Maternity Allowance

xDebsx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:20 am 
Post subject: Maternity Allowance
Hi ladies

Just wondering if anybody has recieved maternity allowance after being made redundant?

I looked on direct.gov to see if i had a chance and I have worked the required amount of time withing the test period. However - when I got the forms to fill in it states that I must have worked the 26 weeks out of 66 test period AND left work to have my baby Confused

I didn't leave work to have the baby though I was made redundant at the very start of my pg (infact before i even realised I was pg) and have been on JSA since. Problem is if i tick the NO box (left work to have baby) it takes me to self employed info etc and is confusing me Confused

Am I interpreting the form wrong in the fact that it means i have stopped working to have baby - as in i am not working whilst recieving MA OR does it mean that you have to have left work for the specific reason of having a baby Confused Confused Confused

Can you tell Im confused? Laughing

Would be grateful for any advice or experience ladies - thanks

xx

mumtoastar
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:52 pm 
Post subject:
I left work due to loads of problems at the start of my pregnancy, and applied for Maternity Allowance. They weren't bothered about any of the details just if I had worked 26wks out of 66wks in the given period. Just make sure you've got your wages slips together to send in (it doesn't have to be a block of wage slips - you can just send in the best paid ones in the allowed period). They send it back to you any problems or anything you've missed out. I did find it so confusing!!! I think you will be able to get it but give them a call and check, you'll have to ring your local jobcentre for the number because they don't put it on any website (or they didn't 9 months ago!)
Hope you get it! x

hydra101
Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:57 am 
Post subject:
I think your interpreting the form wrong, I filled mine out at the weekend and was a bit confused with the bit about have you left work to have baby, but seeing as I have preggy brain, I decided to leave it a while and come back to it when my head was on sttraight lol and then I kinda understood it a bit more, basically tick no to leaving work to have the baby cause that it asking if you have specifically left work to have the baby, but obviously when it takes you to self employed you need to tick no to that too, the fact that earlier in the form you would have given the dates of when you left work (or made redundant in your case) and that your on benefits, is enough evidence for them.
shootingstars
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:20 am 
Post subject:
It just means worked 26 weeks out of the last 66 weeks, it doesnt matter when you left work but you need to have worked for the 26 weeks otherwise you are not entitled to maternity allowence, But form 29 weeks you can claim Income support until you baby reaches 15 weeks of age, as you are living with a partner, then you have to claim Jobseekers Allowence, But if you were a single parent then you could claim until your youngest child is 7 years of age, bit unfair one thinks, but thats how it works, i cant see how they can justify that because you have a partner that is in work its perfectly ok for yourself to return to work when your child hits 15weeks, and put your child in childcare, but single parents get the same benefit and do not have to look for work, Rolling Eyes
But thats our benefits system unfortunatly,
But if you cant get the maternity try for income support,
Stars x

xDebsx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:33 am 
Post subject:
Thanks for the replies ladies - I rand up the Job centre as when I went in in person they were worse than useless and their attitude towards you is disgusting sometimes Mad . They gave me a number to ring which is specificaly for mat allowance help and the woman was really helpful and made it sound like i might have a chance Very Happy Can't apply till next monday so will keep everything crossed and let you know.

Crisi - you are so right about the benefits system hun - it's completely unfair. If you are a single parent you get help to stay at home and see your child grow up yet if you have a hard working partner you both have to be in work and miss out? Stupid! ggrrr!

I am on JSA at the mo (contributions based so runs out in a month). OH earns too much for me to be entitled to income support or income based JSA so basically if i dont get MA I will get nothing and be forced to look for work when baby is about a month old Sad

xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Finances All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular