early pregnancy care

puss2
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:12 pm 
Post subject: early pregnancy care
i reckon that there isn`t enough antenatal care being offered to mothers before 12 weeks. when i was pregnant, i had severe sickness, tummy pain and anxiety but no midwife to speak to. i think this is out of order. newly pregnant mothers have needs too.
who agrees?
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:39 pm 
Post subject:
Yes I totally agree with this. I had a miscarriage in a previous pregnancy so was extra nervous when I got pregnant. My GP was great and got me an extra early booking appt at 5 weeks but apart from that, nothing until my scan at 12 weeks. I had some old implantation bleeding around 6 weeks but didn't what it was so went for a couple of early scans at the local early pregnancy ward which was fabulous. If this hadn't happened I think I would be climbing the walls wondering even more trying to work out if what I am feeling is normal. Although these forums are amazing, I don't think we should have to come on and ask things on here when we should have maybe be offered an extra appt apart from the normal 8-10 weeks booking appt to have the opportunity to ask additional questions/concerns. It's all very well to be told to phone your midwife with any problems but I know that I would feel like a pleb phoning to ask most of my questions and would rather do it face to face!!! My midwife was on holiday at my first appt so meeting my official midwife will be at 16 weeks.....I think it will feel a tad odd considering I'll be pretty much halfay there!
puss2
Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:12 pm 
Post subject:
i`m sorry for you. i`m a midwife and i found out in my trainng that the reason for the 10-12 week booking is because that is the time when they know for definate that the pregnancy will continue. that totally dumbfounded me because its as if they are suggesting that people who have miscarriages aren`t entitled to any midwifery care, when really, help and support from midwives can be most invaluable at this time. also, what they are forgetting is that women can miscarry at any time before viability (24 weeks), not trying to frighten you by the way!, so what difference would it make to give mothers care earlier? frigging nhs!!!!!! and if women wanted to hire an independent midwife that may become unavailable too soon because of insurance problems ( to see what i mean go to www.independentmidwives.org.uk ), which is gutting because they can provide care right from the start! wishing you a great pregnancy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular