working tax credit

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:41 pm 
Post subject: working tax credit
i am hoping someone will be able to give me advice...

i went on the gov web site where you answer their questions with your info and they tell you what benefits you can get... when i return to work and my oh goes parttime we will have a joint income of about 40k - according to the web we are not entitled to anything (other than the child benefit).

is this right? or am i being greedy? what are everyone else's experiences?

thanks in advance

xx
EmVar
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:31 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya,

We bring in about 45K between us before tax when I'm on full pay, and it said we would get something, not much but something - so one of us has done something wrong! I've applied anyway and waiting to hear.

You might as well apply I think. It's confusing because the form is based on your income over the last financial year for some reason, so I don't know how they allow for you being on mat pay etc. I figure I'll probably have to do it again next month when we've had new P60s as well?

God knows why they can't just work it all out automatically from your NI number and the contributions you already make!

xx Em
MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:45 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks - I think it is me that has done it wrong because my sister gets some on the same income, but I thought maybe there was something about her situation that meant she could get it and I couldn't.

How do you apply? (I really am dense - sorry!). I have had my child benefit approved and just waiting for details to come through the post - is there something on there that is linked to claiming working tax credit, or is there a phone number I call?

xx
EmVar
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:49 pm 
Post subject:
My husband phoned and they sent the application form out. Don't know where he got the number though, from the website most likely. Maybe there was a number in the pack for claiming child benefit.
shootingstars
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:51 pm 
Post subject:
I am not sure about the max amount you can earn before they will not allow tax credits, i know though that when i lived with my Ex we used to get working tax credit, with him working on an approx salary of 25k, per annum, and we only got a top up of 70 per month,
As it stands at the moment as my Oh works part-time we only get CTC and we are not entitled to WTC , or any other help other than child-benefit, so there might be an upper limit as well as a lower limit

Have you been on the tax credit calculator?? through the inland revenue??

StaceyRD
Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:52 pm 
Post subject:
I found the number to get the tax credit pack in the Child benefit information form. The lady on the phone basically took a few details like estimated income and told us if/how much we could receive before she sent the form out to us.
You've reminded me to fill it in, actually! Though that's going to be a nuisance if you need P60's...
x

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:23 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you - when they send my CTC confirmation info through I will then start on the WTC.

I wonder if there are any hard fast rules to claiming WTC... I thought if one (or both) of you worked - even part time - you could claim. I can kind of understand that the more you earn the less you get, but I like to get money back from all the taxes I have paid over the years Laughing Laughing

xx
amesy
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:08 pm 
Post subject:
Hello,

i spoke the child tax credit office the other day and they advised that people with a joint earning between 25k and 50k will only be entitle to approx 20 per week.

Hope this helps, i would definately apply and see what you are entitle to Very Happy

xx
Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:29 pm 
Post subject:
As ar as I was aware you are entitled to something aslong as in the first year your joint income does not exceed 64K and 60k after the first year

If it helps our joint income for last year was 58K and I spoke to them on the phone for the application pack and she gave me a estimate of 14 a week have sent the form off and just wating to hear back

nutnut
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:33 am 
Post subject:
We have a joint income of 57K and were estimated to get 21/week. It turns out we're only entitled to 11/week. You will definitely be entitled to something even if it's not a lot....every penny helps!!

GemGemz85
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:55 pm 
Post subject:
I know that if you are under 25 then your not eligible for workig tax credit. Im 24 (25 in april...will have to update them in new financial year!) so dont think I will be eligible yet. Sent my forms off last week, so waiting to hear back still! x

Mandbaby
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:04 pm 
Post subject:
I'm considering giving up my job after my maternity leave ends. My OH earns about 41k. Will we be able to get anything if only he works? x

AngelDelight
Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 pm 
Post subject:
We have just had our chq through from the inland revenue. We earn about 40k between us and are only entilted to CTC which is 78 a month we get zero for WTC

The best website I used was entiltedto.com thisxwas a lot more straight fwd to use than the gov one. X

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:41 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks everyone - sounds like everyone seems to be told something different - but its definitely worth a shot. I will try the suggested websites as well as phoning them.

Every penny really helps now (especially as Evie is 5 weeks old and her daddy has already bought her first birthday present - an electric play tractor Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ).
Hope you all manage to get every penny you can get from WTC too

xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Finances All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular