home or hospital birth???

Sakura
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:38 pm 
Post subject: home or hospital birth???
hello people, me again!

just wondering if anyone has had experience in having a home birth and whether it's a wise option or not? just that i had my son in hospital (he's 20 months now) and had the worst experience of it - firstly i developed pre-eclampsia and went to hospital only to be told by midwife to "go away we're busy" (whilst she was eating a sandwhich!) then when i went into labour i was told hosp was full can i drive myself to the other hospital, which was 15miles away!

then when i finally got in, i had barely no checks (bearing in mind i was 44 weeks) then when i was in full blown labour i asked for epidural and was told "no coz it'll take too long to set up and we don't have time" as twins were being born next door, so had to manage on entonox.

then i felt the urge to push as midwife went out room so hubby rushed after her to tell her and was told " she can't do she doesn't know what she's on about, she's not dilated enough" only for her to come back in and my son's head was crowning, then during pushing stage i had almighty contractions and was told to "be quiet, the noise isn't helping anyone" and as a result of delivering a 9lb boy i had 2nd degree para-urethral tears and because of the twins next door, i was consequently left for 4 HOURS before being stitched, laying bleeding on the bed all that time (lost 1pint in total) and i wont even begin on the so-called after care!! all of these comments were made by 3diff midwives.

please forgive me for the long rant but as you can see i'm thinking of having a home birth as a result of this, but very worried in case something goes wrong i should be in hosp where all the equipment is, plus they told me this baby is bigger than my son was, so does any1 know what the risks are of having a big baby at home, or the liklihood of old scars re-opening etc? i'd never forgive myself if sumthing happened at home and all for the sake of one bad experience!

sorry for the epic saga of a post again! xx
HannahM
AskBaby Team
AskBaby Team
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:27 am 
Post subject:
Oh my gosh Sakura sounds like you had a pretty rough time bringing your son into the world!

Have you talked to your midwife or dr about whether its ok to have a home birth - that would be the first place to start.

If they ok it I think its pretty much a case of whether you're going to feel more comfortable and relaxed giving birth at home or whether you'd prefer to have the medical reassurance that being in hospital can bring.

What are you leaning towards at the moment?

Han x
pixiemama
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:10 pm 
Post subject:
Wow that is one of the worst experiences I have heard. I have had two children and with the first I did have a rip (which they stiched imediately). With my second I used a more natural method, maternity acupressure. I didn't rip again, my second daughter was larger. For both I was at the hospital, then again the hospitals here are great. They let me do what I needed to do and were there for me. Honestly if you are wanting a home birth you should consider getting a midwife or a doula, you do not have to settle with someone that you do not know, get to know the person. Most of these women are supposed to be trained to care for you not tell you to be quiet. You should set up interviews and decide who you are comfortable with, and they will be like your personal guide through the birth. Most will work with you on anything you decide to do. They are also trained in case of complications, if something does go wrong they know what to do. There is lots of information on the method I used at maternityacupressure.com.
IrishMammy
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:55 am 
Post subject: Re: home or hospital birth???
Sakura wrote:
hello people, me again!

just wondering if anyone has had experience in having a home birth and whether it's a wise option or not? just that i had my son in hospital (he's 20 months now) and had the worst experience of it - firstly i developed pre-eclampsia and went to hospital only to be told by midwife to "go away we're busy" (whilst she was eating a sandwhich!) then when i went into labour i was told hosp was full can i drive myself to the other hospital, which was 15miles away!

then when i finally got in, i had barely no checks (bearing in mind i was 44 weeks) then when i was in full blown labour i asked for epidural and was told "no coz it'll take too long to set up and we don't have time" as twins were being born next door, so had to manage on entonox.

then i felt the urge to push as midwife went out room so hubby rushed after her to tell her and was told " she can't do she doesn't know what she's on about, she's not dilated enough" only for her to come back in and my son's head was crowning, then during pushing stage i had almighty contractions and was told to "be quiet, the noise isn't helping anyone" and as a result of delivering a 9lb boy i had 2nd degree para-urethral tears and because of the twins next door, i was consequently left for 4 HOURS before being stitched, laying bleeding on the bed all that time (lost 1pint in total) and i wont even begin on the so-called after care!! all of these comments were made by 3diff midwives.

please forgive me for the long rant but as you can see i'm thinking of having a home birth as a result of this, but very worried in case something goes wrong i should be in hosp where all the equipment is, plus they told me this baby is bigger than my son was, so does any1 know what the risks are of having a big baby at home, or the liklihood of old scars re-opening etc? i'd never forgive myself if sumthing happened at home and all for the sake of one bad experience!

sorry for the epic saga of a post again! xx

Hi there I thought you would find my post on a different topic helpful so I have copied and pasted it here for you to read:
I am 39 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I am having a planned home birth. I only live 15 mins from the hospital should anything go wrong (fingers crossed they dont) and so feel that I am not putting myself or the baby at risk with having my first at home. My community midwife was very supportive. As long as there is nothing wrong with the pregnancy eg high blood pressure throughout or anythig like that then anyone can have a home birth. I am having a home birth for many reasons one being that if I go into labour and have the baby at night if I was in hospital my partner would be sent home for the night which I dont agree with at all and also you get to be in the comforts of your own home. All in all it depends on what each individual wants but the good news is that home births as just as safe as a hospital birth as long as you and your baby are in good health. Good luck to all the Mammy's to be xxxxxxxxxxxxx

P.S Just to let you know I had to ask for a home birth I wasn't given an option and the midwife didn't mention it so if you are thinking of having a home birth the best place to look is: http://www.aims.org.uk/ it gives you all the information you need to obtain a home birth!!!
KerrBare
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:27 am 
Post subject:
I am not sure when you are due or if you haven decided on a hospital or home birth but let me tell you of my experience. I am the mother of 4...5th one is on the way!! I have had 3 in hospital...all of them are teens now and the last, who will be 2 years old in May, I had at home. It was the best experience I ever had. The care was wonderful and I was comfortable b/c I was in my own enviroment. I required no meds, no tearing/stitches and 2 hours after she was born I was having a shower and then eating a hamburger at the dining room table with my family. You asked about the safety of delivering a large baby at home....my dd was 10lbs 6oz and 23 in long!!!! I was in labour for a total of 6 hours and pushed for 20 min. I believe this was b/c I was at home and comfortable. My teens were able to be there for her delivery and my DH actually was able to deliver her while my midwife sat back and talked him through it all. It was the most rewarding, relaxing delivery ever!!! I hope this helps!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular