Maternity worries :-(

sammyantha
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:27 pm 
Post subject: Maternity worries :-(
I'm gettin married beginning of August and we are considering starting to ttc just before/just after. I'm a teacher and don't think maternity pay is fab unfortunately. I worry all the time about my finances I really do. I think it's something like 4 weeks full pay, 6 weeks 90%, 12 weeks half pay and rest SMP. I'm assuming I would also get SMP alongside 90% and half pay not sure though?

If we decide to start ttc just before/just after wedding I's shoot myself in the foot with regards to getting the following summer full pay (6 weeks hols) it would be classed as my maternity leave unfort. I don't think I could wait any longer to ttc though and I suppose nothing can be planned for either.

Arggh sorry ladies, I just wanted a moan. I have 2 friends who had babies last summer and who have managed ok. We bought a house in Sept and have financial committments as it is so worries me more lol.

Any teachers out there who have managed? Anybody out there in a similar situation?

Thanks ladies, sorry to moan xx

kerah1
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:36 pm 
Post subject:
hi bride2b and congratulations on the wedding!!! Are you all excited? i got married last July and 6 months before I was hysterical, i was so happy and so stressed at the same time Laughing
I'm not a teacher so i dont think i'll be much help but didnt want to read and run!
I'm entitled to 8 weeks full pay, 4 weeks 90% and then its 12 weeks half pay and SMP, but i guess it'll be different for everybody... I know what you mean about worrying about money but it's not everything in life and as long as you really want a baby and can live comfortably then go for it... i'd rather not take any holidays for 10 years and have a baby than no baby... x
Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:41 pm 
Post subject:
Hi hun
I was on slightly less than you re my employers maternity scheme. I work for a local college and they % pay they gave me didnt include SMT I think as they were paying more (not quite sure how that works so I could be wrong, it might be they top it up to the 90% alongside the SMT) and then after there maternity scheme ended I just got SMT (until I go back) which is about 120 a week mark, we are coping at the moment but being very careful. Dont forget there are a few more incomings like child benefits etc.

xx

sammyantha
Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:41 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for your reply hun. I joined this site a while ago even though I'm not ttc yet. I find it really useful and my friend used it alot throughout her time ttc and her pregnancy so thought I'd give it a shot.

Yeah I'm excited about wedding but yes stressed at same time. Will be happy when it's here lol.

Thanks again and you're right, if I really want a baby it's best to do it rather than regret it xxx

xMandyx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:52 pm 
Post subject:
it's always hard when you have a baby but you do manage, I'm not a teacher but when I had my little girl I only got 6 weeks at 90% then 33 weeks on SMP, it was tough but we cut back and budgeted. You'll get child benefit and maybe tax credits too which help. I would sit down and work out your figures and see if you can manage it.

As far as holidays are concerned, you still acrrue normal holidays whilst on maternity leave

Amandaplus2
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:54 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya, sounds like a good deal u will get from work as a lot of ladies get no where near that. I get 12 wks full pay then the rest smp. You dont get pay and smp its one or the other x

ClaireH77
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:05 pm 
Post subject:
I've known people who are teachers and they went back to work for the last week of term as their mat pay went down to statutary or unpaid during their hols, this ment they ended up getting full pay for the 6 weeks!
Don't worry about how you'll cope as you will as you have to! start saving as soon as you can after the wedding and you'll be surprised at what you can save when you don't drink, go out and stop buying loads of clothes!!!
claire x
Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:07 pm 
Post subject:
AmandaJaneandH wrote:
Hiya, sounds like a good deal u will get from work as a lot of ladies get no where near that. I get 12 wks full pay then the rest smp. You dont get pay and smp its one or the other x

I get both! I work for the NHS and i got 6 weeks full pay, then 18 weeks half pay and SMP (it shows them separate on my pay slip) then 3 months SMP.
claire x
Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:15 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks hun. That's what I plan to do. Gona start saving as much as poss in August and see what happens. It's very exciting thinking about it though! x

sammyantha
Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:17 pm 
Post subject:
ps - Claire I think thats what I get, I mean when I get 12weeks half pay I'm sure HR said we were entitled to SMP as well. I'm gona email them in the next couple of weeks just to check though x

nutnut
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:02 pm 
Post subject:
Hello! Ik. Lucky in some respects, I am getting full pay whilst I am off but in return I work from home. Whilst I do not have the worry of money, I often wish I never agreed to doing work from home and would settle for smp as I feel like I can't go out and do anything with my daughter as I have work to do. I haven't set a date to reiurn to work but I am not planning to until mid August. I worry that when the weather picks up I will not be able to go out an enjoy it with my daughter as much as I would like to. I can't tell you how much I regret saying I will work, when I have my next one I will be taking 9 months off and doing no work. We;ll just have to survive on what we get.

Good luck with ttc and congrats on your wedding x

tiggerloveshugsisback
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:25 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Bride2b

Congrats on your impending big day hope your plans are going well. I know what you mean regarding worries about finances. I am exactly the same hun, but I think it is a case of cutting your cloth to fit. You just amend your budget accordingly.

I have been off work alot with ill health in the last year and a half so can share in your money worries. Enjoy planning your big day hun and good luck when u start ttc.x

sammyantha
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:23 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks hun. It's completely pants isn't it. I know I want a family so not going to hold back and just try my best to save what I can. I have friends who have managed to go back to work full time and have fab kiddiwinkles so if I have to do that I will just have to bite the bullet. Not gona think too far ahead yet tho!

xxxx

readytobeamummy
Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:18 pm 
Post subject:
Heya,

I'm a teacher and it's actually worked out quite well for me because I'm due 4th Jan which means I can start maternity leave after the xmas hols, on the day I am due and take maternity leave until the summer hols then officially return to work on the first day of the summer hols. I'll get paid a full wage throughout the summer hols that way.

It might depend on your county but I work for Lancashire and I get 4 wks full pay, 2 wks at 90%, 12 wks at 50% plus SMP then just SMP.

Just go onto your county council's website and you should be able to download a maternity pay information pack.

Hope that helps. x x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Finances All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular