Available benefits if resigned from work to look after baby?

covertsurfer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:38 pm 
Post subject: Available benefits if resigned from work to look after baby?
Does anyone know what benefits one can claim if you give up work to look after a baby?

Thanks
MichelleHx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:40 pm 
Post subject:
We get housing benefit to help pay the rent, council tax benefit, then child tax credits and hubby gets working tax credits.

covertsurfer
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:41 pm 
Post subject:
Do you get Income Support or whatever it is these days - Jobseekers Allowance??
xDebsx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:45 pm 
Post subject:
It all depends on what your OH earns tbh.

Everybody is entitled to child benefit at a standard rate and tax credits (rate dependant on household income)

Other than that - everything else is means tested.

I was made redundant in september and went onto contributions based JSA for 6 months only but if you have just left your job you wont be entitled to that. I get nothing else .

Things like housing and council tax benefit and income support are all dependant on OH earnings. Best thing to do is ring up your local Job centre and they will tell you what you may be entitled to and put you in touch with the relevant departments.

xx

handbaglady
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:01 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, I think you might only be entitled to jobseekers Allowance if you are actively looking for work, so this would not apply if you have given up work to look after your LO. I don't get any benefits at all, and I am also a full time Mum. I am self employed, but the small amount of income I get from my job is less than any benefits I may be entitled to!
Jo x

xemplus2x
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:01 pm 
Post subject:
hey
Yeah I applied for JSA but in the end after talking to the woman wasnt worht it!
1 they need you to come in all the time.. so cost of petrol
2 would reduce the amount of tax credits I got and also reduce my housing beinifit.

so really worked out I would be worse off. so didnt bother.. other than what the rest have said theres nothing really Sad
going to citezen advice now tomo to see if missinag any thing as struggling and no jobs.

Dont want to be someone sitting on benifits, but had to leave work due to hours and child care Sad and thought ah il get a part time job no probs.. who wrong was I!!! and now falling preg again theres no way anyone will take me on Sad

hope you get it sorted hun x

MichelleHx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:58 pm 
Post subject:
I don't get income support cause my oh works 40hrs a week, and i haven't bothered applying for jsa as i didn't think it was worth it.

I'm pretty much in the same situation as Emma, i had to leave cause bad hrs and cost of childcare and thought i'd get a part time job no problem but no. Now it seems i would be better off just getting tax credits and housing benefit. Altho, i don't want it to be this way!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Finances All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular