Anyone got any advice?

heroes
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:37 am 
Post subject: Anyone got any advice?
Hi ladies, Im usually on another thread but this is the place I need some advice from, My Son is 14 and is terribly underweight, I have been to the docs with him but they just say he's fine. I feed him a healthy diet as best as I can but he just cant gain the weight. He doesnt play sports and he isnt energetic due to the fact he has no energy. He isnt unwell apart from being really skinny, so I dont know where to go from here, At the moment I have been trying to get information from the net but unfortunately Id rather talk to real people with real lives. If anyone has any suggestions Id be really grateful. Many thanks Karen xx
Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:44 am 
Post subject:
Hi
My daughter was a bit like that for a few years. The threat of takin her to the docs and what might happen if she didn't start eating was enough to get her to at least eat a dinner (full one that is).

I got the doctor to agree to weigh her weekly to keep up the you need to eat mantra.

I showed her pics of seriously skinny kids. She didn't like it. Sounds extreme i know but it gave her a fright.

Don't know if it helps.

Hope you get it sorted and everyones fine.
Dee
x

toxicmummy
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:51 am 
Post subject:
Have they checked his thyroid?.....just a thought - if it's overactive it could explain his difficulties.
Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:42 pm 
Post subject:
High protein drinks like Ensure or boost as well as adding alot of carbs into his diet. But get him checked over for diabetes...take him in for a urine test to see what his glucose levels are. When Maddy became diabetic..she was starting to get super skinny as well. Also the thryoid as another lady mentioned..it can cause weight loss and lethargy too. I hope you find some answers hun. xxx

RorosMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:57 pm 
Post subject:
If he's eating as far as you can tell he might have a really high metabolism. I had a bmi of less than 15 when I was younger and I ate normally and was reasonably active. The only time I managed to gain a decent amount of weight was in america when I was skiing and eating crazy amounts of calories... You might find that he won't gain weight if he doesn't exercise. My body didn't bulk up until I became really active.
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:34 am 
Post subject:
Thankyou for the replies ladies, I have taken him to the docs but the doc said I was being over protective, he does eat quite well but just doesnt gain the weight, I worked out his bmi yesterday and it was 15.82, Im nipping to the shops today to see if I can get any of the high protein drinks like you say, hopefully that will work, I also worked out his calorie intake yesterday and it was 1626 calories which isnt good I dont think, Oh well I shall keep trying, once again thankyou for the replies you are all an invaluable source of advice Karen xxx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular