Food Smells at Work

Dev
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:46 pm 
Post subject: Food Smells at Work
I have a certain lunch time at work and at all other times, I must work. I do have colleagues who have lunch at different time than I do. Often times they cook things I canít stand the smell of (fish mostly). These smells are so strong, they make me sick.

Iím not sure what to do. I canít ask them not to eat what they want. If I say anything, they think Iím complaining (they have told me this). I canít take a 3 hour lunch break to span the time when people eat lunch. I canít even make my own lunch in the kitchen due to the smells. Iím not sure what to do on this, as I am not trying to complain or be whineyÖI really do feel very sick. Any suggestions?
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:17 pm 
Post subject:
I have my lunch in a staffroom with a kitchen too and understand where you're coming from when people cook or for me it's worse when they come in from having a ciggie outside! Sad Is there not another office or room that you can go to to eat your lunch or maybe find a sympathetic colleague or friend who works nearby who will go out to a cafe or sandwich bar with you? As you say, you can't ask people to eat differently so you might have to think about your other options for lunch until your morning sickness wears off a bit.

Hey, think about it this way, apparently the sicker you feel, the stronger the HCG is in your body so your bubba must be healthy!!! I try to remind myself that everytime I run for the loo, feel the odd funny cramps, konk out straight after work.......it's difficult this pregnancy thing! Laughing

Hope you find the answer xxx
Dev
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:52 am 
Post subject:
My problem is not what I can do for lunch. I can always leave for that if I need to. The main problem is that people take their lunch breaks between 12 and 3 in our office. My lunch is between 12.45 and 1.45. So for all that time that I'm not at lunch, people are cooking things in our office for their lunch.

We have a one room office with an annex kitchen so you can smell everything people cook. Between 12 and 12.45 and 1.45 and 3, I have to be at my desk working all the time smelling the sickening foods people are cooking and eating in the office.
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:37 pm 
Post subject:
Ahhh I see, sorry I misunderstood your original message.

Is there a scent that you do like that you could put onto a light cotton scarf or tissue and have it close by to grab when they start their nasty cooking smells? I found this on one of those morning sickness advice websites. Apparently lavender oil is meant to be quite good and safe for pregnancy too. Cos it's the smell of cigarettes that sets me off the worst I wear a scarf on the way to work with my fave perfume sprayed on it and if someone gets on the bus and they smell of stale smoke I pull the scarf up round my face and it takes my mind and stomach off it. Either that or a maybe one of those timer squirty air fresheners to put on your desk with a scent you can stand?

Sorry if that's still not any help xxx
Dev
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:07 am 
Post subject:
No, that's lots of help! I could do that, as well as get one of those airwick scent release thingys for my desk. I will try to find some lavender oil to see if that might help.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular