Weaning - Pls pls help!

Bryony174
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:15 am 
Post subject: Weaning - Pls pls help!
HI, my daughter is 3 months old, and i thinkshe's ready for solids. she finishes her milk and i know she's filled her tummy but shes still rooting for more she dribbles like mad cries after feeds and wakes up in the night for feed when she was previously sleeping through, I know we're supposed to wait till 6 months but shes been this way for over a week now and i just feel mean not giving her more!
Charlplusbabies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:14 pm 
Post subject:
hiya!!!

how many ozdoes she take and how often???

the reason why we dont recommend you give babies solids before is because their digestive systems just arent developed enough to cope with food,
i personally would increase the oz's you make in her bottle. it may just be that she wants an extra oz or half oz. we always tell mums that if baby is emptying the bottle then up the vottle by an oz, what you want is some milk left in the bottle then you know she's had enough.

you could always speak to your health visitor too, they'll be able to give you more in depth advice.
charl xx
Bryony174
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:24 pm 
Post subject:
She's breast fed so cant vouch for every feed but whenever i express i always offer her 7 1/2 oz and she usually takes between 6 & 7 so there's always a little bit left and 9/10 she brings a little bit back up which my health visitor told me means she's full? my health visitors away till next friday hence looking for advise on here!
Thanks for your help x
KaylaEmsley
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:02 pm 
Post subject:
hiya my daughters 3 months old and i give her baby rice or apple and banana burst from cow and gate before her first fed as she's a very hungry baby, and ive never thought it was a problem, she always gets a couple of monthfuls of jarred food before her tea time bottle, she sleeps through from 10.30 to 9, her bottle feeds are 210mls and she only ever leaves 30ml on the feeds were she gets solids.

if you look back 20 years weaning was ok to do at 3 months and nobody ever complained then. my brother in law was on baby rice from 3 weeks as he as hungry but born 9lb 11oz and he's never had a problem, just think about before all the age limits came into play when were babies weaned then?

i no this this contridicts what health visitors say but its your baby you do what you think is right and if you thee is a problem then just stop and carried on until she's ready

hope this helps

kayla
Charlplusbabies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:16 pm 
Post subject:
i can understand what ur sayin kayla but at the same time research has improved so much since 20 years ago and its from this research that these guidelines are set. they;re not dictations as to what you should or shoul not do with your baby but justa s a guide as to what research evidence has proven. for example since these guide have been brought in there a less babies sufferig with gastro related problems since 20 years ago.
i agree that Bryony174 is mum as she should do what she feels best but i have to advise according to what these guidelines are.
Bryony174
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:57 pm 
Post subject:
I appreciate all your advise, i've just given her a couple of spoons of rice at lunchtime if she's still hungry but not at other times and that seems to satisfy at the moment - she really likes the rice!!! I'm sure that research has improved and id hate to do anything to upset her digestive system but i cant seem to satisfy her any other way! I'm sure the first lesson u have to learn as a parent is whatever u do it's gonna be wrong somewhere along the line!! Laughing
KaylaEmsley
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:47 pm 
Post subject:
charl82studentmidwife as youve said these are guidlines not rules, so i think its up to the mum what they do with thier baby, you will always know your own baby better than any health professional(unless its something serious) , and i know my daughter would not do without her rice as she would be permanatly hungry, she's a happy baby and thats all that matters, to me i can tell if she's in pain and if theres something wrong with her she lets me know,

but at the end of the day i would never give her anything that is to much for her! yes she eats jarred food! thats my choice and until i see a problem with what im doing then im not goin to stop!
mrswolfbane
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:31 pm 
Post subject:
icheaper alternative to these shop brought baby foods is buy a 5.oo hand blender and do ur own jst dont add salt or sugars to anything u make

it saved me a fortune and it ment my kids cud share what we were having aslong as we didnt add salt sugar and butter to things.
Murph
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:24 pm 
Post subject:
There is always the chance that she is going through a growth spurt and therefore needing more feedings at this time.

Weaning at 12 wks is not good for the child. No, mother does not always know what's best - and I am including myself in this. We are human and we get things wrong. There are very good reasons to wait for as long as possible (ie up to 6mth) to wean as CT pointed out.
KaylaEmsley
Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:26 am 
Post subject:
Murph with what it sounds like your saying is that most babies that are not satisfied by milk are going through a growth spert if that is the case then my daughter is permanatly grow as from the age of 13 weeks it was my health visitor that suggest i give her a little solid food as milk just isnt enough! no baby is the same just because it affects one baby doesnt mean it will affect the rest!

im not having a go but this is what i think suits!

kayla
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular