January 2010 Mummies

GemGemz85
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:39 pm 
Post subject:
Hi girls

Dee, just wanted to say that your experiences are EXACTLY what i went through with Harry for the first week or so. Harry had slightly low blood glucose at birth and was permanently hungry, but as much as a tried i never felt like i was feeding him enough. My nipples were cracked, pink, sore and agony fom day 1. I cried at the pain of feeding him, especially as he was a little monkey and used to throw his arms around (hitting my nipples, ouch!) and suck whatever flesh he came into contact with. I felt very depressed. I also didnt sleep literally for the first 3 days, it was awful. After a week and half of this (i was a state and Harry was losing weight) i spoke to the midwife and i decided to begin formula feeding and expressing. From day 1 it made a hug difference to both of us. Harry was drinking enough and I wasnt in agony and dreading feeding my baby. The expressing hurt at first but my nipples slowly healed up and continued to fill up nicely. i've never made much milk but i normally can get 1-2oz, which is now about 1/4-1/2 of his feeds. I was so much happier without the pressure to 'perform' every few hours. After about a week and a half of this i began to put Harry back to my breast and he took to it fine. I use tomee tippee closer to nature bottles, which are a similar shape to your boob/nipple. I now breastfeed Harry 2-3 times a day, bottle feed during the other feeds, and express in between breatfeeding to keep my milk up. Sounds like hard work but it works for us. Harry drinks both breastmilk and formula fine. Sorry to rabbit on but i just wanted to share what i had been through and show you that you will work out what works for you. Pumping for a few days really does give your boobs a break to heal up! Use lots of lansinoh cream too. Harry was weighed today and is 9lb 6oz, little chunk! He lost so much during the first week or so and took a while to start putting it on, so im pleased that he's finally getting chunky. He's quite long and slim really (like his Daddy, not me lol), his feet are starting to push through the end of his 0-3months grows (some of them). He's going to be 6 ft 3 like Daddy i think!

Sorry to go on, hope my experiences help give you some faith. Sounds like you are all doing great. When Harry has just formula he drinks about 4oz, but last night he was greedy and drank 40z of formula and 2oz expressed breastmilk. Greedy boy! lol.

Lotsa love xx

P.S. Congrats Spinetingle!!!

clare1980
Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:33 pm 
Post subject:
As you know I have been struggling with how to make up powdered feed so had been using cartons of ready made aptamil newborn as I have the same in powder version, my problem now is that when I give the powder version he always throws up but doesnt with the carton ? any ideas or tips ?

Gem so glad Harry is dong well Very Happy and you have found a routiene for feeding that works for you

Deecee24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:01 am 
Post subject:
Well after a really rough start and a looong talk with my mw. My milk finally came in last night. I've been persevering with breastfeeding her during the day but i fed her just before bed and she slept for 4 hours. Yay i'm so happy she's getting something from me and is sleeping because of it. We're still giving top ups with formula. She drank 4oz at 2.30 this morning and slept till 7.30. Hopefully if i can express some then i will make more for her.

Mia's fab too. She gets weighed today so will let you all know she gets on.

Thanks for the reasurances i really need it. In the end we just want to do whars best for our babies.

Dee
x
GemGemz85
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:51 pm 
Post subject:
clare1980 wrote:
As you know I have been struggling with how to make up powdered feed so had been using cartons of ready made aptamil newborn as I have the same in powder version, my problem now is that when I give the powder version he always throws up but doesnt with the carton ? any ideas or tips ?

Gem so glad Harry is dong well Very Happy and you have found a routiene for feeding that works for you

Not sure what to suggest about the powdered milk. Harry seems to drink anything i stick in his bottle! I used the cartons at first because they were smaller just to try out, but i've got the powder now because its so much cheaper (and doesnt have to be used within 24/48hrs of opening). Maybe try a different brand? Make sure you really mix it well and we exact measures? Sorry hun, im still learning myself. May!be Henry just has expensive taste!!! Good luck xx

Deecee24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:54 pm 
Post subject:
Mw weighed Mia today. She's only lost 1oz so is down to 7lb 3oz. Apparently thats very good as most babies can lose up to 7 or 8oz. She must be eating enough which makes me feel better too.

Think i've got a case of baby blues. I keep crying for absolutely no reason at all even when there's no one esle in the house with me. My emotions are everywhere.

Mia is getting more beautiful every day. She's perfect Very Happy

Dee
x
clare1980
Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:41 pm 
Post subject:
Dee sorry you are feeling blue I too have my weepy days its like been pregnant but worse, Im quite upset at the moment as hubby tells me he is going back to work on tuesday and I just dont know how I will cope as im still in such alot of pain

Henry is not eating as much today but has not been as sick so thats a good sign I think

Have you all mangaged to start getting out the house yet we registered the birth today but it took us 40 minutes and 2 outfits before we could leave lol it was like a comedy Laughing

Deecee24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:04 pm 
Post subject:
No haven't been out the house yet. I can barely walk or move too far as the SPD is still really sore. Some days i can't walk more than up and down the stairs. Mw thinks its gonna take a bit time to get better.

Good news is the breastfeeding is going better today. She seems a little more settled with me feeding her than ever before.

She wouldn't sleep for long last night as she kept fussing. I brought her down the stairs and Matt took over from about 2am. He let me sleep till 9.30am this morning so am feeling a little better.

How is everyone else doing?

Dee
x
clare1980
Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:11 pm 
Post subject:
Im feeling really tired and dreading hubby going back to work next week, henry is bad at night and some nights its 2 or 3 am before he finally settles leaving us exhausted, Im sure he will get better eventually it just doesnt feel like it at the moment

on a good note his sickness has been better today with infacol and using dr brown bottles Very Happy

I have health visitor coming on wednesday what will she be doing ?

Carthomas
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:27 am 
Post subject:
hi ladies had my litttle one on the 14th and he is just so perfect how is everyone finding motherhood so far?
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:31 pm 
Post subject:
Congrats wisher how did it go? Do you have a name for him yet?
x
StaceyRD
Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:05 pm 
Post subject:
May I join? Very Happy
Had Isabelle Amber at 3.10am on Thursday the 14th, 11 days overdue, weighing 10lb 3oz. Ouch!
Will post my story soon, is a bit of an odd one!
She's an absolute treat and I am loving motherhood so far.
Glad the January babies are finally all coming!!
xxx
spinetingle
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:22 pm 
Post subject:
Hello girls - I've missed you Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I am breastfeeding owwwwwwwwwwwww my god it hurts.

I too have really really struggled - to the point where the midwives were really worried about my state of mind I think and I have had someone round to help us every day.

She feeds LOADS and I too have unbelievable sore nips - but really determined to persevere - even when just like you Dee she feeds for 45 mins at a time and then demands some more 20 mins later.

Think I just have to get tjhrough the next few days - everyone I know tells me it gets better - so fingers crossed breastfeeding ladies.

Doesn't it all seem a bit surreal? I feel like I am living in a dream world. If I think about the birth - or how nice my friends and family are I get really upset - seriously could cry an ocean at times.
xx
clare1980
Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:23 pm 
Post subject:
congrats and welcome stacey and wisher Very Happy

were still realy struggling on a night what is everyone elses LO doing on a night how often are the waking etc ?

Deecee24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:08 am 
Post subject:
I get about 3-4 hours sleep a night. Feeding is going well during the day it's night time that takes its toll. She's always hungry.

I'm like you tingle i cry constantly but am beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel with my emotions. Yesterday was the first day i felt remotely human.

Can i ask you ladies? Does your LO snore or is it just mine? She's really snuffly when she sleeps.

Mia is 1 week old today woo hoo!!!!! i've made it through the first week without strangling or murdering someone.

It's great to be able to snuggle right into my OH again and be close Very Happy

Dee
x
StaceyRD
Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:04 am 
Post subject:
I'm so pleased, first night alone with my 4 day old little girl and she only woke twice from eleven to five Very Happy
Boyfriend even took her downstairs this morning and let me get 3hrs extra sleep!! Surprised
Bit of an odd question, but did anyone/does anyone notice that certain foods taste different, or you've gone off anything? I went off chocolate for the first three months of my pregnancy, and now again it just tastes bland, as well as some other stuff.
Hope all mums and babies are happy!
xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Birth Club 2010 All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 2 of 60

Jump to:  

Community

Popular