One of my boys is ill :(

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:09 am 
Post subject: One of my boys is ill :(
Had a major shock a couple of days ago. Was at the hospital on Saturday and my boys were both doing brilliant. Both put up to 2 hourly feeds and looked happy and healthy. Phoned the hospital at 11pm that night and was told they were both fine and happy. Then got a phone call at 6am from the doctor saying my little Liam took a bad turn and had been taken back into ICU with an infection which they think is in his bowel. He was put on a ventilator, morphine and 3 types of antibiotics.
I just went to pieces. I was told there was no need to hurry to hospital as he was stable so tried to get a bit more sleep (not that I did very well with that) and then got up to the unit at 10.30am. The doctors told us that they didnt know where the infection was coming from and that they suspected he has a condition called NEC which is serious and could lead to surgery if it were to get any worse although they hoped that they had caught it early enough for it to clear up without anymore problems. Later that day the doctor told us that results from his blood tests showed that he has a bug in his blood but this could still be coming from an infection in his bowel. I spent the day going between Craig in one room and Liam in the other and every time I saw Liam, I just burst into tears. He looked so pale and fragile and with so many wires and the ventilator, things looked very bad.

Yesterday when I went back up, he was off the ventilator and the morphine and they said he was doing much better although things could still go either way. He is off all feeds for at least 5 days and on the antibiotics for at least a week. He is still very pale looking and they have said they may need to give him a small blood transfusion but they are holding back on that for now.

Does anyone else have experience with NEC and what was the outcome for you? This has just made me realise how easy it is for these big setbacks to happen. My poor Liam will now have to start back at the beginning and I am so so worried something similar could happen to Craig.

NicolaOasis
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:09 pm 
Post subject:
Sorry i dont have any experience with NEC but i just wanted to pass on my good wishes for litte Liam. Its good that he's off the ventilator, he'll be back with his brother in no time

xx
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:57 pm 
Post subject:
im sorry i have no experience here but james had lots of infections and it was horrible seeing him so fragile.

he's now 8 weeks old and is bloomin huge! about 11lb!!

things pick up!

xx
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:00 pm 
Post subject:
I hope your little boy recovers quickly, and both boys are able to come home to you soon x
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:58 pm 
Post subject:
Oh Jenna, how awful and worrying for you.

He sounds like he is on the mend. My son also got an infection, and ended back on CPAP after he had stopped breathing. It is common for SCB to get infections as they are so small and their immune systems are not fully developed.

I hope you are happier now. Take each day as it comes.

Julie x

Our baby Eleanor lost 6 Apr 10
jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:39 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for your messages ladies. They seem to think he is on the mend but have warned me to take things a day at a time at this point. xx

LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:50 pm 
Post subject:
sorry to hear bout liam, glad things r looking up.

im afraid these prem babies are more at risk to infections. but its a gd sign hes off the ventilator:)

xxrosemariexx
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:50 pm 
Post subject: Re: One of my boys is ill :(
hi jennaxhx

my baby boy had NEC he was born on the 18th nov 08 and got NEC on the 9th dec 08, everytime we went upto the hosp their was always docs around him and it was so hard as the day he got NEC we where told he had only 20% chance and when we where sittin at his incubater their was blood coming out of his mouth, it was so upsetting for us both,i just felt we where gettin tortured, he sadly past away on the 15th dec 08, he did have his good days and bad days but NEC got the better ov him
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:40 pm 
Post subject:
hows he doin now jenna?

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:44 pm 
Post subject:
He has made a full recovery now thank god! He's in a cot now, off his saturation monitor and getting introduced to suck feeds. I can see him being home within two weeks Very Happy xx

LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:44 am 
Post subject:
thats such gd news:) bet u r so relived.

so u think they will both be home in 2 weeks time then?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Premature Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular