Hair removing cream

Amylou88
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:20 am 
Post subject: Hair removing cream
Bit of a yucky question but is it ok to use hair removing creams like Veet during pregnancy? I cant shave as it gives me a rash and theres no way i'm waxing! I've put off de-fuzzing myself for nearly 7 weeks now and i'm starting to look like a yeti but i'm a bit worried if there are toxins of anything dodgy in it which could harm my baby! If anyone knows or had this same fear then please let me know! Thanku!

AliBobble
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:20 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Amylou,

Usually products will say in the small print not to use if pregnant or breastfeeding, and usually they say this rather than say nothing if there is any remote doubt or possibility of harm. If Veet says nothing then it should be ok, but if in doubt check with your MW Smile

I am one day ahead of you (11+6) and wondered if you were showing yet? My jeans have been tight around my hips for about 3 weeks & have had to be pushed well down low at the front so my belts don't dig in, and I'm already out of one of my pencil work skirts with another skirt on the way out probably by the end of next week - I'm rock hard & protrusing down there already! Are you?

x
NoddysWorld
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:49 pm 
Post subject:
Ah I can answer this, you cannot use hair removal creams as they contain chemicals that can cross the placenta and harm baba's. I asked my MW. So please don't. x
Amylou88
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:51 pm 
Post subject:
ok icebabe thanx! I was sure that i heard somewhere that its not a good idea and apparently some makeup can be harmful!

I'm actually 12 weeks 2day but when i put my due date into lilipie it came out as being 2 days behind for some reason! I''m quite small and normally a size 8 and weigh 8 st 7 but now i'm nearly a size 12 and weigh 9 st 7! But its not fat my stomach is harder and seems to be moving up and out if u kno what i mean!

My but and boobs are def bigger tho! And coz i'm normally quite small everyones noticing it and telling me how fat i'm getting which is nice(!) I think its mainly water retention at this stage (plus constipation/bloating i dunno if you're getting that?) my friend was pregnant and got really big at 10 weeks then this went down at 12 weeks a bit as she stopped retaining so much water, and then at 16 weeks she was suddenly big again! Ahh the joys of pregnancy!

xx

AliBobble
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:16 pm 
Post subject:
Congrats at getting to the 12 week marker! Must be a bit of a huge relief as I think it's such a worrying time, no matter how much you pretend it's not. I get there in 2 days. Glad to hear it's not just me growing already too! My boobs were heavy straight away so I went to M&S at 7 weeks to be measured for non-wired bras, and I'd gone up a cup size! It was a bit annoying as I'd only been in there a couple of months before falling preggers to be fitted for lots of lovely new (costly) lingerie, which is all now too small to wear unless I want the "Spilling over the top" look Sad

Don't think my bum has grown but my belly is starting to raise eyebrows for sure. It's defo quite an exciting & secretive stage Smile

When are you going to tell people, or have you already?

x
kxxx
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:27 pm 
Post subject:
i use it al the time and on the packet it doesnt say do not use when pregnant ..im sure if it was dangerous they would have put tht on ther
fifitrixibelle
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:23 pm 
Post subject:
OMG i have used it quite a few times during this pregnancy, had no idea it wasnt recommended, cant shave any more coz its too difficult and time consuming and very tiring, really didnt no it was harmful, do u think ive done any damage??

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:06 pm 
Post subject:
Hi ladies, i googled this and found this info..........

Is it safe to use hair removal creams when pregnant?

Many women choose to remove unwanted hair for cosmetic and social reasons. Hair growth may increase for some women in pregnancy and become a source of embarrassment or annoyance. You may find that during pregnancy you get more hair under your arms, in the pubic area, on your legs, your tummy and possibly on your face.

Hair removal creams are known as depilatory agents. The chemicals contained in the creams (gels, lotions, aerosols) work on the keratin content of the hair, causing the hair to break and separate from the skin. It appears that the use of hair removal cream has not been formally studied on pregnant women.

I would advise that if you do choose to use hair removal creams in pregnancy:

• always read the manufacturers' instructions on the packet very carefully first

• do not use them on broken skin or on your face

• always do a patch test on a small area of skin before you use them, as your skin can become more sensitive than usual in pregnancy.

I also found this on another website.................

Is Depilatory safe to use during pregnancy?

In short, the safety of a depilatory during pregnancy has not been established. As depilatories contain strong chemicals which the body can absorb through the skin and which can subsequently affect the whole bodily system, some doctors advise avoiding depilatory use during pregnancy and while nursing. Never use a depilatory where there are cuts or abrasions on the skin or when skin is sensitive from sunburn.

Is NAIR® safe to use during pregnancy?

Yes, NAIR® is a cosmetic product for the removal of topical hair and can be safely used by pregnant women. If you have exceptionally sensitive skin or other skin maladies you should first consult a physician. NAIR® should also be used as directed to ensure optimum efficacy and comfort of use.

Whilst serching i found there were many different views but the majority seem to say it is safe... but if you are concerned, i'd discuss with ya midwife Laughing
Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:59 am 
Post subject:
If you get this months pregnancy & birth magazine it will actully tell you that you can't use it. And advise's to use a razor as waxing may cause your skin to be more sensative when your pregnant. x
Marmalade
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:33 am 
Post subject:
I'm 31weeks and have mastered the art of shaving whilst looking into a mirror - really NOT a pretty sight but a word of warning if you do happen to nick yourself it's bleeds like you would never believe Laughing I'm going for a wax in a couple of weeks to see me through the last stage and birth. You can be a little more sensitive but it depends on how your skin has been throughout your pregnancy
Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:54 am 
Post subject:
I will continue with waxing until my skin gets sensertive, went for my first maternity bra today! Not very flattering from m&s x
wwlxs13
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:33 pm 
Post subject:
Think you can get a removal cream called NADS from memory its non chemical so would be better Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular