can i get help with rent while on maternity leave???

gill20
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:25 pm 
Post subject: can i get help with rent while on maternity leave???
I am due to go on maternity leave on the 12th of march 4 weeks before the baby is due but i am so worried i won't be ablt to afford my rent for my flat as my partner only does 25hours a week and i will only be getting 111 a week of government.. i passed my driving test last week and i can't even afford a car to go places i am so worried
hellana
Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:29 pm 
Post subject:
im not to sure hun ur best to ring citizens advice and ask them but i do know we didnt get any extra help with our mortgage when i was pregnant my poor df had to work extra hard xx
gill20
Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:31 pm 
Post subject:
it is so hard my OH cant afford to pay every thing as he doesnt earn as much as i do he only got his job just before xmas after losing his last one... i can't help but owrry all the time
Jolene8880
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:33 pm 
Post subject:
When your baby is born you'll be able to claim tax credits, but I'm not sure about housing benefit, you would be best to contact CAB as hellana said or your loacal council benefits department, they'll let you know what you can claim. you should also be able to claim a sure start materniy grant when your tax credits come through Smile

gill20
Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:35 pm 
Post subject:
thank you... just i work alot so dont get much time to go to job centre and citenzen advise xx
hellana
Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:36 pm 
Post subject:
we really struggled untill my son was born but they do back date u and u do get a nice lump sum but its the weeks/months leading up to the birth thats the hardest but defo give them a call hun and see what u are entitled too .. good luck xx
gill20
Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:37 pm 
Post subject:
thank you... i can't stand how people who dont work or pay taxes get every thing but the people who do pay taxes and work don't get very much
hellana
Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:38 pm 
Post subject:
tell me about it hun it makes my blood boil Evil or Very Mad
gill20
Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:40 pm 
Post subject:
it get me very angry.. if the worst comes to the worst i will have to go back to work early and leave my OH to look after the baby and then go to work when i get home
hellana
Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:42 pm 
Post subject:
best of luck hun let us know how u get on when u call citizens advice xx
gill20
Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:42 pm 
Post subject:
i will.. thank you for your advise
MichelleHx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:19 am 
Post subject:
You can apply for housing benefit from your local council whilst on maternity leave, but you just have to let them know when there are changes in your income. So when you go back to work or leave work or change job.
How my housing benefit is worked out is mine&oh's income a week, from work/mat pay&tax credits, then they deduct the amount the government have stated a family like ours such be able to live on a week (for us - 2adults 1 baby under 1 it was 184.86 a week) which leaves 'excess amount'.
They then work out how much of your rent is eligible for a rebate. (i don't know how this is calculated but pretty much all of our rent was eligible). Once they've got this amount they deduct 65% of your excess in come from it and what is left they pay.

Hope this helps and gives you an idea of what you might be entitled too. We weren't entitled to anything while i was on maternity as it pushed our income too high but obviously your circumstances may be different so you could be entitled.
You can probs get a form from local council office or i printed mine off from council website.
xx

shootingstars
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:09 am 
Post subject:
Have a look on you local council website, they usually have a benefits calculator, and you can see if you are entitled then, and how much you will get,
Stars x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Finances All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular