Sleeping

Hugs
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:14 am 
Post subject: Sleeping
My 5 and a half month old baby is awake for 2 hrs then naps 45mins. Cycle repeats throught day til 11pm and then sleeps til 6.30/7am. Is there a way to make him sleep a little more in the evening? He has never slept 7pm til 7am? I have started to wean will this make a difference? Confused
doctoremma
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:16 pm 
Post subject:
Have you got a bedtime routine at 7pm? My baby is 3 months and sleeps 6.30pm til 7am and has for 4 weeks. He is awake for 2 hours during the day and then naps for 45 mins-1hr. Before his last feed he has a 30min bath and gets changed into his pyjamas. He is wrapped in his blanket (not swaddled anymore) and the lights go down. We sit down and read a story while he has this feed and then burping and a cuddle. He then goes down in his cot with teddy and the mobile on - that's it!
If he wakes up we do cry and return and try to console him without getting him up or pick him up and put him down as soon as he settles. We have done this every day since he got home from hospital - all the night feeds used to be done in the dark, in silence. We have always stuck to the 6.30pm feed as the "bedtime" feed. The only time he wakes overnight now is once or twice during a growth spurt. Very Happy
I would try establishing bedtime as 7pm and putting him down to bed - if he wakes between 7 and 11pm try consoling and returning to bed for an hour or so before resorting to a feed. Don't bring him downstairs after bedtime. It might take a week or 2 but he'll figure it out fairly quickly if you're consistent and persevere.
Good luck
SarahSewell
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:48 pm 
Post subject: Sleeping through the night
Wow Doctoremma,

You're very lucky to have such a good baby! Maybe you or anyone else can give me some advice then...

My daughter is 16 weeks old and I would love for her to reduce feeding in the night or sleep through. She has a good bed time routine, bath, milk, bed, lights down etc... She falls asleep with her milk and if she wakes, we allow her to cry and return with controlled crying, which seems to work well. She is still waking twice for a feed though, sometimes three times but only taking 2-4 ounces of milk at a time, so it is more of a habit than a need. Can you give me any ideas on how to wean her from those night time feeds please? We are currently following a book by Dr Richard Ferber, but seem to be making no progress at all.

As my baby is a bit of a crier and a grizzler in the day, having a better nights sleep would make the days a lot more bearable I'm sure!

Thanks in anticipation Smile
ladydee
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:35 pm 
Post subject:
If you know that she is only waking for comfort feeds out of habit then stop giving it to her just comfort her without picking her up (sing a song or kiss her and tuck her in or just let her see you or hear your voice)or if you do have to pick her up put her back down once settled and let her cry it out if she has to. She will eventually go back to sleep. After doing that a few times she will learn to go back to sleep on her own.

My baby is still not sleeping through the night but still trying to figure out what times are comfort feeds and what times are actual hunger feeds.

Doctoremma's baby is a very good sleeper.
Sakura
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:33 am 
Post subject:
Just reading these posts goes to show how different and unique babies all are! some babies find it easy to sleep well, while others dont - i dont think its any reflection on the parents routine as such because i know a lot of people that have followed a strict routine and the baby still wont sleep! i think its a mixture of routine and the baby's natural habit.

i have two sons, my eldest is 26 months and he slept through the night at 7 weeks- he had a routine of being fed every 3 hours which i think helped but he kinda put himself into a routine and we followed his lead from that and i just think we were bloody lucky!

my youngest, who is only 6 weeks old has slept through the night for the last 3 days (yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!) he is very different from our other son in terms of sleeping so we werent expecting him to sleep through so soon esp as he has been VERY colicky but that has seemed to almost clear up. again we give him 3 hour feeding as it worked last time and again, he's kinda put himself into a routine that we follow......

personally, i just think weve been more lucky than anything, but for those still having sleepless nights, i salute you! for me its the worst part and thank god my bubba is sleeping coz i dont think i could have done it for much longer!!!! xxx
Huntermac
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:49 am 
Post subject:
babycare.com have some great advice for sleeping habits. I had a routine which luckly worked well. Hunter was sleeping through the night from 8wks on 10pm-6am and now at 7mnth is 7pm till 630am. Those night time feeds are hard to break a, i started cluster feeding from 530pm on wards so he was full before bed which seems to have worked. Pop on to babycare.com though and see if any of their ideas suit you. (He isnt on solids proparly yet because of health, so its not that helping him sleep by the way.)
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:14 pm 
Post subject:
I agree Sakura all these babies sound pretty good and all the mothers are very lucky my daughters 7 months and I can count on one hand the number of times shes slept all night and even then she wakes about 5.30 she normally wakes 2-3 times a night for a feed which she now shouldnt need so night before last tried to not feed her at 1.00 and she was fine then she woke at 4.30 this morning and I stuck to my guns by not feeding her and she stuck to her guns by staying awake till after breakfast at 9.00 by which time Id already took my son to school whos 5 yrs and who also sometimes still wakes up at night

I think im just destined to have kids that dont like sleep roll on the teenage years when they stay in bed till dinner time maybe then I can catch up on some sleep
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:39 pm 
Post subject:
I've been lucky too, as isaac has slept through from very early on, with not many glitches. I'm not sure if this will help at all, but here's how i went about it..

He had 2-hourly cycles with feed/nap/play etc etc. All of a sudden he put in one 4 hour cycle late evening. I 'moved' his day so that the 4 hour sleep was 6pm-10pm. Somehow midnight til 4am didn't seem like much of a treat - but for me and hubby to get our evenings back seemed amazing!! Isaac then just started extending that evening sleep until it went til 7am. The one thing we did have to do was put in a black out blind in his room. I've since moved his bedtime to 7pm, so he sleeps til 8am now.

The biggest revelation to me was something my health visitor told me - babies are fundamentally different from adults in that it doesn't follow that sleeps in the daytime mean can't sleep at night - often the more they sleep in the day the more they sleep at night. Part of Isaac's bedtime routine is a nap - quite often he has a bath, then a 30minute nap,. then a big feed, then bed!! Seems weird, but it does work.

All that said though, I think luck has a lot to do with how babies sleep!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular