Tying shoelaces??

simmysim
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:42 pm 
Post subject: Tying shoelaces??
Should me 8yo be able to tie his own shoes by now - in thinkin he should!!
i am sooo fed up wid having to re-tie em every 2 seconds, i have sat for over an hour trying to teach him on more than one occassion and i end up feelin myself gettin worked up coz he jus not gettin it!
i have even resorted today to leaving him with his shoe and tellin him he is not allowed out until he can do it, after 30mins he still haddnt done it - i dont get y he cannot do it!!
he is a bright boy, so i do not understand y he cannot grasp it - is it laziness?
anyone know of any tips to teach him?
Many thanx xXx
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:49 pm 
Post subject:
Sorry I'm no help mine's the same and he's 9 in March Rolling Eyes I think he can do but he's too lazy so he justs tucks them in his shoes Rolling Eyes ,nothings worked with mine so if you get any good tips, pass them on please , I have visions of him being 35 and married with kids and his laces still trailing after him Rolling Eyes Laughing
simmysim
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:21 pm 
Post subject:
lol thanx nat - very helpful Laughing Laughing Laughing
but it is good to kno tha mine isnt the only 8yo that cannot do it, dnt feel so bad now lol xxx
tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:52 pm 
Post subject:
I know when I went to infants school, we had a list of things to be able to do before we were allowed to attend Surprised

1. KNow when to use toilet
2. Tie shoelaces
3. Be able to get undressed in 5 mins (and dressed in 5 mins)
4. Count to 50
5. Write our own names
6. Know our own address and telephone number

Mind you I suspect that these days the pc brigade would have something to say about that lmao. How about doing the rhyme thingee, thats how how learnt and its easy to remember:-

Instructions:-

1. Recite the rhyme: "Bunny ears, bunny ears, playing by a tree. Criss-crossed the tree, trying to catch me. Bunny ears, Bunny ears, jumped into the hole, popped out the other side beautiful and bold."

2. Repeat the rhyme while demonstrating the movements that correspond with each phrase. Hold one lace in each hand and cross them to form an "X." Hold both laces in one hand. With your free hand, bring one lace under the other and pull tightly on both laces. This is the "tree."

3. Take each lace and form a large loop. Hold one loop in each hand. These are the "bunny ears." Indicate each loop as you say, "Bunny ears, bunny ears, playing by a tree."

4. Say "Criss-crossed the tree," and make an "X" with the ears. Continue on with, "trying to catch me."

5. Say "Bunny ears, bunny ears jumped into the hole," and push one of the bunny ears into the hole you created at the bottom of the center of the laces when you crossed them.

6. Finish the rhyme with "Popped out of the other side beautiful and bold," and grab the loop as it's coming through the hole. Pull both bunny ears tightly, tying the shoe.

7. Give the child a shoe and repeat the rhyme, with the actions, having him follow your movements. Repeat until he seems comfortable with it.

Other options include:-

Use different colored shoe laces so that you can cue the child on which side they should be working with

Sit the children down and tie a large rope around their leg, then the learning process of tying shoes is done on a large scale. Once they have the movements down, they easily switch to a shoe lace. This can be taken in the car for practice on trips in addition to practcing at home. Children find it hard sometimes to be dextrous. This option I used to use with Down Syndrome Children and they found it much much easier.

ggmarch
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:46 pm 
Post subject:
My 9 year old can't do his, although only shoes he has them on are football boots. My 6 year old recently ended up with trainers with laces in, we have sat lots of times trying to do them, but she just can't get it. I remember when I worked in neurological rehab lots of the patients had difficulty doing their laces and they got special laces that were like really tightly wound telephone cords, then they just had to loop one through the other. Wonder if you can still get them?
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:57 pm 
Post subject:
never heard that before tracewhy! i like it Smile

NoddysWorld
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:06 pm 
Post subject:
You can get these wooden shoe things in Early Learning Centre with laces, it comes in a shape of a shoe. Perhaps, that might help him?!
ggmarch
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:26 pm 
Post subject:
Look what I found
http://www.shoelaceplace.co.uk/Index.aspx?Category=ShoeLaces by type&SubCategory=Coiler / No Tie Laces&ShowProducts=true
Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:30 am 
Post subject:
My daughter is nearly 8 and she cant tie her own laces either. We've spent ages teaching her but when she does manage to tie them they just look like a tangled knot lol. It'll come eventually.
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:15 pm 
Post subject:
my DD is 5 and she cant do hers my DH was getting worried as he thinks she should be able to, i must show his this post Laughing most 8 and 9 year olds i know cant tie thier laces either, i cant remember what age i was when i learned to do mine Confused

i dont even know an average age either

xx
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:07 pm 
Post subject:
My son is 8 and he cant tie his.
Ive always avoided it by buying velcro fastening shoes but this weekend I got him his 1st pair of lace ups.
He got so annoyed with them yesterday that I have redone the laces so that they are tucked inside.

Easy cop out!!!!!!
Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:44 pm 
Post subject:
My son is 10 and can only just about do them, but even then they are done so loosely they dont stay done up at all . He had real trouble grasping it, I think the fact all his shoes and trainer have velcro hasnt helped.
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:26 pm 
Post subject:
My 7 year old cracked them, last week and now is tying shoe laces for every one. My 9 year old still has yet to show any interest.
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:18 pm 
Post subject:
i dont think i cud do mine till i was about 10.

Angelcake71
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:44 pm 
Post subject:
my son is 11.. and because he has always had velcro trainers or shoes.. it took him a while to learn how to do it..
Angel Baby due 21/6/2012 (m/c)
All 3 much loved and wanted xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Five Years plus All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular