premature babies

loumark
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:33 am 
Post subject: premature babies
hiya, i had my little boy in may 10 weeks prem. hes 6 months now and doesn't sleep through the night. just wondered if anyone had similr experience or any tips?
Lanius
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:25 am 
Post subject: Re: premature babies
loumark wrote:
hiya, i had my little boy in may 10 weeks prem. hes 6 months now and doesn't sleep through the night. just wondered if anyone had similr experience or any tips?

Our baby was 8 weeks prem, born last year. he is 1 year old now and still isn't sleeping through the night. We are trying controlled crying this week and after the 3rd night of it, he is only waking once around 1am and so far cries for up to an hour before settling (I go into him every 10 mins if he isn't quiet - my wife isn't going in so that he doesn't think he's getting milk).

6 months is not a bad age to try controlled crying if you want to go down that road. We didn't start till now because all this time my wife has been fairly happy about continuing to go into him at night and feeding him. However sometimes he would not go back to sleep for love nor money! One of us would end up having to cuddle him to sleep or just laying with him till he settles. After a year of broken sleep, we have decided we must do something, especially because my wife is now pregnant again!

From my experience, it is certainly not unusual for a baby not to be sleeping through the night at 6 months and don't let anyone tell you otherwise (there is always someone who says "Oh he should be sleeping through by now"). It's frustrating when you see other babies sleeping through though. Whether you try any sleeping techniques boils down to whether him not sleeping through is causing you any problems. If it isn't then maybe give him some more time. Your health visitor should be able to provide some professional advice about this but if you have any questions, I'll be happy to help if I can.

Good luck!
loumark
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:13 pm 
Post subject:
hi,
thanks of the suggestion, the health visitor said they'd try a sleep programme on him if hes not sleeping through soon but they donnt want to yet as hes only been having 3 meals a day for about a month i think his main problem is that he doesn't drink alot of milk. thanks for the advice hope everything goes well for you with the new baby
kel77
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:45 pm 
Post subject:
I had my little gilr 7 weeks early, she only started sleeping through when she was 8 and a half months and onl when she was have 3 good measl and 4 bottles a day. Even then I decided to not go to her when she woke up for milk after a day of successful feeding, she cried for 2 hours, and has pretty much slept through since. We have the odd night of waking, which could be teeth, anxiety - who knows. I do think prem babies take longer to settle into a routine. Good luck, I hope your little one is okay?? xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular