lol).

We too have cut down ourshopping bill since i started mat leave.

We go to Costco once every 2 months and stock upon all our meat and tins as its much cheaper all we buy on a wekly basis is fresh things like fruit and veg and the things we wont buy in bulk.

xxx
mariandelijah
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:16 pm 
Post subject:
the best thing we did recently was tarted using the butcher up the road 1) its cheap! 2) it gets cheaper when he starts to recognise you! 3) you get the amount you need (we dont need 500g of mince 300g is penty) so you arent chucking stuff away or leaving it in the freezer never to be seen again Smile
happydiee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:44 pm 
Post subject:
i knbow it sounds silly but since we have been doing our veggie diet every thing is cheaper! like the quon chicken bits are less than two quid and if you use onions and peppers with it it will do two meals (like currys n what not) the roast join is only 3 and the mice last ages and tastes like the real thing! i love it x

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular