breast vs bottle ur thoughts

mrswolfbane
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:27 pm 
Post subject: breast vs bottle ur thoughts
i bottle fed my son and tried to breast feed my daughter she ended up on bottle.

now i think which ever is the best for u is the best thing to do.
i was under so much pressure to breast feed even tho it wud make me cry and i had no support at all.

theres also a good point of the amount of ppl who smoke and drink and breast feed that cant be better than bottle formulea.also all these women that use lots of chemicals and products on themselves they all get absorbed into the body and build up.

my sister breast fed 2 of hers and they have low immune systems mine are very rarely ill.
i think its fine to bottle feed if thats what ur comfy with i genuinly dont like the pressure health professionals are putting on mums to do something they may not want to do.

what do u think?
HannahM
AskBaby Team
AskBaby Team
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:05 pm 
Post subject:
Completely agree - breast feeding is only best for baby if it's best for Mum too

Han x
ladymystikal
Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:53 am 
Post subject:
i agree. i dont like the pressure thats put on from both health professional and the preganacy books.its a very personal decision. me personally..i think i will breastfeed for the first month, but then switch to bottle.
puss2
Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:34 pm 
Post subject: damned if you do.....
im breast AND bottle feeding my 7 week old baby and i found that i`m under so much pressure to completely breast feed. my baby wasn`t latching on properly, and the midwife just said its because i`m using bottles and said to cut them out.easier said than done, considering he screamed all night long. he`s a hungry baby and my breast milk just doesn`t do it for him. in the end, at5 in the morning, i caved i and gave him a bottle. its all good and well that health proffessionals say give no bottles breast feed often, etc etc but if baby wants bottle then thats what he shal have.
another thing that bugs me is that even with al the pressure to breast feed, if i breast feed, i get tuts and tsks from other (non child) people. it seems to me.... your damned if you do, damned if you don`t.
mrswolfbane
Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:33 pm 
Post subject:
i totally agree with u on that.

i gave in and gave my girl bottles after breast was jst to demanding and painful.and shes a healthy clever 3 yr old no side effects
ladymystikal
Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:37 am 
Post subject:
there we go. i think the media would have everyone believe that if we didnt breastfeed our babies will be less able to manage things, less intelligent etc. did anyone read that disgusting article in the daily mail i think where breast fed babies are found to be more intelligent?! where do they dig this up from?? talk about propaganda on a new level
Janem
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:58 pm 
Post subject:
completey agree with all of you. I had my first 2 years ago and it is only looking back I realise how much brainwashing goes on. I remember trying to be fairly open minded and deciding that I'd give it a go before the event but on reflection I can only remember being told about all the really good things about breast with no mention about the benefits of bottle - of which i consider many. similarly, about pain relief options in childbirth - on reflection I think there was a deliberate steer to NOT choose epidural. again, a massive pressure to have a NATURAL birth. If you break your leg (which incidentally could be considered less painful!!) there's not many people that would refuse pain relief or feel they were letting themselves down if they did go for it. don't know what you think?!
mrswolfbane
Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:21 pm 
Post subject:
yeh they do try to limit ur pain relief to gas and air and try to stay away from epidurals bcuz of how much they cost to the hospital and oher complications.

see now i have a genuine problem with labour all mine ive assciotated the pain with the baby and its not help post natal depression i had.so this time i dont want to feel anything as i dont want to feel the same with this baby as i did with my other 2.
also i dont want to be shoved out the hospital within hours like my first one becuase i just didnt cope i need sometime to adjust and to deal with my feelings and things and i dont think thats considered in hospitals now they jst want u in and out to hell with u really
ladymystikal
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:52 am 
Post subject:
ha! id like to see them try and deny me. one thing ive always said is "if i cant have a c-section then im having an epidural!"
talk about presurring mums into doing what they want. if it isnt proper support for mum on bottle/breast feeding then its pain relief.
Rosalyn
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:44 am 
Post subject: Breast V Bottle
I think it really depends on what suits the mum really. If the mum is uncomfortable and not happy breastfeeding the the baby will sense this and not be happy either.
Im pregnant with my first baby and going through thoughts on whether to breast feed or bottle feed. Is it possible to bottle feed but breast feed maybe before putting them to bed at night?
Which option is also better to keep your breast shape to the shape they were before you got pregnant?
Charlplusbabies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:57 pm 
Post subject:
there is no way that i could ever breastfeed. the thought does not appeal to me what so ever. i know the benefits of breastmilk - and as a student midiwfe aim to promote it, but i did not een try to breastfeed my 1st and will not try to breastfeed my second or third.
i cant describe it but theres just no way i could let a baby feed off me.
i fed my son on cow and gate and he is never ill. ever. yet myaunties hildren were breastfed and they always have sickness bugs and colds - and their 12 and 8!

ive seen some women in absolute agony trying and trying to feed and i think its so sad. there is alt of pressure to breastfeed and i think its not right. maternity care is supposed to be about a womas wants and choice and that includes feeding.

it was 5 years ago since my son was born, but when i was in hospital the midwives moaned if i wanted to heat a bottle, and wheni left to go home, they didnt even tell me how to make up the bottles - thank god i had my mum
dawnb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:19 pm 
Post subject:
i tried to breast feed my daughter when she was born because of the pressure from the midwives but i didnt carry on with it as i didnt like it. i dont have any intentions of breast feeding this one but i do remain open minded... my daughter is a happy healthy 11 yr old and i think as long s mum is happy, baby will be happy.
dawn x
asfletcher
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:49 pm 
Post subject:
with my first daughter i tried to breastfeed but she wouldnt latch on but during the time in hospital a midwife was around every hour to see if i was ok! with my second i said i wanted to bottle feed and from the time i went on the ward (1am) til 10am in the morning NO ONE checked on me. I had to ask if i could feed my baby and where the milk was!! plus ask if i could have a bath!! they just didnt care. the other woman on my ward who were breastfeeding had visits through the night as i heard them.

i definately think there is far too much pressure on breastfeeding!
Marien
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:28 pm 
Post subject: Breast V Bottle
Couldn't agree more! I think whatever is best for you is going to be best for Baby. If you're stressed and tired all the time your milk isn't going to satisfy your baby (this happened with my sister-in-law). Who cares what anyone else thinks anyway? As long as you're happy and baby too that's all that matters.

As far as bottle-milk limiting intelligence I say RUBBISH! I was bottle-fed and I have an IQ of 154. Not that that means anything but I believe intelligence is more likely to be a genetic trait. And intelligence doesn't mean your child will be happy, I was bullied mercilessly because I was clever, so it hasn't done much for me! When my baby is born I'll do what I think is best for her/him (and for me) and as long as she/he is happy and healthy I don't care what anyone says. All the best! xx
cardea
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:14 am 
Post subject: Bottle for me !
I am 35 weeks pregnant with my first. Before finding out i was pregnant, i was suffering from depression and severe anxiety attacks. I have decided early on not to breast feed after doing research on the pros and cons of both bottle and breat feeding. I have decided that i do not want to put any added physical or emotional pressure on myself to do something for which the baby to totally reliant on me for. There is far too much pressure on new mums to breastfeed - my midwife asked me my intentions at 8WEEKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd only some to terms with the fact that i was pregnant ! I have put in writting in my birth plan that the baby is being bottlefed, that it is a personal decision and i do not want anyone trying to encourage me to breastfeed after i have given birth or to question my decision. WHAT IS BEST FOR BABY IS NOT ALWAYS WHAT IS RIGHT FOR MUM. We are being told to go with our instincts and my instincts are telling me that this is the right choice for ME. There is far to much pressure on new mums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Pregnancy Problems All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular