Sleeping routines!

TLW
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:25 pm 
Post subject: Sleeping routines!
Me and my partner have been arguing over MY sleep patterns!
i just want this confirmed.
My sleep pattern is that i go to bed about 12 at night (give or take an hour),and wake up whenever i want as im on maternity, this is usually around 11ish. when i do go to bed sometimes baby kicks sometimes doesnt.
my partner reckons my sleep patterns are effecting the baby for some reason, and that i should get in a proper sleep routine for when baby comes aswell.
my point is that whatever sleep pattern i have is going to be disturbed by baby, and that when baby is asleep i should sleep if im tired, he reckons i shouldnt sleep during day i should be looking after baby.this is sooo annoying!please reply by baby is due in a week.
Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:58 am 
Post subject:
I am 12 weeks pregnant with my first, so don't have first hand experience of a new-born, but I would have to agree with you. You can't rely on having sleep at night when it comes along, and if the baby is asleep during the day, then what exactly is he expecting you to do to 'look after' it during that time? Every bit of advice I've ever heard is to sleep when baby does, otherwise you might not get the sleep you need. I can't imagine your current sleep pattern is affecting the baby at the moment.

As I say, i'm no expert and am willing to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I would go with your instincts and sleep when you need to, As long as you can hear the baby if it wakes when it is born, there is no problem with you sleeping when it does!

Good luck with everything, let us know how things go.

Love LD
mrswolfbane
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:39 am 
Post subject:
ive had new borns and i wud say sleep when u can but try not to sleep to much as that can lead to a bad sleep pattern later on.
tigrrboxer
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:57 pm 
Post subject:
A week! Congratulations!! You must be so excited. - and you DON'T need nagging from anybody about your sleeping patterns - I reckon you need all the sleep you can get now, as you won't be sleeping much for a loooong time pretty soon.

As for your sleeping patterns affecting your unborn baby, as far as I know only severe sleep deprivation could harm the baby, as you will be constantly extra-tired and your immune system will be low.

I expect your partner is just very very anxious and increasingly proprietorial about "his" baby, and feeling a bit helpless because there's nothing much he feels he can do over the last few days.

One of my friends (we call her Dormouse) had the rare ability of sleeping 23 hours a day; after her baby was born it was as if her hormones disonnnected her sleeping wires and I don't think any of us ever saw her even dozing again for months.

Trust in your hormones and your body! And good luck..
booter
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:59 pm 
Post subject:
Hi. Your sleeping routine really has no affect on your unborn baby. He/she will have developed his own sleeping and waking pattern long ago. It is proven that the baby is generally more active when you are resting or asleep anyway. You should definately be napping in the afternoon if your body is telling you to. Don't forget, your body is having to work up to 70% harder than usual to accomodate for your baby.
All the best for the birth. You will have plenty of people telling you what you should and shouldn't be doing, this is your time as mum and mum always knows best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular