Expecting twins while breastfeeding...

Li246
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:32 am 
Post subject: Expecting twins while breastfeeding...
Hi everyone,

I've just found out I'm expecting twins. Am now 7 weeks in and have a 2.5 month old daughter who I'm breastfeeding. Also have a 3yr old son. My doctor has suggested weaning my daughter but I really don't want to and he has said it's not completely necessary at this time. Was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this/was in the same situation at the moment?

Thanks very much, Lilidh
gizmomama
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:30 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,
Congraulations to you. My situation is slighly similar. I just found out on boxing day I am pregnant whist I was still feeding my 7 month old. I'm not sure how far along I am but I did notice my son started feeding all of the time day and night and I had a huge appitie I couldn't keep up with. When I found out I was pregnant I made the hard decision to stop feeding him and switch to formula. This was partly due to the lack of sleep I was getting due to the constant feeding, me thinking he wasn't getting enough milk as my supply must have been low and wondering if I would be harming the pregnancy by continuing to feed.
I spoke to a breast feeding counsellor who assured me that it was possible to continue feeding during pregnany but it is a very personal decision to make. She agreed that it sounds like the milk supply was low even though this is unusual early on as it usually drops mid pregnancy when a lot of babies will self wean. She also said that I would be the one to suffer from continuing feedind not the baby or my ds, that they would take what they needed and I would have want was left - hence the appitie and the tiredness.
Hope this help you Smile
Li246
Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:38 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks. It's nice to know someone else is in a similar situation - does make me feel a bit better. I am quite tired (funny that...!) and am eating pretty much non-stop... but am coping at the moment. I seem to be keeping up with Isla (my daughter) at the moment so i'll just see how we go! She'll have to be weaned once the twins arrive - I mean, I'm not feeding 3!!! She's not as demanding as my son was...

Congratulations to you too. That must have been hard to make the decision to stop breastfeeding... How's it going?

Lilidh x
gizmomama
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:53 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,
It's going ok was really hard stopping due engorgement but that has completely settled and ds has stopped trying to latch on lol. I had a unscheduled scan today as I had no clue how pregnant I am and i'm 10 weeks 2 days which made me feel a little better about stopping as I am approaching the middle of the pregnancy where he may have self weaned anyway.
I think you are doing the right thing if you can keep up even just for a while longer as b/f is so much better for her and in my opinion easier than bottle feeding! I just had to remind myself that I wasn't superwomen and it was better I gave up personally as I was really running out of steam and getting no sleep at all lol
Good luck with everything
Julie Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Twins, Triplets and Multiples All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular