Long feeding sesions

CL
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:29 pm 
Post subject: Long feeding sesions
Hi Girls Jack is 16 days old now and I am breast feeding I am just interested in the avarage feeding time your babies take. He has been feeding on and off for 3 1/2 hours now. I am really worried that he is not getting enough food and I am finding it so stresfull. Plus like some of you other mums it is really painful but i can see that he is on propery coz of facial signs and milk round his mouth. Please any advice welcome xx
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:36 pm 
Post subject:
Babies have growth spurts when they will feed more regularly. He is getting enough, try not to worry. Does he feed like this every single day? xx
MummyAndPeppaPig
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:48 pm 
Post subject:
Freya is all over the place with her feeding!! I will have one day where she will go every four hours and feed for 40 mins. But another day she will feed every hour or so for only 20 mins.
Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:42 am 
Post subject:
a friend of mine's little boy had a habit of 'power feeding' for almost 5 hours solid every evening - poor woman never got a social life for months love her!! She worried the same as you, and ended up expressing a lot so she could see how much she was producing. To be honest I don't think there's much point doing that, as long as Jack is healthy just stick with it - he'll soon sort out his routine Very Happy
Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:31 am 
Post subject:
At 16 days he will still be sorting his routine and just how much he needs. Around 21 days you may see a large increase in feeding, this is one of the growth spurts then again around 12wks also. Normally lasts for a good week before settling down again. Well done you for giving breast feeding a go!!! Things will begin to settle for you, promise.
Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:15 pm 
Post subject:
Poppy can take up to 2 hours on and off on a feed at times, but I know I'm producing loads of milk as when I express I can get loads in just a few minutes, I have a theory that she is getting so much so quickly that she can only cope with it for 5 minutes at a time, then needs a break before having some more. This then goes on for ages. It's a pain, but I'm trying to just go with her at the moment, I figure things will hopefully even out at some point soon. It's so tiring isn't it?

Huntermac
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:25 pm 
Post subject:
I think it takes something like 3mnths? for them to become expert suckers if you know what I mean. You will see a dramatic decrease in feed times once their mouth muscles have become strong Very Happy thats gota be a good thing!!

(LOVE!!! the name Poppy!!!!!)
Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:36 am 
Post subject:
thanks huntermac. 3 months seems a long time to wait, but i know it will probably fly by!

ld

CL
Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:18 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for all your replies it does help put my mind at rest a bit.Petralou so far he hs done this every day and it dosnt look like it is gonna change.x
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:04 pm 
Post subject:
Cl, I think wait a few weeks (as hard as it might be), and see if he settles down. He wont get into a routine for a couple of months, and so will feed erraticaly until then. I always made sure that I woke Kaitlin up if she slept for more than about 3 hours to try and regularise her feeds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular