Confused!

Dev
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:36 am 
Post subject: Confused!
I went to my scan today, where the lady there (and my doctor) both said that I was at 9 weeks and 1 day. They gave me the due date of 27th of June. I told them about this site and some of the books I read that say that I should add 2 weeks to that and thatís my real pregnancy.

They didnít know what I was talking about and assured me that I was not at 11 weeks, but at 9. Yet if I put my due date in the Ask Baby profile, it says Iím at 11 weeks.

Who is right? Where am I in my pregnancy?
mylillamb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:30 pm 
Post subject: hi
hiya. im confused about this to. im 10 week today but askbaby says im 11 weeks. and a couple off days. im not sure i dont get any of it neither there is a bit on askbaby that explains it, but im still confused about it. x
HannahM
AskBaby Team
AskBaby Team
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:47 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Ladies,

Can definately understand your confusion, i'll try and explain it a little clearer......

Basically we calculate your estimated due date by counting 40 weeks from the first day of your last period - it's a method quite commonly used. This means that for two weeks of what we count as your pregnancy you're not actually pregnant at all, because based on a 28 day cycle, you haven't yet ovulated.

For this reason while you will have only been pregnant for say 9 weeks it's theoretically the 11th week of your pregnancy (counting the number of weeks since you conceived plus the 2 weeks you weren't actually pregnant).

Does this make it any clearer - let me know if that makes sense.

Han x
Dev
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:25 pm 
Post subject:
I did already understand that part, but what I don't understand is, is this the only place that uses this method? My doctor didn't know what I was talking about and tells me that I am 9 weeks, definitely not 11.

So, I'm not sure when I read books, what week I am supposed to be reading about? Am I at the end of the most critical period at highest risk, or am I in the middle of it? This is the part I'm confused about.
dawnb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:45 pm 
Post subject:
im havin the same problem, i put my last period down as the first day of my pregnancy that makes me 7 wks but on this site its telling me im 9 wks..that would take me into my last cycle...
Im 7 wks from the first day of my last period , so how come it says im 9????
mommykathy32
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:21 pm 
Post subject:
I was thinking the same thing as all of you. I just got an update from here and it says I am 14 weeks pregnant but I am only about 12 and that IS from the date of my last period. My doctor says that I am just starting my 12th week and my last period was Sept. 7th. So the fetus age is 10 weeks. I charted all my cycles so I actually know the exact date of conception and I know that I am a little farther along than what my doctor says but only by like 5 days- not two weeks.
I would go by what your doctor says your week is and read info on that week.
Congrats to all of you ladies!!!!
Charlplusbabies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:24 pm 
Post subject:
ok, when you find out that your pregnant obviously we dont know how far gone you are as we (Midwives and student midwives) cant see how big the baby is without the scan.
so we use the first day of you last period s a guide as to how far along you may be.
we then refer you for a 'dating scan' the purpose of this is to measure how big the baby is.
these measurements are then calculated to give you a new EDD according to the development of he baby.
its not very often a woman goes for a scan and then comes out of it with the same due date you had before. and its extremly frustrating when you find that your lesser weeks than you originally thouight.

in answer to one of the original qyestions you now to go on the date you scan gave you, which is 9 weeks.
when you go to your 20 week scan you may find that your EDD may change again by a day or two. it justb ll depends on the development stage of your baby. and its very i,portant baby has that time that she/he needs to grow and develop.

charl
mrswolfbane
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:27 pm 
Post subject:
ok what i dont get is my edd is 2nd july and i ahd my scan tuesday i was 8 weeks 6 days so now is sunday im 9 weeks 4 days when i have a nosey on babies development its shows and 11 week baby and says im actually 8 days and so many days

i always go by docs ones but why on earth is this site saying im a week smaller than i am i get the 2 weeks added on thing but not why its sayin im a week smaller
Dev
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:44 pm 
Post subject:
My due date didn't change when I went for a scan. They told me I was at 9 weeks. Still says I'm at....nearly 13 weeks now. Which surely is not right (at my scan my little blob was measured at 2.4cm, which is too small for 13 weeks).

Not sure about the maths on this one, and still confused.
mrswolfbane
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:15 pm 
Post subject:
dev go with ur scan this is only a website that measures things differently hun ur the same as me then im 9 weeks and 5 days today.my baby was 20mm so tiny 2cm and thats about right for it
HannahM
AskBaby Team
AskBaby Team
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:48 pm 
Post subject:
Hi everyone,

You were all completely right - we were accidentally adding an extra two weeks on our baby development picture page.

We've now amended the problem and hopefully the right info will be displayed for you.

If you have any further issues with this then please do let me know.

Sorry for causing everyone such a headache!!!

Han x
mylillamb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:30 pm 
Post subject: xx
hiya iv just noticed that its rite now. it will be a lot more enjoyabul reading the week by week now noin that its rite thanxsxx
ladymystikal
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:53 am 
Post subject:
hi hannah
ok sorry to add another post, but when i log in, it comes out with the correct week for me. i.e 12 weeks. but the email i got this morning said i was 13 weeks!. do you do your weekly emails one week ahead??

thanks
Kat
x
dollychops2
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:26 pm 
Post subject:
ladymystikal wrote:
hi hannah
ok sorry to add another post, but when i log in, it comes out with the correct week for me. i.e 12 weeks. but the email i got this morning said i was 13 weeks!. do you do your weekly emails one week ahead??

thanks
Kat
x

Mines the same!! Emails seem to be a week in front. tink there might be something wrong with it x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular