what is controlled crying i need help

lindyloo
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:38 pm 
Post subject: what is controlled crying i need help
my 6 month old is waking every hour i have seen a few posts on this site about controlled crying could someone please expain this method to me - i am at my witts end. please help x
Lanius
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:17 pm 
Post subject: Re: what is controlled crying i need help
Hi,

Firstly, don't think you are alone - there are 100s if not 1000s of parents in the same boat. We've been doing controlled crying with our 1 year old for 10 nights now and although he is certainly getting better (he had been waking every 2 hours or so each night), he still isn't sleeping right through.

Controlled crying is basically allowing your baby to cry for a timed period (say 5 minutes to begin with) and then you go in but don't pick them up, just lay them back down, pat them gently (say night night or something if you like) then go back out. They will probably cry again but you leave them alone for another 5minutes then go back in and do the same thing. Extend the period to 10 minutes to give them more time to settle by themselves. We gave our baby 10 minutes between each "laying down". Only I go in, not my wife so he doesn't associate our visit with milk.

After 3 nights we didn't need to go into him again. He would still wake but settle himself after up to a few minutes. Last night I had to go into him for the first time since last week but we think he is getting a cold.

The only problem is that he wakes to get up about 4.30am every day!!!! Still, we'd rather that than us keep having to go into him every couple of hours to help him settle.

You are possibly best speaking to your health visitor before embarking on any technique to get some more professional advice though.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular