should i have an episiotomy??

Sakura
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:55 pm 
Post subject: should i have an episiotomy??
hiya people,

when it comes to episiotomies, does anyone know whether you have to ask for one in advance as part of your birth plan or can they do it as you're in labour and the midwifes suddenly realise you need one??

just that i had my second scan (having another baby boy so i'm out-numbered 3-1 and have a future of picking up 3 lots of dirty boxers n socks hehehe) and scan revealed a monstrously proportioned baby who they think is likely to tip the scales at 10 / 11lbs. He already has head circumference of 19.6cm so by 40wks should be about 39cm but i went 42+ weeks with my 1st so the head could be even bigger than that!!!!

just v v worried that baby will tear my insides out and have heard mixed messages about whether it's better to tear naturally or have an episiotomy, and can't get hold of midwife coz she never gave me a phone number, surgery hasn't got her number either, and am not due to see her again until 28 weeks (im 23 + 2 now).

should i have an episiotomy? i had 2nd degree para-urethral tears with 1st and am worried that they will re-open. any advice will be greatly received!!!!!!!
lauree
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:59 pm 
Post subject:
i had one. i had no choice the midwife will decide if you need one. just mention it when your in labour. i would think its much better to have one then to tear!
moodles
Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:11 pm 
Post subject:
Hi i had one too. It was very sore afterwards and i have been told tears heal better/quicker???
cardea
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:01 am 
Post subject: tearing
Hello, Your midwife will assess how things are going down there - if she thinks you are going to tear badly she will advise an episiotomy as this will control the amount of damamge that will be done to your vaginal and anal area. Small tears can heal quite well on their own, but bad tears will need alot more help. If you think you are going to tear very badly then i would trust your midwife's instincts at the time to make the safest choice for you. After all - thats what they are there for ! X
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular